Naming the Ships in the Signature-class Series

SabreSailor

I know that the folks in Seattle will need all the help they can get in naming the ships in the Signature-class series, the first being the Eurodam. So how about giving them some help?

It could be that they would go with the names of continents. Then, for the next ship (already announced), how about the Ameridam? It would be consistent with the Holland America link. Maybe an Asiadam? Or an Afridam? Or an Aussiedam? South America gets more problematic - maybe a ZuiAmeridam? And if business really picks up, could we foresee an Antarticadam???

I'm looking forward to the creativity that all you HAL cruisers are known for....

There are only suppposed to be two Signature Class ships. Seeing as Eurodam is already named, that leaves only her future sister to be named.

Some folks have teased the next could be named YenDam?? :)

I don't think HAL knows what they're doing. The Signature series was dubbed Signature as a marketing ploy, playing off their "Signature of Excellence" slogan that is now found everywhere in Line (Signature beds, Signature sheets, Signature coffee, Signature chocolates, Signature service ... and, coming soon, Signature toilet paper!). There was nothing "nautical" or "planetary" in coming up with either the Series name or the name of the ship, specifically. Hence, I wouldn't expect that the second Signature ship will have any particular name that can be predicted based upon either the first ship in the series or the series name. Rather, I would look for something stupid to come out of SeattleHQ.

Sorry, SeattleHQ ... that's just how I see it. Please, prove me wrong.

Indeed ... if they manage to sell the current "Elegant Explorer" by 2009 (or thereabouts), I'd look for the second Signature ship to be named Prinsendam. While I wouldn't be happy about HAL off-loading the current ship, I wouldn't be surprised to see it by then ... and, if that happens, then naming the new ship Prinsendam would be a smart move. Which, frankly, is why I'm not going to be holding my breath to see if it happens.

I don't think HAL knows what they're doing. The Signature series was dubbed Signature as a marketing ploy, playing off their "Signature of Excellence" slogan that is now found everywhere in Line (Signature beds, Signature sheets, Signature coffee, Signature chocolates, Signature service ... and, coming soon, Signature toilet paper!). There was nothing "nautical" or "planetary" in coming up with either the Series name or the name of the ship, specifically. Hence, I wouldn't expect that the second Signature ship will have any particular name that can be predicted based upon either the first ship in the series or the series name. Rather, I would look for something stupid to come out of SeattleHQ.

Sorry, SeattleHQ ... that's just how I see it. Please, prove me wrong.

I couldn't agree more. :) I also expect a dumb, stupid name.

Stupidam:D Dumdam :D

I couldn't agree more. :) I also expect a dumb, stupid name.

Stupidam:D Dumdam :D

I certainly do not know their reason for selecting Eurodam, though we've heard about a contest they held among the employees of HAL.

But, rather than us decide how dumb they are, which, of course, they are not. These 'dumb' people run a very successful cruise line and they are so dumb they get us to not only cruise (often) on their ships but to come here and talk about it endlessly.

My speculation is the name Eurodam was selected in the hope of sending a message to Europeans HAL wants them to feel the urge to sail their ships. Seems a very large market that has hardly been tapped by mass market cruise lines that most Americans and Canadians sail the most frequently.

They sent a ship to Australia to 'serve' that market so why not a ship targeted to attract Europeans?

Maybe Eurodam's sister will target Asians?

?? YENDAM ?? :)

.........I certainly do not know their reason for selecting Eurodam, though we've heard about a contest they held among the employees of HAL.......

The name "Eurodam" was chosen as the winning entry in a "Name that ship" contest among all HAL employees. Per Stein Kruse in the official HAL press release date 11/08/06 “We chose the name Eurodam to celebrate our European and Dutch heritage and our third century of sailing in one of the world’s most popular cruising regions.”

My speculation is the name Eurodam was selected in the hope of sending a message to Europeans HAL wants them to feel the urge to sail their ships. Seems a very large market that has hardly been tapped by mass market cruise lines that most Americans and Canadians sail the most frequently.
But as long as the primary language aboard is English, and all transactions are still in $US, the overwhelming message will still be that the ships cater mainly to Americans.

But as long as the primary language aboard is English, and all transactions are still in $US, the overwhelming message will still be that the ships cater mainly to Americans.

Many (most) Europeans who would be apt to be cruising an HAL ship speak English. Sadly, our schools do not stress language studies in the same way most countries in Europe do stress the study of English and other languages foreign to their land.

But, rather than us decide how dumb they are, which, of course, they are not. These 'dumb' people run a very successful cruise line and they are so dumb they get us to not only cruise (often) on their ships but to come here and talk about it endlessly.

Maybe Eurodam's sister will target Asians?

?? YENDAM ?? :)

In view of many thing have have occurred recently, (the Crows Nest fiasco, the treatment of the Rev, to name a few) my opinion is that some very "dumb" decisions have been made. Dumdam and Stupidam seem to fit. :D

Love it. Yendam is as funny as Eurodam. :D

In view of many thing have have occurred recently, (the Crows Nest fiasco, the treatment of the Rev, to name a few) my opinion is that some very "dumb" decisions have been made. Dumdam and Stupidam seem to fit.

Love it. Yendam is as funny as Eurodam.

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. I vigorously disagree (gee....that's a shocker!! ;) ) that a hugely successful cruise line is being run by 'dumb' people. Makes me feel dumb to say it. They are immensely able people.

A bad message might be sent by the name Norodam:eek:

:confused: In what way?

She is the fourth in a series of ships which were named for directions on the compass...... Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Oosterdam and Noordam.

Noordam is not a new ship's name to HAL. She is the fourth to have the name Noordam.

Archived