Calling the US from Europe

cb747

Hi,

I'm taking the Grand Princess, 8/9/07 cruise of the British Isles/Western Europe and am wondering if anyone has any information on the easiest/least expensive way to call from the various ports. I use Verizon as my cell phone and their prices are quite high. Any info would be appreciated. Chantal

I buy a phone card from a newsstand, tobacco shop or convenience store. I tell the clerk (in writing when I don't speak the language*) that I am calling the USA from different countries. The clerks rummage through a selection of cards. I have always received a card that works for $5 to $10. You want a card with toll free numbers and a scratch off pin number.

*Keep your note simple:

Telephone card

Italia -> USA

Espana -> USA

The cheapest would be to use a service like Skype from your computer, assuming you have one. I think calls to US land lines are 1.5 cents / minute and mobile may be a touch more. Computer to computer is free - given that both sides are using Skype.

CB747:

Verizon phones are not GSM. So need to buy a GSM unlocked phone and a sim. Did you see my first post about Telestial. they have the cheapest phone and it includes a basic sim. They are located in San Diego.

Last year took a Med. cruise out of Barcelona with a short vacation in London--used Vodafone - got a good deal especially if you have AMEX platinum card - phone is sent directly to your home before you leave so you can get familiar with the service - the cost was $2.99 per day and this included free minutes - and like the others there is a list of where you get free calls. Any help you need while traveling - there are English -speaking customer reps. Quality of reception was great - we are travelling again this September and plan to use again.

I just purchased a sim card from "Geosim" located in the U.K. I liked this deal because the minutes purchased do not expire as long as you maintain an account with them, cost 20 GBP yearly. They roll unused minutes over.

Most of the other companies minutes expire unless you add more minutes at high recharge rates.

see http://www.globalsimcard.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding calling from Europe when traveling. Costco sells an international calling card that works great. You can call home from most countries for a few cents a minute. The card costs $30 and the time does not expire. If time remains on the card after your trip, you can use the remaining time here in the US calling anywhere in the world. We just keep the card for the next trip and use it again. Note: it helps to call the customer service number on the back of the card before leaving home and get the country codes for all the countries you will be in. They can also give you info about using the card abroad which will facilitate your calling when you are on your trip. These cards are good at almost all pay phones.

So need to buy a GSM unlocked phone and a sim

A reminder that this should be a European dual-band phone at an absolute minimum (which you won't be able to use in North America), an international tri-band phone, or an international quad-band phone (which would be best).

We purchased two Mobal phones. They are great!! We needed two because in the UK we were going to be in separate places for a day or so (DH at a car show; me at Warwick Castle).

The purchase is a one time cost ($49 per phone), and then they only charge you when you make calls, with the cost billed to your credit card.

I don't like calling cards because you have to find a phone to use.

If this is something you are interested in, email me at pcurri at yahoo dot com. If you use me as a referral, then you get a $25 credit, and I get a lifetime 10% discount!!! Win-win.

Check it all out at mobal.com, and see if this is good for your needs. I know we really like the phones. I was able to leave voicemails for my sons, call family, and loved it.

Archived