Positano...top or bottom?

We are going to hire a driver while in Naples. Plan on visiting Positano.

Can anyone tell me, when you arrived in Positano with a driver, were you dropped off at the top in town, or at the bottom near the beach? I'm hoping we can see both, but, I know for sure I wouldn't be able to take that hike up the stairs to the top.

Would love to hear from those of you who have visited Positano.

We just returned from our tour with Francesco Marrappese. Autos are only allowed so far in Positano. We walked down paths and stairs to the beach. Thus we had to walk back up also. Fortunately, it wasn't too warm but the walk was strenuous. I did it and have a bad back. Bring water, too. Our tour and day along the Amalfi Coast was unforgettable. Check out his web page for tour map, pictures and comments.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

We just returned from our tour with Francesco Marrappese. Autos are only allowed so far in Positano. We walked down paths and stairs to the beach. Thus we had to walk back up also. Fortunately, it wasn't too warm but the walk was strenuous. I did it and have a bad back. Bring water, too. Our tour and day along the Amalfi Coast was unforgettable. Check out his web page for tour map, pictures and comments.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

i used them last year, they were great! here's a link to their webpage:

http://www.francescomarrapese.com/mycar.htm

If you have a car/driver, you should be able to be dropped off where ever you please,,,given the price of a car/driver (smile). Positano has one road that snakes down through the village (its one way) and its not a problem for any car (have driven it myself several times). The problem is that your driver will have a very difficult problem finding a place to wait, but that's his/her problem. When I drive into Positano I will sometimes park at the top along the road and walk down, and other times I will simply drive down into the town and pay the big bucks to park in one of the garages.

Hank

If you have a car/driver, you should be able to be dropped off where ever you please,,,given the price of a car/driver (smile). Positano has one road that snakes down through the village (its one way) and its not a problem for any car (have driven it myself several times). The problem is that your driver will have a very difficult problem finding a place to wait, but that's his/her problem. When I drive into Positano I will sometimes park at the top along the road and walk down, and other times I will simply drive down into the town and pay the big bucks to park in one of the garages.

Hank

What I'm hoping to plan is for our driver to drop us off at the top area, wait for us, then we can ride down to see the bottom area. I don't think all in my group would be able to do the steps. If you are saying there's parking available, this would be doable. Thanks for your info. I noticed some other posts you have made regarding Positano. Any suggestions as far as what we should do? Prefer getting a local feel of the town vs. visiting museums etc. Any good places for a espresso & people watching?

A third recommendation for Francesco!

Also here is a beautiful webcam I found of Positano. It's fun to watch during the daytime there, you can see all sorts of boats and activity going on. And If you catch it at twilight (around 3-4pm EST) it is breathtaking!

http://www.campaniameteo.it/salernometeo/webcampositano.htm

thanks so much for this link...it's now saved in my favorites!

There is a bus that circumnavigates Positano about every 30min. The bus was 1 euro in October . I don't see why with a driver you could not do what you want. There is only one road and it is one-way.

Enjoy !

Eaglewar took the words out of my mouth (or keyboard). This talk of "top" and "bottom" is really not a good way to think of Positano. What you have a town that is built on the side of a steep hill (or cliff) where the main road (Amalfi Drive) is at the top point. Many locals (and tourists) actually will park along the Amalfi Drive (there can sometimes be 2 miles of parked cars here) and walk down into town...or as Eaglewar said, they can also use the local shuttle bus that constantly runs the circle route that takes you down the road into town, back up the other side (its one-way) than along the Amalfi Drive between the exit and entrance to this road (less than a half mile). Since the town encompasses the entire area from the Amalfi Drive all the way down the hill to the water, it is really a continuum rather than a "top and bottom. Its possible to walk from the Amalfi Drive all the way down to the bottom (beach) along the road, or by picking your way along back steps, residential areas, etc. A majority of the shops (many are pricy and too darn touristy) cafes and restaurants are clustered close to the bottom, but there are some shops and cafes along the road well above the bottom point. If you enjoy walking it can be fun to simply walk the entire way down (we have walked up and down quite a few times) and enjoy the architecture of the homes, hotels, etc. As to parking, besides the free parking along the Amalfi Drive (at the top) there is some on the street parking in Positano (you must be very lucky to get any of these spots) and a few private parking lots/garages that overcharge to house your car. We have driven in this area many times, and have found that parking is always a hassle (but it is doable) while the driving is no biggie as long as one is patient.

Hank

Archived