PG 6/25/2008 Tahiti

Except - I always get a table for 2 or 4 depending on if I am travelling with my kids - on the Azamara cruise there was no "connecting' with a waiter - most just went through the motions and did not give a s... Some were great, yes but.....

Plus - I would rather eat early if we have to be on board the ship by 5 and then have time the rest of the night to gamble, be entertained and possibly eat some more !!

Larry

We've done dining both ways, and we much prefer open seating. We usually ask for a table for 6 or 8, which allows us to meet other passengers. And we can eat when we're ready, generally around 7:00. When we've had traditional dining we'd have to go at 6:00, which is too early, or at 8:15 or 8:30, way too late for us. (NOTE: Larry, I've followed the discussion on the Azamara board and I am aware that we'll need to beat the 7:00 pm rush if we don't want to wait.) Our experiences with 'bonding' with the waitstaff have never made enough of a difference to matter, and we've only been on one fixed-seating cruise (out of 8) where we wanted to spend time with our dinner companions outside of dinner. I'm not counting the cruise we took with relatives in that total. :-) By contrast, we're coming up on our 5th open seating cruise, and won't consider a line with 'traditional' dining any more.

Karen

I'm with you, Karen! We also ask for to share a table with others most nights--I find a table for 6 is the best, since that way everybody tends to talk to everybody else. A table for 4 can get dicey at times, and a table for 8, unless you're all friends already, tends to turn into two tables for 4!

Archived