Are the Newark airport hotels safe?

sparlkes

My family is going a cruise leaving Cape Liberty. We have a four hour drive from home to the port, and were considering staying overnight in Newark...just so we could be there in the morning. I have read some things about the Newark hotels that involved car break-ins, etc. Has anyone else had any problems? Also considered Elizabeth, NJ hotels...but don't know if they are any safer. At this point...I am thinking we may just drive from home. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last year we did a cruise out of Newark and stayed at the Country Inn & Suites which is in Elizabeth N.J. and felt very safe. There are about 2 or 3 hotels there altogether. Next door to the hotel is a ruby Tuesday. I would imagine that no matter where you go these days you just have be aware of your surroundings but with that said we were very pleased with the Country Inn & Suites and would stay there again.

Marilyn

My family is going a cruise leaving Cape Liberty. We have a four hour drive from home to the port, and were considering staying overnight in Newark...just so we could be there in the morning. I have read some things about the Newark hotels that involved car break-ins, etc. Has anyone else had any problems? Also considered Elizabeth, NJ hotels...but don't know if they are any safer. At this point...I am thinking we may just drive from home. Anyone have any suggestions?

cape liberty is accessible from many places...BUT...i would recommend that you look in towns like Clifton, Secaucus, Rutherford, East Rutherford (home of the NY Giants).

i recommend these towns because you'll have "more room" because newark and elizabeth are really congested areas. plus while you are there for the night there are nice (and safe...based on your concern) strip malls for you to have dinner.

take a look on the google map and see where the towns i mentioned are. they are very close to the port you will leave from. i guarantee you it won't be more then a 30min drive. it's actually not that long of a drive. but i guess it all depends on your comfort level (how close you want to be staying to the ship).

i read the thread posted above. someone there mentions something to the effect that you would be less than a mile away from the ship, but how to you get there?...the roads can get confusing in that newark/elizabeth area...and this coming from a native of the area.

plus...you might find that the towns i speak of, might be a bit cheaper since it's not near the airport.

We are also cruising from Cape Liberty and were considering driving(from the Allentown area) until I contacted our TA....He tells me Royal C. runs a bus from our area on the day of the cruise...something to consider? mb

cape liberty is accessible from many places...BUT...i would recommend that you look in towns like Clifton, Secaucus, Rutherford, East Rutherford (home of the NY Giants).

i recommend these towns because you'll have "more room" because newark and elizabeth are really congested areas. plus while you are there for the night there are nice (and safe...based on your concern) strip malls for you to have dinner.

take a look on the google map and see where the towns i mentioned are. they are very close to the port you will leave from. i guarantee you it won't be more then a 30min drive. it's actually not that long of a drive. but i guess it all depends on your comfort level (how close you want to be staying to the ship).

i read the thread posted above. someone there mentions something to the effect that you would be less than a mile away from the ship, but how to you get there?...the roads can get confusing in that newark/elizabeth area...and this coming from a native of the area.

plus...you might find that the towns i speak of, might be a bit cheaper since it's not near the airport.

Will the drive from the towns you mention to the ship be difficult on a Friday, late morning? What about traffic? How could be get into Manhattan from these locations?

What time do people arrive at Bayonne to start boarding? We always like to arrive early but that may not be as much of an issue there, I don't know...

We definitely prefer staying in a safe area, away from the airport, if practical.

Will the drive from the towns you mention to the ship be difficult on a Friday, late morning? What about traffic? How could be get into Manhattan from these locations?

What time do people arrive at Bayonne to start boarding? We always like to arrive early but that may not be as much of an issue there, I don't know...

We definitely prefer staying in a safe area, away from the airport, if practical.

i am sure i can tell you that it will be fine and that you won't have traffic. but anything can happen...even if you stayed in newark. from these towns you will be taking the NJ Turnpike from these towns...and like i said...timewise...it won't be bad at all. (just don't cut it too close).

as for getting into manhattan from those towns. those towns are right on NJ Route 3...that's the direct highway to the Lincoln Tunnel...a quick in and out to manhattan. and if you are here for a full day...i can even help you with public transportation...it's super easy!

putting things into perspective...

i live in Passaic, NJ. on a perfect day, it would only take me 15-20min to get into manhattan...i am THAT close. my wife and i will sail on the Spirit Aug 4...and we plan to leave our place at 9am...AND my dad will be driving us. i just have this thing about being on the ship super early as i can. and i'd rather be milling around at the pier, than stressing out a few hours before ALL ABOARD.

when do you plan to arrive in our area?

i am sure i can tell you that it will be fine and that you won't have traffic. but anything can happen...even if you stayed in newark. from these towns you will be taking the NJ Turnpike from these towns...and like i said...timewise...it won't be bad at all. (just don't cut it too close).

as for getting into manhattan from those towns. those towns are right on NJ Route 3...that's the direct highway to the Lincoln Tunnel...a quick in and out to manhattan. and if you are here for a full day...i can even help you with public transportation...it's super easy!

putting things into perspective...

i live in Passaic, NJ. on a perfect day, it would only take me 15-20min to get into manhattan...i am THAT close. my wife and i will sail on the Spirit Aug 4...and we plan to leave our place at 9am...AND my dad will be driving us. i just have this thing about being on the ship super early as i can. and i'd rather be milling around at the pier, than stressing out a few hours before ALL ABOARD.

when do you plan to arrive in our area?

Great info! If we go into Manhattan at all we will want to take public transportation. I have been to Manhattan many times on business and I don't want to drive OR park there! We plan to arrive mid-afternoon, go to the hotel, then go into Manhattan, and probably have dinner there before returning to the hotel. We leave the next morning for the cruise. We sail the day before you do, on the Explorer! (We had planned on staying longer in the NYC/NJ area before the cruise but some family issues are preventing that...:( )

Are there hotels in Passaic where you live? Which location would you recommend I check first for a safe area hotel, access into Manhattan, and no more than 30 minutes' drive to the port?

La Quinta (Clifton, NJ - Rt 3 eastbound, attached to Red Robin, a gourmet burger joint.)

Howard Johnson (Clifton, NJ -Rt 3 westbound, attached to IHOP) - it's older...but i think you'll be please with it's modest accomodations.

near this hotels you'll have the Clifton Commons...a shopping and movie complex.

from Clifton, you will be able to take several bus lines OR NJ Transit Rail. i'll have to check the bus routes...i think there is a bus stop right near both of those hotels.

i know FOR SURE that the train station is like seconds from them (because that's the station that my wife and i use).

Passaic doesn't have any motels and hotels...at least not the kind for "overnight".

Are these better than Secaucus and Jersey City? I saw them listed on another post. There are a bunch going on this topic right now!

cruislovin...clifton, secaucus, and jersey city are all within the same area.

as an example: let's just use the NYC pier as the destination

clifton = 30min (that's with mild traffic and congestion along westside hwy)

secaucus = 20min (same conditions)

jersey city = 15-20min depending on if you take lincoln or holland tunnel.

as an example: let's just use the NYC pier as the destination

clifton = 30min (that's with mild traffic and congestion along westside hwy)

secaucus = 20min (same conditions)

jersey city = 15-20min depending on if you take lincoln or holland tunnel.

Can you give a rough estimate on cab fare from EWR to the Secaucus area, as well as Secaucus to the Cape Liberty Pier??

This will be the determining factor in our choice.. We expect 5 or more couples sailing with us to make the same arrangements..

Either Newark Airport Hilton or something near Secaucus.. Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn Harmon...:)

Can you give a rough estimate on cab fare from EWR to the Secaucus area, as well as Secaucus to the Cape Liberty Pier??

This will be the determining factor in our choice.. We expect 5 or more couples sailing with us to make the same arrangements..

Either Newark Airport Hilton or something near Secaucus.. Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn Harmon...:)

i'll have to get back to you on that one. clearly i don't utilze the cabs. will have to call 1 or 2 cab services and see what i come up with.

i'll have to get back to you on that one. clearly i don't utilze the cabs. will have to call 1 or 2 cab services and see what i come up with.
Would appreciate the help.. I'm sure others will be watching for the info, as well..:p

About $50.00 from EWR to Secaucus. About $35.00 to the port from Secaucus. As I posted in your other thread, taxis in NJ are pretty darn expensive.

Here is a list for just about anyplace in NJ/NY.

http://www.secaucustaxi.com/taxicabrates/index.htm

Just my thoughts:

IF you have a car, stay anyplace around Secaucus, Clifton, East Rutherford, etc. or even further out is fine. You don't want to stay around Bayonne-no decent hotels and parts of Bayonne are pretty scroungy.

IF you don't have a car, taxi rates are VERY high. The Sheraton Meadowlands is the only hotel in the neighborhood which has a complimentary airport shuttle that I know of.

IF you are only staying for one night and boarding your cruise the next morning, any of the airport HOTELS are fine. Stay away from the motel type establishments-if for NO OTHER REASON than there is NO PLACE to eat. You do NOT want to go wandering around the Newark airport area walking at night. Very industrial, lots of "ladies of the evening" and their pimps, drug dealers, etc. One of the big grocery warehouses is directly behind the airport-the trucks line up about 9:00PM to deliver their loads and every "hustler" in the Newark area is hanging around.

Please be aware that ALL Marriott's nationwide are non smoking-rooms, bars, etc.

IF you are staying for more than one night, either go to Jersey City (the Hyatt, the Doubletree), Hilton Gateway Center (Penn Station), or one of the hotels around Meadowlands. Lots of places to eat, shop, and transport into NYC is very easy. The Hilton Gateway is the only area hotel other than the Sheraton Meadowlands that has an airport shuttle. So be prepared to pay for a taxi from the airport and to the port, as well as generally higher hotel rates. The Shertaon Meadowlands is frequently available on Priceline for about $85.00-90.00 per night.

cruislovin...clifton, secaucus, and jersey city are all within the same area.

Which of these is the "easiest" drive to Bayonne or are they all about the same? We have a GPS which definitely helps, even if we get lost!

Does anyone know if I can specifically get these locations on Priceline? If not, what do I have to request?

Which of these is the "easiest" drive to Bayonne or are they all about the same? We have a GPS which definitely helps, even if we get lost!

Does anyone know if I can specifically get these locations on Priceline? If not, what do I have to request?

they are about the same since they are actually in that order from west to east (along Route 3)

clifton

secaucus

jersey city

Highest star rating you can bid, Secaucus/North Bergen area will usually get you the Crown Plaza, Wyndam or Embassy Suites. Rutherford/Meadowlands will usually get you the Sheraton Meadowlands.

Just my thoughts:

IF you have a car, stay anyplace around Secaucus, Clifton, East Rutherford, etc. or even further out is fine. You don't want to stay around Bayonne-no decent hotels and parts of Bayonne are pretty scroungy.

IF you don't have a car, taxi rates are VERY high. The Sheraton Meadowlands is the only hotel in the neighborhood which has a complimentary airport shuttle that I know of.

IF you are only staying for one night and boarding your cruise the next morning, any of the airport HOTELS are fine. Stay away from the motel type establishments-if for NO OTHER REASON than there is NO PLACE to eat. You do NOT want to go wandering around the Newark airport area walking at night. Very industrial, lots of "ladies of the evening" and their pimps, drug dealers, etc. One of the big grocery warehouses is directly behind the airport-the trucks line up about 9:00PM to deliver their loads and every "hustler" in the Newark area is hanging around. hahaha

There are no Hotels in Bayonne.

The Hotels at Newark Airport are ALL chock full of Pilots, flight attendants and professionals that are travelling, go for one of the Marriotts and you're guaranteed no issues. As for ladies of the evening, drug dealers & pimps...*lmao*, you really wandered off to the one tiny "spot" probably outside the "one" go go bar in the area. (FYI: there is always one near every airport) There are no "issues" in this area of what you mentioned.

Im not sure I would recommend staying as far as secaucus or the

E Rutherford area, they are significantly further and there IS CURRENTLY ALOT of construction along these routes. A 15+ minute ride might take double- if not somewhat longer. Not worth the risk. Who needs the stress?

Id safely recommend;

The Sheraton or Marriott's (2) @ Newark Airport (sry I dont have the #)- or Courtyard by Marriott at Jersey Gardens 908-436-9800 It is Brand new & across from Jersey Gardens (HUGE & INDOOR) Outlet Mall. Minutes from Cape Liberty and the Airport. The towne is "Elizabeth", there are 2 other brand new Hotels next to the Courtyard but I cant recall the names. Jersey gardens is a huge draw for tourists who want high end outlet shopping- it is not a high crime area or a hustle area, it is not brick city- Newark, and some might confuse the Airport with being In a bad-dont-go to area. I shop @ Jersey Gardens often *smiles & dances" for great shopping! I park my $50k car there WITHOUT worry of crime or pimps.

As far as I know, the Meadowlands Sheraton will shuttle you to the airport, NOT to Cape Liberty. The Rolling Stones stay at that Sheraton when they have played here in E Rutherford!!!!

Dont flame me this is just all fact, not opinion.

Holiday Inn Harmon...:)

stlrboo;

Someone from NJ feel free to correct me if Im wrong..

but Holiday Inn Harmon.........

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

It is Jersey city but omg NOT in a nice part & JC is small to begin with. It is nasty, nasty nasty!! It lies somewhere very close to the tunnel. Nope...dont do it.

cruisedivenj

i'd have to respectfully disagree that the aforementioned towns near the meadowlands area are really that far out. FOR ALL VISITORS to our area: if you look into Jersey City...stick to the area known as Pavonia/Newport...it's by the waterfront. this is the place where you will have secure parking in a nice area, near the Path Train to NYC.

i don't travel the NJ TPK, 440, 1-9, GSP, I-78 on a regular basis. i'm just curious where the traffic is. i agree construction can slow things down...but not to the point where people would be stressed from clifton, secaucus, rutherford.

i'll say it again...the reason i feel those areas are better is because of the access to food, shopping, and NYC. sure...you can get those things in the area around EWR and Cape Liberty...but i think the roads can honestly get confusing to those who do not live here...and i'm really looking at the big picture.

most of the posters in the various threads will be here for an overnight...maybe 2 days. so it might be a challenge to pack in all the fun they want...especially in the area of EWR.

as for your $50k car...

even P-O-S cars get stolen. anything can happen to any car any day of the week in any town. and if these travelers opt to use their own car...auto theft, vandalism...etc...all come with being a car owner. that's why we have insurance.

TIME OUT!!!

i've been re-reading the thread. but have we ever determined when the OP was departing on their cruise? i just assume they are sailling away on a Sat or Sun...but we all know cruises leave on weekdays also.

i say this because if on wknd...then no need to fear traffic or construction.

cruisedivenj

even P-O-S cars get stolen. anything can happen to any car any day of the week in any town. and if these travelers opt to use their own car...auto theft, vandalism...etc...all come with the territory. that's why we have insurance.

: ) Agreed, totally, anything can happen anywhere. My point was it isnt as "tough" as an out of town poster made it sound.

Happy Sailing!

(I have to ask DH the exact roads the construction is on.... directly off of the tpk, but good luck to those on them! (Liberty's preinaugural weekend- that was a Sunday) ughhh, it was a drag, really. lol

Archived