Are the Newark airport hotels safe?

sparlkes

: ) Agreed, totally, anything can happen anywhere. My point was it isnt as "tough" as an out of town poster made it sound.

Happy Sailing!

well...yeah. as we know...our neck of the country gets a bad rap for being unsafe just because...

i swear sometimes i should just invest my money in a plot of land and turn that into Pax Parking. and undercut all the other places around.

There are no Hotels in Bayonne.

Between the two threads about Newark/Cape Liberty hotels, someone posted about accommodations in Bayonne-there are NO hotels. There are two motels in Bayonne-Hudson Plaza Motel-junction of 440 and 1 & 9 and Hudson Motor Lodge-slightly north of JFK Blvd/440/I-78 junction. Both owned by the same people as well as their other motel on Tonnele Ave in Jersey City. Neither hotel/motel recommended for cruise travelers.

The Hotels at Newark Airport are ALL chock full of Pilots, flight attendants and professionals that are travelling, go for one of the Marriotts and you're guaranteed no issues. As for ladies of the evening, drug dealers & pimps...*lmao*, you really wandered off to the one tiny "spot" probably outside the "one" go go bar in the area. (FYI: there is always one near every airport) There are no "issues" in this area of what you mentioned.

The airport HOTELS are fine. I posted that. But some of the other posters wanted to know about the motels in the area. Really makes me wonder how many times you have actually been in the area from Exit 14 South on 1 & 9/Spring Street area (where most of the motels are located) after 9:00PM. The airport proper area is fine.

The rest of the area, due to lack food establishments at most of the motels, is NOT safe walking around. Any of the places close to Dowd Ave can be really sleazy. I just had my admin look it up-I paid for motel/hotel accommodations for my employees in the area from Exit 15E to Exit 13 for 283 nights in 2006. Maybe I should have everyone write a trip report instead of just telling me "they will never stay there again". I myself stayed in hotels in the NJ area-Secaucus, Jersey City, Newark, Elizabeth over 45 nights in 2006. And our company's NY/NJ office was off Exit 15E for almost 20 years. I spend A LOT of time in the airport area and at Port Newark/Elizabeth and Bayonne. It's my job!!!!.

Im not sure I would recommend staying as far as secaucus or the

E Rutherford area, they are significantly further and there IS CURRENTLY ALOT of construction along these routes. A 15+ minute ride might take double- if not somewhat longer. Not worth the risk. Who needs the stress?

Id safely recommend;

The Sheraton or Marriott's (2) @ Newark Airport (sry I dont have the #)- or Courtyard by Marriott at Jersey Gardens 908-436-9800 It is Brand new & across from Jersey Gardens (HUGE & INDOOR) Outlet Mall. Minutes from Cape Liberty and the Airport. The towne is "Elizabeth", there are 2 other brand new Hotels next to the Courtyard but I cant recall the names. Jersey gardens is a huge draw for tourists who want high end outlet shopping- it is not a high crime area or a hustle area, it is not brick city- Newark, and some might confuse the Airport with being In a bad-dont-go to area. I shop @ Jersey Gardens often *smiles & dances" for great shopping! I park my $50k car there WITHOUT worry of crime or pimps.

As far as I know, the Meadowlands Sheraton will shuttle you to the airport, NOT to Cape Liberty. The Rolling Stones stay at that Sheraton when they have played here in E Rutherford!!!!

Dont flame me this is just all fact, not opinion.

You must look at the entire situation in these threads. One poster is in charge of a group of 10+ couples. That group is staying 2/3 days. They need accommations with easy transport to NYC AND food that is NOT the same-o, same-o expensive hotel food for 2/3 days. They also need transport that is not going to cost an arm and a leg for 10+ trips to get everyone from the airport to a hotel/motel. Add onto that transport for every couple to the port and you have easily added $800-1000 to the cost of hotels for 10+ couples. It's truly difficult to please everyone, but I believe the group has set a budget for themselves and adding additional taxi/shuttle charges kills it.

As you posted, the hotels around Jersey Gardens are fine. In fact, almost anything (except Bayonne) on the EAST side of I-95 is OK. However, you again run into the problem of transport to and from the airport and transport to NYC for sightseeing. With a large group, it gets expensive, especially if you are sightseeing 2/3 days in a row. And even IF a hotel has a complimentary shuttle to/from the airport, getting on AirTrain, then transferring to PATH or NJ transit for a couple of days in a row could be cumbersome and tiring. Hence, my suggestion of the Hilton Penn Station and Sheraton Meadowlands. Both hotels have complimentary airport shuttles AND they are very close to inexpensive transport to NYC.

For those only flying in one night and leaving on a cruise the following day, any of the hotels suggested are fine. Just be prepared for pretty expensive taxi fares IF you go outside the airport area proper hotels, with complimentary shuttles.

These are DEFINITELY FACTS. I have the receipts to prove it!!!!

greatam,

yeah that's the whole thing in a nutshell right there. comes down to the needs and plans and size of the travelers/groups arriving in our area.

very well put with the simple "come the night before for an overnight"...those pax just want a simple relaxation.

then there are others that want a pre-vacation session. but no matter what...we still live in the best part of the state if you plan on sailing the nj or ny ports.

well...yeah. as we know...our neck of the country gets a bad rap for being unsafe just because...

LOL Why is it we get the bad rap!?

i swear sometimes i should just invest my money in a plot of land and turn that into Pax Parking. and undercut all the other places around.

ZoneHPH,

LOL!! I can locate that plot of land for you, just say the word! :)

What are your predicted rates?? lol

sailboat.gifsailboat.gif

I must admit that I am the one who probably 'threw the wrench' into the thread and made it way too complicated, unless someone read the entire thread!! :rolleyes:

I am the volunteer 'Group Leader' on a cruise sailing from Cape Liberty on the EOS on April 11, 2008 (Friday). Several couples, including me, have opted to two days pre-cruise, while some are opting for one! I have 4 couples ready to book within the group for a hotel, but under the 'minimum' of 5 for most hotel 'group' rates.:o

Anyhow, we ALL are flying into EWR (Newark) and hope to spend April 10 (Thursday) in NYC, hopefully taking in the sites and possibly the 'semi-circle' harbor cruise with Circle-Line Sightseeing. Since we are flying in, we had hoped to stay at the airport area (trying to eliminate taxi fares to Jersey City or Secaucus), and possibly taking the ferry to Manhattan... possibly Pier 79.

Thus, our experience or requests would differ greatly from those driving in, and not worrying about exhorbitant taxi rates, etc.. :eek: I had asked for a 'contract' with the Hilton Penn Station, which would have been ideal, only to find out that the 'Sales Manager' had made an error and the proposed $169. rate was really $229. POOP!

We are now trying to get a contract with the EWR Airport Hilton or Sheraton Airport.. at $159. +.. For our situation, I think one of these will be OUR best bet.. If I was driving, my choices would definitely be different.. :p

Hope I have 'cleared the air'.. Everyone has been very helpful..

Thought some might be interested in this post from another thread I'm on. (Info is regarding Explorer, but Im sure pertains to others as well)

airport transfers are available for 25.00 per person from the ship to Newark. You would get them at the Guest Relation desk onboard. :)

My family is going a cruise leaving Cape Liberty. We have a four hour drive from home to the port, and were considering staying overnight in Newark...just so we could be there in the morning. I have read some things about the Newark hotels that involved car break-ins, etc. Has anyone else had any problems? Also considered Elizabeth, NJ hotels...but don't know if they are any safer. At this point...I am thinking we may just drive from home. Anyone have any suggestions?

Understand something -- Newark Liberty AP is located in Elizabeth NJ. It is not nor has it ever been in Newark. :rolleyes:

The hotels near the AP by the Jersey Gardens mall are just fine. The hotel on the grounds of the AP is very secure. I think it's a Marriott. I'd have some concerns, not based on actual fact, about the variety of hotels up & down Routes 1-9, 21 & 22. If youy are thinking about staying there, go with a named chain hotel. The Hilton in downtown Newark proper is also very safe.

beware of the hourly rate!

hehehehehehhehe. *insert rimshot here*

Good20Morning20Smiley.gif

I have a question....spend thousands of dollars to cruise, but nickle and dime where you're going to stay for an overnight? (not in regard to people looking to be tourists for more than overnight and find sights to see). Does saving $40 make that much of a difference? If you're talking $300+ a night it makes a diff but these are all average priced hotels. I dont know, I can speak for myself, lol an icky motel wouldnt be an exciting prelude to my cruise lol

Zone, lol thx for the info on the hourly rates places. ;) hehe Im keeping that in mind. lol

26 days until I sail!! Yay!

Good20Morning20Smiley.gif

I have a question....spend thousands of dollars to cruise, but nickle and dime where you're going to stay for an overnight? (not in regard to people looking to be tourists for more than overnight and find sights to see). Does saving $40 make that much of a difference? If you're talking $300+ a night it makes a diff but these are all average priced hotels. I dont know, I can speak for myself, lol an icky motel wouldnt be an exciting prelude to my cruise lol

[/left]

It's not JUST an extra $40.00 for different hotels. Quite a few people fly to join a cruise. You must take into consideration that most of those WON'T have a car. So transport to and from the airport, transport for food, transport possibly for sightseeing and transport to the ship must be added in. Could easily add another $150.00 to the cost of ONE night in a hotel.

If I had my choice, I would consistently stay at the Hyatt in Jersey City, if for no other reason than that gorgeous view. Add an extra $90.00 for taxi to the hotel from the airport and to the port plus about $40.00 extra for the hotel over other accommodations in MOST in the area (Elizabeth to Secaucus) and it has just cost me an extra $130.00 for ONE NIGHT. Almost as much as the per diem on a lot of cruises and I haven't been entertained, catered to or fed.

One big reason I stay at the Sheraton Meadowlands frequently-I can usually get a room on Priceline for $85-90.00, complimentary airport shuttle and there are lots of food options nearby.

If you don't take taxi's very often-NJ taxis are very expensive. Here is a list from EWR to just about any town in NJ. Not cheap by any means.

http://www.secaucustaxi.com/taxicabrates/index.htm

they are about the same since they are actually in that order from west to east (along Route 3)

clifton

secaucus

jersey city

Does anyone know about construction issues from any of these locations?

Also, which is easiest to get into and out of Manhattan using public transit?

The cruise we are taking leaves on a Friday. Where I live, Friday traffic is generally the worst of the entire week !!!

I also saw some hotels in North Bergen - any issues with this area? Tripadvisor makes it sound as though it is an industrial area but am not sure about distance, safety, etc...

The cruise we are taking leaves on a Friday. Where I live, Friday traffic is generally the worst of the entire week !!!

I also saw some hotels in North Bergen - any issues with this area? Tripadvisor makes it sound as though it is an industrial area but am not sure about distance, safety, etc...

Into/out of Manhattan using public transport-NJ Penn Station, Jersey City (for PATH), or Secaucus-train/NJ transit

North Bergen (1 & 9/Tonnele Ave) is VERY industrial.

Friday mornings from about 10:30-2:30 are not toooo bad. But after 2:30, it will be a zoo.

cruislovin, i forgot if you said you had a car. and i'm too lazy to follow up and find it. but if you are driving.

Rt 3 eastbound/westbound = currently no active construction from Clifton (most western town of the 3...all the way into the Lincoln Tunnel)...all 3 have access to this highway.

(i bet Murphy's Law will kick in...tomorrow 2 miles will get blocked off and narrowed down to 1 lane)

while buses do go to NYC...they aren't any better than a car. not to mention all the local stops. take greatam's advice on the rail system. it's VERY easy best recommendation would be the Newport/Pavonia station to pick up the Path train and there is parking.

rail is the way to go. if there is highway traffic buses will get stuck too.

My family is going a cruise leaving Cape Liberty. We have a four hour drive from home to the port, and were considering staying overnight in Newark...just so we could be there in the morning. I have read some things about the Newark hotels that involved car break-ins, etc. Has anyone else had any problems? Also considered Elizabeth, NJ hotels...but don't know if they are any safer. At this point...I am thinking we may just drive from home. Anyone have any suggestions?

sparlkes,

The hotels in Elizabeth, NJ are perfect for a nights stay before cruising. They are probably the closest to the port and they're safe. We stayed at The Marriott and were very happy, it is at the airport. Dont stay in Newark.

when are you cruising?

Bella Sailing

We stayed at The Marriott and were very happy, it is at the airport. Dont stay in Newark.
If I could afford the Marriott 'at' the airport, I'd pay the cab fare and spend the night at the Doubletree Jersey City.. Probably still come out on the + side...:rolleyes: :D

Seriously tho', I've tried to get a good rate at the Airport Marriott, and have been unsuccessful..:( This 'group' thing can get to be a bear at times..;)

cruislovin, i forgot if you said you had a car. and i'm too lazy to follow up and find it. but if you are driving.

Rt 3 eastbound/westbound = currently no active construction from Clifton (most western town of the 3...all the way into the Lincoln Tunnel)...all 3 have access to this highway.

(i bet Murphy's Law will kick in...tomorrow 2 miles will get blocked off and narrowed down to 1 lane)

while buses do go to NYC...they aren't any better than a car. not to mention all the local stops. take greatam's advice on the rail system. it's VERY easy best recommendation would be the Newport/Pavonia station to pick up the Path train and there is parking.

rail is the way to go. if there is highway traffic buses will get stuck too.

Yes, we will have a car.

Once I get a hotel booked (if I ever do - sometimes I wonder as we cannot decide where we want to stay ...) maybe someone can tell me the best way to get into Manhattan. How late does the public transit run to get back to the hotels?

Yes, we will have a car.

Once I get a hotel booked (if I ever do - sometimes I wonder as we cannot decide where we want to stay ...) maybe someone can tell me the best way to get into Manhattan. How late does the public transit run to get back to the hotels?

that can best be answered once we figure out where you will book a hotel. not all buses run 24hrs...some do. the PATH train does not run all night. i can only speak from the 33rd St station in NYC...last train (at least to Hoboken)...is 11:47pm.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

(Just in case) ;)

The construction I was talking about was at Exit 13 (NJ tpk) & followed from there- it was horrible and didnt appear to be near completion. I'm coming from 8a/9 area. (insignificant since the thread is now about a sail in 2008,but it wasnt originally)

The *OP* didnt mention date of sail, all they really asked was if EWR Airport hotels were safe! lmao No wonder they never posted again.

Since this thread has morphed into regarding a specific April 08 (?) sail and one poster, Im sorry one felt the need to criticize MY information, noone on this board has been arrogant to my posts, EVER. (well once but she was immediately removed her for her repeated threats of others) Yes, it does happen, even to well seasoned members.

Ask any Host regarding CC policy of respectful "netiquette"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#13

My Motto:

PLAY NICE & RESPECT OTHERS.

Watch your tongue before you TYPE! Your words = Your Integrity.

Try it.

(Just in case) ;)

The construction I was talking about was at Exit 13 (NJ tpk) & followed from there- it was horrible and didnt appear to be near completion. I'm coming from 8a/9 area. (insignificant since the thread is now about a sail in 2008,but it wasnt originally)

The *OP* didnt mention date of sail, all they really asked was if EWR Airport hotels were safe! lmao No wonder they never posted again.

Since this thread has morphed into regarding a specific April 08 (?) sail and one poster, Im sorry one felt the need to criticize MY information, noone on this board has been arrogant to my posts, EVER. (well once but she was immediately removed her for her repeated threats of others) Yes, it does happen, even to well seasoned members.

Ask any Host regarding CC policy of respectful "netiquette"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#13

My Motto:

PLAY NICE & RESPECT OTHERS.

Watch your tongue before you TYPE! Your words = Your Integrity.

Try it.

Since this was directed at me, I shall address it. You are a New Jersey resident.

I am the owner of a global logisitics company, with offices in Missouri, Arizona, and NYC. We look at things from totally different perspectives.

I have about 50 employees, of which 40 travel coast to coast. Our MAIN route is NJ/NYC to California, either across I-80 or I-40. My drivers spend an average of 6 days a month in and around EWR, Port Elizabeth/Newark/Bayonne and the entire 5 boroughs of NYC. They usually stay in hotels/motels in those areas at least 3 out of the 6 days.

I myself fly into NYC at least once a month and spend at least 5 days making nice with my customers. When I asked how many times you have been around EWR (NOT leaving on a plane) after 9:00PM, I was serious. Not dissing you, just curious.

Most of our deliveries (food products) are delivered in the evenings/ very early mornings. Therefore, my employees and I ARE in those areas at that time of evening. Not nice areas-no place to eat except for a couple of diners. But those diners are NOT safe walking distance from any the motels (Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc.). And NJ residents are not prone to taking taxis.

Between myself and my employees, we have tried most of the hotels/motels from Secaucus to Elizabeth. We also often have to take public transport to pick up paperwork, see customers, or just have some fun. Not easy to take a 65 foot semi to the movie theater (although Meadowlands has special parking for trucks, which allows my guys to see a lot of football and basketball games).

From this perspective, as a frequent traveler to the area, comes my info. No disrespect to you-but as a resident, you most likely are not staying in those hotels or are you taking taxis frequently. I sure couldn't tell you the BEST hotel to stay at in Phoenix or northern Missouri from personal experience. I have houses there, so no need for accommodations. I am sure your situation is much the same.

Is there a point to having to explain your livelyhood?

cruisedivanj@yahoo if you want.

CC is no place for this conversation.

i agree to your last sentence. however, i feel greatam's need to preface his statement with some background on his livelihood allows us to understand that his advice comes with credibility...as do we, by the fact that we live in NJ.

for example...one would be more inclined to think that i would know passaic, essex, bergen, and hudson counties because i live nearby (the famous exit 16W on the NJ Tpk). i could easily take the fact that you live down by exit 8a/9 as "what do you really know about this area"...sure you might know the airport...but i doubt you know anything about the hotels. i sure as heck don't know hotels other than their chain names.

but ask me anything about driving distances and restaurants...i sure can give an opinion.

taxis...who the heck rides them in NJ? i would recommend limo before offering cab service. but you get my point.

greatam was just showing proof or credibility since he and his employees frequent the areas in question. that's all.

hakuna matata

i agree to your last sentence. however, i feel greatam's need to preface his statement with some background on his livelihood allows us to understand that his advice comes with credibility...as do we, by the fact that we live in NJ.

for example...one would be more inclined to think that i would know passaic, essex, bergen, and hudson counties because i live nearby (the famous exit 16W on the NJ Tpk). i could easily take the fact that you live down by exit 8a/9 as "what do you really know about this area"...sure you might know the airport...but i doubt you know anything about the hotels. i sure as heck don't know hotels other than their chain names.

but ask me anything about driving distances and restaurants...i sure can give an opinion.

taxis...who the heck rides them in NJ? i would recommend limo before offering cab service. but you get my point.

greatam was just showing proof or credibility since he and his employees frequent the areas in question. that's all.

hakuna matata

True...you're right...Well said...

Truth is men and women just dont think alike on these issues.... To be honest, Id never think of venturing "out" anywhere near an airport and Id like to beleive everyone is just as intuitive. If "I" was staying over night to be local to catch a cruise...which I have in good ole Florida, thats what I would be doing, "staying over night". If I was looking for entertainment, that would be different. I dont t ake taxi cabs either. Everyone has different needs.

Thanks for a clear perspective. thanx.gif

hakuna matata

It's SHE and HER employees. So my thoughts are not only from a frequent traveler perspective, but from a women's perspective.

It's SHE and HER employees. So my thoughts are not only from a frequent traveler perspective, but from a women's perspective.

sorry about that...male-centric, i am.

but women behind the wheel of a semi...now that's HOT!!!

Archived