Soda Card?

oraf7

Personally, I think that the taste coke and diet coke varies in different parts of the U.S. I rarely drink soft drinks anymore but I love club soda and buy a soda card for that. It seems really silly since it's nothing more than water with bubbles added but since I like it and enjoy drinking it all day long, it's worth the price of the card.

I know the question has been answered many times but since it was asked again here, I'll answer that no, soda cards are not to be shared. People have done it but they're not supposed to.

In some countries, instead of calling it Diet, they call it Light. It is the same thing.

Diet Coke (sometimes known as Diet Coca-Cola) or Coca-Cola Light (sometimes known as Coke Light) is a sugar-free soft drink produced and distributed by The Coca-Cola Company. It was introduced in the United States in July 1982 as Diet Coca-Cola, and was the first new brand since 1886 to use the Coca-Cola trademark. The product quickly overtook Tab in sales.

I am embaressed to report that a search on Coca Cola web sites confirms that what they market as Diet Coke in the USA is marketed as Coke Light in Europe and elsewhere. My daughter swears that the Coke Light served on the Royal P tasted different from the Diet Coke to which she is addicted. I wonder if there is some subtle difference in the formulation. I recall that in the days of soda fountains, foutain coke was definately different ( and 'better') from bottle coke (no such thing as cans back then).

After posting this, I realized that several of you had suggested the same explanation. Thanks

You can use it in the dining room, you can't (SHOULDN'T) share...it's stealing. It is the best deal on a cruise ship if you're not a big alcohol drinker. I drink club soda all day long...no need to carry an unfinished or warm cup from place to place. With the soda card, I just get a new one. I also like being able to order something in the bars and lounges when listening to evening entertainment. We don't tip extra for our beverages, but when one bartender learns our tastes and has our beverages ready for us as we walk up, he/she warrants an extra $10 sometime during the cruise.

You can use it in the dining room, you can't (SHOULDN'T) share...it's stealing. It is the best deal on a cruise ship if you're not a big alcohol drinker. I drink club soda all day long...no need to carry an unfinished or warm cup from place to place. With the soda card, I just get a new one. I also like being able to order something in the bars and lounges when listening to evening entertainment. We don't tip extra for our beverages, but when one bartender learns our tastes and has our beverages ready for us as we walk up, he/she warrants an extra $10 sometime during the cruise.

I am glad you mentioned club soda. I was just about to ask if that was available on the card. I am not much of a soda drinker (trying to avoid caffeine, sugar, and artificial sweeteners), however, I do love club soda with a twist of lime.

You don't have to carry the mug around with you, but there's no "disposable" cup. The bartenders will give you a "plastic" glass of soda. TIP: Ask for a larger glass. Some bartenders will give you a little larger glass if you ask for it. Some will say they don't have a larger glass.

While in Singapore earlier this year, I found out about the Coke Light version of Diet Coke. Tasted pretty much the same to me.

You don't have to carry the mug around with you, but there's no "disposable" cup. The bartenders will give you a "plastic" glass of soda. TIP: Ask for a larger glass. Some bartenders will give you a little larger glass if you ask for it. Some will say they don't have a larger glass.

Thanks for letting me know! On our honeymoon cruise on Disney, having the mug was the sign that we had purchased the soda plan - no sticker on our card. (Unless we just didn't know what we were doing!) It made it a little inconvenient, so I'm glad that Princess has a different plan. :)

The soda card is for "soda", it does not include a "Shirley Temple!"

yes it does. my kids get shirley temples and roy rogers almost exclusively with their soda cards. never have any problem. its just either coke or ginger ale and grenadine.

My daughter swears that the Coke Light served on the Royal P tasted different from the Diet Coke to which she is addicted. I wonder if there is some subtle difference in the formulation. I recall that in the days of soda fountains, foutain coke was definately different ( and 'better') from bottle coke (no such thing as cans back then).

As an employee of CCE (Coca Cola Enterprises), you will find that the brix (syrup to CO2 ratio) is going to be vastly different in "Fountain" drinks. Adjustments can be made to the units to where you will receive more or less syrup to CO2. Less syrup = more drinks made from (1) 5 gallon BIB (Bag in Box) = more profit to company.

HFCS (High Frutcose Corn Syrup) is now used as a sweetner in Coke Classic as it was cheaper to produce originally. Pure cane sugar had been used previously. The price of HFCS, aluminum, and plastic have risen dramatically over the last couple of years.

We don't tip extra for our beverages, but when one bartender learns our tastes and has our beverages ready for us as we walk up, he/she warrants an extra $10 sometime during the cruise.

"NOT tipping extra"... That brings up an interesting point...

When you purchase the soda card, you are charged the 15% tip on the card price...

but why oh why do some of the servers give you that "where's my tip" look when you get your soda using the Soda Card??? I get the same look when I use my Coffee Card...

It's very rude, and doesn't make me want to give them an extra tip!!

I am embaressed to report that a search on Coca Cola web sites confirms that what they market as Diet Coke in the USA is marketed as Coke Light in Europe and elsewhere. My daughter swears that the Coke Light served on the Royal P tasted different from the Diet Coke to which she is addicted. I wonder if there is some subtle difference in the formulation. I recall that in the days of soda fountains, foutain coke was definately different ( and 'better') from bottle coke (no such thing as cans back then).

After posting this, I realized that several of you had suggested the same explanation. Thanks

I do know regular Coke taste different because in certain countries, they use real sugar rather than the corn syrup the US uses.

One more question about the mug that comes with the soda card - is it insulated, and will it work for hot beverages as well? TIA! :)

I wasn't sure since I hadn't tried it before, so did a little test. I poured hot water in my coke mug (it holds at most 12 ounces). It seems to be staying warm in there, but the outside of the mug is warm, too. Don't know if that's a problem since I don't drink coffee, nor do I carry coffee or tea around in an insulated mug. I thought perhaps the outside should remain cool, but nevertheless it wasn't HOT, so you could carry it around with you while it was warm, if you like. Twelve ounces isn't a lot of fluid; that's why I don't usually use the insulated mug for my diet Coke. I drink that up too fast.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure a purist could define the differences between selzer and club soda but I think they're basically the same thing. The soda card applies to anything that is dispensed from the bar soda gun - coke, diet coke, sprite, gingerale and club soda. I don't know if diet sprite is an option or anything else. At the table that sells the stickers on the first day or at any of the bars you can ask specifically.

You can use the soda card in any bar or in the dining room. On the first night I tell my waiter that I would always like to have a club soda with dinner and it's delivered every night without asking. Even if I have another drink, I will often order a club soda to go with it. In the martini bar on the Caribbean Princess, one of the waiters always brought me a club soda as soon as I walked in - he got a nice tip at the end of the cruise.

I wasn't sure since I hadn't tried it before, so did a little test. I poured hot water in my coke mug (it holds at most 12 ounces). It seems to be staying warm in there, but the outside of the mug is warm, too. Don't know if that's a problem since I don't drink coffee, nor do I carry coffee or tea around in an insulated mug. I thought perhaps the outside should remain cool, but nevertheless it wasn't HOT, so you could carry it around with you while it was warm, if you like. Twelve ounces isn't a lot of fluid; that's why I don't usually use the insulated mug for my diet Coke. I drink that up too fast.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for testing it for me! I was wondering since a lot of people recommend bringing an insulated mug to Alaska, and I thought that maybe if I bought the soda card, I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone (and save some suitcase space). It sounds like I'll have to pack one after all, but better to know and not be disappointed later. Thanks again for checking - that was very nice of you! :)

I'm sure a purist could define the differences between selzer and club soda but I think they're basically the same thing.

They ARE VERY different. Selzter is simply bubbly water, sometimes with flavoring. Club Soda has sodium.

I am planning on buying a soda card Think I'll bring a sports bottle (the kind everyone was using ten years ago before it became fashionable to drink water from the "designer" water bottle) and have it filled with seltzer - with a twist, thank you! - or Diet Coke.

We bought soda card in our last cruise. Would not do it again. Not because of money. We found our coke really watered down and did not taste half as good as ordering the drink as needed, which came in a can. At the end of the cruise, we found out we actually paid more with a soda card.:mad:

I'm sure a purist could define the differences between selzer and club soda but I think they're basically the same thing. The soda card applies to anything that is dispensed from the bar soda gun - coke, diet coke, sprite, gingerale and club soda. I don't know if diet sprite is an option or anything else. At the table that sells the stickers on the first day or at any of the bars you can ask specifically.

Ginger ale seems to not always be available from the bar. This past Feb when we were on the Grand my wife was told they didn't have it there, and it was only available in the dining room. She was indeed able to get it in the dining room with the soda card.

Our first cruise hubby and I each bought a soda card and mug, kind of a waste for us in that hubby hardly ever drinks Coke product. I'll drink them if that is all they have, but not a fan.

The other cruises we brought our Diet Pepsi products on board and bought 1 soda card sticker, no mug. This worked out much better for us.

Seems the price of soda cards has increased again.

Archived