Train w/ open glass top??

Melissa_A

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mscloyd:

It seems like I read that the cars with the glass top are cruiseline owned (Princess, maybe?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Princess definitely has glass topped ones on the run between Fairbanks and Anchorage.

I believe HAL does, too.

Thanks for the replies. The travel channel ran a special show on the RCCL Radiance to Alaska and I think they showcased the glass topped trains. I could be wrong though.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

...until Alaska, Radiance Of The Seas

http://www.trainweb.org/carl/halx2003/McKinley.htm

http://www.360360.com/touristrr/hollandamerica.html

Two site for the Holland America's McKinley Explorer. It runs from Anchorage to Fairbanks and stops in Denali. We are on it for a post-cruise tour the first weekend in June.

Hope this helps you.

"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"

Check with the Alaska Railroad. Some of their cars have the domed tops. Note princess, RCCL, & Holland america use the same train to pull their cars so go for the best price because ou will have the same schedule. The Princess cars have appro90 people per car and the Holland America cars carry about 70< Rhe Holland and RCCL cars are new and have some better features but check the Alaska Railroad as you may save a lot.

Enjoy

I booked Alaska RR from Anchorage to Seward last year - there were 2 dome cars - no one was assigned seats to them but we could go up there and sit and then return to our assigned seat. Here are 2 pics of the 2 dome cars on my trip:

Image-DCE1DCD09EE711D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Image-DCE203109EE711D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

We were on a Princess Cruisetour 2 years ago from Fairbanks to Seward. The train runs from Fairbanks to Anchorage and then we went on a luxury bus from Anchorage to kenai Peninsula for 2 nights and then on to Seward to get on the ship. You book the glass domed train through your cruise line/TA. As someone said before there are many different cruiselines which have coaches that are pulled by the Alaska RR train - but the coaches differ slightly. We went into the HAL coaches and took a peek - Princess coaches were by far the best. If you take a look at the pictures above of RCCL coaches - take note where the glass dome ends on the roof. The princess coaches the glass dome curves right to the apex. You might say - so what's the big deal? The difference is that you travel close to the mountains and cliffs and with the almost total glass above you - you can see everything - it was amazing!! The most gorgeous trip we have ever taken.

Actually the land tour (Denali, Mt. McKinley, Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula) are what made us fall totally in love with Alaska - it was stunning. We went in September and got a bonus, it was fall, and the beauty of all the trees and foliage were beyond compare!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Diamond Princess 5/8/2004 Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;6;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Millenium 9/6/2004 to Europe!

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

thanks for the info. my geography of alaska is non-existant...and I've found that I won't be anywhere near where I need to be in order to take these trains. (going only as far north as Hubbard glacier). I guess this is why everyone seems to go back to Alaska over and over...so much to see and do.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

...until Alaska, Radiance Of The Seas

The glass dome train up to Fairbanks is a comfortable ride with very little scenery between Anchorage and Denali. The tracks are lined with trees. My mom and I went on the trip a few years back and the train ride was little more than transportation.

Terri

Well, even though you are not going on this train now, maybe this information could help someone else.

There is one track north of Anchorage (Anchorage to Fairbanks) and one track south of Anchorage (Anchorage to Seward). There is one engine that pulls ALL cars. Some of these cars are "Princess Dome Midnight Sun" rail cars, some are "Holland America McKinley Explorer" rail cars, some are "Royal Celebrity" domed rail cars, and the rest are Alaska railroad cars. ALL on the same train.

Now if you are on a cruise, or not on a cruise, you can buy a Princess rail car ticket, or Holland America rail car, or an Alaska vintage rail car ticket no matter what cruise line you are on. However, you cannot buy Royal Celebrity car tickets unless you are on their cruisetours.

What is the difference you ask? A big nothing! They squak about 2 inches more head room, 2 inches more feet room, but they are all glass domed rail cars. The biggest difference is with the Alaska railcars. They are not really domed (all glass). They have lots of glass and big windows, and are cheaper!

The thing you should be considering is do you want to be in one place for 8 hours to get from Anchorage to Denali, without being able to stop to take photos. (8:so AM - 4 PM) Do you want to stop in Talkeenta for a night. This is a MUST DO in my book. To pass this area over, is a mortal sin. You will understand why when you are there.

If anyone wants further details, feel free to e-mail me. Corky@1anchorsaway.com

Corky in Alaska

Archived