Questions for you travel agents

taffy12

I'm considering going back to school to get a certificate in travel agency operations and was wondering what kind of perks agents get these days, both with cruises and other travel. I know about fam trips, but what about travel in general, with regular passengers and tourists? That's not to say though, that I'm only in it for the discounts and such; I'm interested in working as a travel agent because travel is my passion, my biggest interest.

Also, I'm not very familiar with how travel agencies are run. I'd love to go ahead and find a job in an agency - obviously not as a travel agent right away, but doing anything, helping where needed - but I'm not sure if there are even other sorts of jobs, such as assistants or secretaries or whatnot. Are there? And do you think, as a recent college grad with travel experience and bachelors degrees in magazine journalism and French, but no real work experience (though I had a high GPA, extracurriculars, and some volunteer and one-time paying gigs), I could even find a job in a travel agency? Please help me figure out where to start!

I apologize for posting these questions here, as they aren't specifically cruise-related questions, but I figured there would be a few TAs lurking on these boards :)

I'm considering going back to school to get a certificate in travel agency operations and was wondering what kind of perks agents get these days, both with cruises and other travel. I know about fam trips, but what about travel in general, with regular passengers and tourists? That's not to say though, that I'm only in it for the discounts and such; I'm interested in working as a travel agent because travel is my passion, my biggest interest.

Also, I'm not very familiar with how travel agencies are run. I'd love to go ahead and find a job in an agency - obviously not as a travel agent right away, but doing anything, helping where needed - but I'm not sure if there are even other sorts of jobs, such as assistants or secretaries or whatnot. Are there? And do you think, as a recent college grad with travel experience and bachelors degrees in magazine journalism and French, but no real work experience (though I had a high GPA, extracurriculars, and some volunteer and one-time paying gigs), I could even find a job in a travel agency? Please help me figure out where to start!

I apologize for posting these questions here, as they aren't specifically cruise-related questions, but I figured there would be a few TAs lurking on these boards :)

Although I would love to help you, after replying to another message asking how to go about becoming a TA, I was told that the subject is off limits on CC.

I took a certificate course which was about 10 weeks long in Maryland. My first job was at a large nationwide agency that did mostly government and corporate travel, they do have leisure offices but it's a small percentage of business. Did government travel for 6 1/2 years in DC before giving up the commute and becoming a leisure agent for a small company. If you live near a larger city there are opportunites to start at the bottom, the first couple weeks, as I was learning the res system, I put airline tickets together. Good luck to you.

Michael

With a degree, a love for travel and the ability to write and speak French, you should consider a job on board ship.

It is tough to make a decent living as a TA. Commissions are constantly being cut, internet marketing makes it tough to compete and IMO one must have a niche to thrive in this business.

Perks are quite limited as well and I cannot remember the last time I took a "fam" trip. Cruises are last minute and not on ships or itineraries that I would bother with generally and last minute deals to the public are often priced lower.

Cruising like a 'regular guest" is rare and few between....usually the space for an agent rate can only be confirmed 30 days out --- which means very high airfare costs. It's a "no win" situation.

But -- once in awhile something good comes along (like my fam cruise to the Baltic Sea) and it makes it all worth while!

Perks are few and far between, and they shouldn't be the focus of your desire. It is a job you really have to love to do it well and stick with it. Losing the passion was the reason we got out of the biz after 10 years.

Think about a try before you buy. Offer to intern at an agency to see what day to day life.

Be cautious with travel schools. For most agencies travel experience and passion will trump a quickie certification. Also, schools will tell how wonderful and plentiful the jobs will be. Check to want ads in your area to see how may openings their are and what the begining pay ranges are.

I also don't want to discourage you because I enjoy my job so much!

But the reality is that it's hard to make a living in this field. Most of us work in travel because we love it, certainly not for the money. FAM trips are few and far between - when they are available, you do have to pay something and be ready to travel (and have someone cover for you) at the last minute. I usually book my trips just like everyone else (I've done four cruises so far this year, but only one was booked as a travel agent).

As others have already mentioned, be very wary of travel schools.

Taffy12~ I have to thank you for starting this thread as I too was looking at going back to school to be a travel agent. I have always been intersted in the travel industry but will take a second look now. People noting to be careful of travel schools somewhat scares me because I was considering it highly.

I do not look to have a job to "survive" in as my husband is the "bread winner" so it would be part time, and so the pay scale is not extremely important to me... within reason of course.:)

Takeavacation~ Don't you get discounts on your airline tickets?

Caviargal~ What do you mean ships and intineraries you wouldn't bother with?

Thanks! This is a very interesting thread. I just wish replies to your thread were more positive for both our sakes.

Takeavacation~ Don't you get discounts on your airline tickets?

Thanks! This is a very interesting thread. I just wish replies to your thread were more positive for both our sakes.

I do not get ANY discounts on air travel -- my agency does not sell airline tickets. When traveling as a "regular person" -- the best I've done is pay "net" which means I keep 100% of my commission. I've yet to book anything at an agent rate because you have to confirm last minute (like 30 days out and I don't have that much flexibility).

As for discouraging -- I'm not trying to! I love my job! I have been fortunate enough to see several places I probably wouldn't have gotten to -- even though I spent my time there looking at hotels and rooming with strangers and missing my family --- it was still fun!

But....those who think about doing this line of work for the travel benefits need to think twice. And - it's not all easy.....problems pop up out of the blue and no matter what ---- everyone always thinks it is the travel agents mistakes or problems. My latest example is my client upset that the cabin next door had loud children and what could I do about it.....like I said --- not always easy!:rolleyes:

Thank you so much everyone who has offered their insight into the industry! I'm not discouraged, as I'm not just interested in being a travel agent for the perks. I went to journalism school to be a travel writer before realizing that I was more interested in the travel aspect of that than the writing (though, don't get me wrong, I still love to write). And though ultimately I'd like to travel as much as possible, just the thought of being around travel and dealing with it on a daily basis - even when it's someone else taking the trip of their lifetime - thrills me, especially international travel. I've always been fascinated by other countries and cultures and travel in general, and making that my life in any way, shape, or form is fine by me.

You said to be weary of "travel schools." Does that mean there are schools out there specifically targeting future travel agents, much as you'd find a cosmetology school or culinary institute? What I was planning on doing was going to a technical school that offers certificates, diplomas, and associates degrees in Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management. It seems like a reputable enough program... What are your thoughts? I was only going to do the certificate program, which involves something like 7 or 8 separate classes over probably two or three quarters, because I do already have two degrees and am not interested in the management side of things. As for passion, I definitely have it, and I know this isn't much experience compared to some of you, but I do have six cruises and another weeklong trip to London under my belt... I'll certainly try to find an internship, as somebody recommended (that's a great suggestion - thanks)...is there anything else you'd recommend?

There are indeed schools that have travel agent specific certificates/diplomas much like cosmetology schools. Beside tech schools, some community colleges offer degrees or certificates in hospitality/travel. However, since 2001 most have focused more on the hospitality (hotel and restaurant) side of things to the detriment of travel related classes. Before enrolling ask to see the syllabus for each class, not just the course description from the catalog. This will give you a better idea of exactly what is covered.

Visit some of the agencies in your area to see if they have worked with anybody coming out of the travel program you are considering. They may be able to provide insight into the program.

Like me, the other posters don’t mean to be discouraging, it just that we want you to have a realistic idea of what to expect. While we sold the business last year, I wouldn’t trade the previous ten years for anything, well almost anything. We met so many great people, both clients and industry people. We’re still the same office, and sales reps still stop by just to chat. We had the chance to speak at two national conferences. We made connections that moved us to the careers we have now and on and on. The only down side is the @#%& cruise addiction I now have.

Regarding the question of airline discounts. Some carriers offer what is known as AD75 rates. This is 75% off of full fare. Sounds good until you realize that the standard lowest available fares are cheaper than 75% off of the full fare.

Duh, almost forgot. Having passion for travel is important, but having a passion for dealing with people and a willingness to deal with corporate bureaucracies are equally important. You need to be mentally well equipped to deal with the myriad of problems both real and imagined that pop up.

I would recommend working at a B&M agency , or if you are in a city with a large cruise only outlet that would be ideal. It will take years for you to become totally knowledgeable of all the cruiselines, and vacations that are available to the public. Airline tickets are not profitable at all. I would stay away from them. As far as discounts...there aren't many out there. I have been an agent for about 13 years and still learn something new every day. If you are interested in a specific area, then I would specialize in that and become an expert. I don't think any of us are trying to "discourage" new agents, but we know how much work it takes to become a "good agent" and as others have said..it is not a high paying field . If you read these boards as I do, you will see many complaints about agents...most likely these are agents with little or no training who get into the industry for the "perks"..not only do they hurt the good TA's out there, but they are hurting their clients. Some people think we have a simple job...the way I look at it is that most people take only 1 vacation a year (some, not even that)...they save their money and are so excited to be able to "get away". It is up to me to be sure they are able to take their vacation with as little stress as possible. If something goes wrong, it is up to me to take care of it as quickly as possible. The best day is when a former clients calls and rebooks a vacation with me. I know I did my job well.

I would recommend working at a B&M agency , or if you are in a city with a large cruise only outlet that would be ideal. It will take years for you to become totally knowledgeable of all the cruiselines, and vacations that are available to the public. Airline tickets are not profitable at all. I would stay away from them. As far as discounts...there aren't many out there. I have been an agent for about 13 years and still learn something new every day. If you are interested in a specific area, then I would specialize in that and become an expert. I don't think any of us are trying to "discourage" new agents, but we know how much work it takes to become a "good agent" and as others have said..it is not a high paying field . If you read these boards as I do, you will see many complaints about agents...most likely these are agents with little or no training who get into the industry for the "perks"..not only do they hurt the good TA's out there, but they are hurting their clients. Some people think we have a simple job...the way I look at it is that most people take only 1 vacation a year (some, not even that)...they save their money and are so excited to be able to "get away". It is up to me to be sure they are able to take their vacation with as little stress as possible. If something goes wrong, it is up to me to take care of it as quickly as possible. The best day is when a former clients calls and rebooks a vacation with me. I know I did my job well.

There is a cruise selling agency here where I live that I was thinking about contacting. I love cruising (as we all do on these boards) and I think it would be great to be able to sell cruises, I even just love learning about all the cruise lines and so on... I would like to work there. I know many years ago agencies used to do on-the-job training, do you know if they do that anymore? I have worked in a credit union for 12 years so I deal with all sorts of people all the time. You deal with people and a few thousand of there dollars, imagine dealing with people when you are dealing with all their money.:eek: Even though the perks (if any, as you all are saying) are good that is not why I would do this.

Any more insight would be wonderful, Thank you!

There is a cruise selling agency here where I live that I was thinking about contacting. I love cruising (as we all do on these boards) and I think it would be great to be able to sell cruises, I even just love learning about all the cruise lines and so on... I would like to work there. I know many years ago agencies used to do on-the-job training, do you know if they do that anymore? I have worked in a credit union for 12 years so I deal with all sorts of people all the time. You deal with people and a few thousand of there dollars, imagine dealing with people when you are dealing with all their money.:eek: Even though the perks (if any, as you all are saying) are good that is not why I would do this.

Any more insight would be wonderful, Thank you!

I would definatly contact them. Since you have the customer service background that is a plus. Many cruise only agencies will have in house training. It would be a great place to start!

I would definatly contact them. Since you have the customer service background that is a plus. Many cruise only agencies will have in house training. It would be a great place to start!

Well thank you everybody, it's been nice to get some "inside" information. I was going to start a thread like this a while back but didn't know if I should or if it would get zapped:eek: But thanks again, very helpful info:)

Taffy -- I went to our local community college for various reasons and wandering into a travel orientation class. It was the 1st time I'd heard of the classes offered and I totally became obsessed with taking all of the classes offered (and earning all the certificates). I too love to travel -- and I love helping others find the right vacation for them. If you want - email me at my screen name plus comcast dot com and I'll give you the information on the school I went to. Most of their classes are now offered online --and the staff is exceptional!

Taffy, have you considered contacting cruise lines and apply for their p.r. or publication dept. jobs? You mentioned you didn't want to do just writing, but this may be an opportunity for you to travel along with getting the journalism experiences. My husband graduated with journalism and english degrees and started teaching , then opening a successful P.r. firm. So things can evolve for you.

Seems to me that you could be valuable at corporate headquarters and that French degree might be helpful at some cruiselines out of Europe. There are so many river cruises there as well as European large ship cruise lines. Just a thought.

You gotta do what makes you happy. But it may take some trial positions to get you there. Good luck :)

Archived