Spending Time in Anchorage

jessinphilly

Any thoughts on whether a car would be useful in Anchorage. We'll be there for two days before coming home. I was shocked at the rental prices and the taxes (that add 30%). Is a car worthwhile or if we're staying downtown is everything easily accessible? Thanks to all!

Do your homework and decide what you wish to see and do while in Anchorage. It is a big spread out city, with plenty of attractions. IF your priority is downtown only, then no you don't need a car. But, if you wish to get farther, then a car is the way to go in my opinion. I always have a car here, just necessary for my priorities.

http://www.anchorage.net

Any thoughts on whether a car would be useful in Anchorage. We'll be there for two days before coming home. I was shocked at the rental prices and the taxes (that add 30%). Is a car worthwhile or if we're staying downtown is everything easily accessible? Thanks to all!

If you really want a car, book EARLY if possible - I booked 10-11 months in advance and got a great rate.

Secondly, if possible pick up the car downtown or at an off-airport location to avoid the hefty airport surcharges. Note that you can still return the car to the airport if you pick it up downtown and you won't pay the surcharges.

John

If you really want a car, book EARLY if possible - I booked 10-11 months in advance and got a great rate.

Secondly, if possible pick up the car downtown or at an off-airport location to avoid the hefty airport surcharges. Note that you can still return the car to the airport if you pick it up downtown and you won't pay the surcharges.

John

John, I did a check on both options (Anchorage airport to Anchorage airport and downtown Anchorage to downtown Anchorage) and the only difference for us was about $20, the price of the cab from the airport to downtown. For us, we would take the Anchorage airport to Anchorage airport. The office downtown is not opened as late as the airport return. We can drop off the car at the airport and take a municipal bus back to downtown. More convenient and fits into our travel schedule.

I realize that size of car, number of rental days, and date of rental will make a difference. I just want to encourage the traveler to check out ALL options to see what suits the traveler best. Also, don't forget that AAA gets a discount that you can apply in Alaska! :)

If you're there on a weekend, the Saturday Market (both Saturday and Sunday) is fun, and the Anchorage Museum of History and Art is outstanding (if you don't see a moose anywhere else, there's one on the second floor). Nancy

We loved the Anchorage Museum of History and Art! It has many international artists represented, plus lots of displays to do with the history and heritage of the people of Alaska. It was a thrill to see their pipeline display (I am certifiable). They have displays of various dwellings of the early native peoples along with examples of their arts and crafts. We were not there on the weekend, but would have enjoyed the market, too. We also visited the Earthquake Park and learned that it is more of a memorial than anything else. We drove up to the parking lot for Flattop Mountain and walked out to the overlook. It was breathtaking.

If you have a car, you should go to Seward and look into a Kenai Fjords boat tour. We enjoyed that as well. The drive was very scenic and we ran out of superlatives in no time.....

Archived