Victoria questions

While doing some searches online I cam upon a company offering tours of both Vancouver and Victoria. Big Bus hop-on, hop-off tours, it looks like a pretty easy way to get an overview of your fine city. What can you tell me about them and are they worth it?

Thanks,

While they've been in Vancouver for awhile, they just started up recently in Victoria. I've seen the bus around town and personally, I think it's a great idea. Time will only tell if it succeeds or not.

I think it would all depend on how much your teens appreciate flowers. The Gardens are really pretty, but I think it might be easier to just stay around the Inner Harbour and visit the Museum and get a feel for Victoria. Take them through the Empress Hotel, too. Also, the Gardens open at 9 am during August, so allowing for a couple of hours there, you wouldn't have very much time left for exploring Victoria before having to be back on board.

Thanks Lucysll. I think we will enjoy your fine city and leave the gardens for another time. Luckily I've seen them a couple of times myself! My husband will be looking for a pub. Any suggestions of a good pub in walking distance?

Here are some pubs:

The Stickey Wicket - http://www.strathconahotel.com/the_sticky_wicket_pub___restau.html

The JBI (James Bay Inn) - http://www.jamesbayinn.com/fb.html

Garrick's Head Pub - http://www.bedfordregency.com/pub.htm

Swans - http://www.swanshotel.com/pub.php

Darcy's - http://www.darcyspub.ca/pages/main.html

I'm going to drive by and double check on Darcy's, to be sure it's still there (it's been awhile since I've really paid attention to the pubs in the area). The first 4 I know are okay. Also, the JBI has a very nice restaurant as well as the Pub and the Eggs Benedict are delicious!

Luckysll

Do you know if my teens can go to any of these pubs? Maybe the roof top patio at Stickey Wicket? We're looking for some atmosphere, local beer and Canadian/English charm! Thanks!

Here's what the BC Liquor Control Branch has to say (from their website):

Minors

Minors are allowed in food-primary establishments (restaurants licensed to serve liquor), but may not be served any alcoholic beverages.

Minors are generally not allowed in liquor-primary establishments (bars, pubs, nightclubs, etc), unless they are working as entertainers or the establishment's primary function is not to serve liquor (it is a licensed stadium, concert hall, train or airplane, for example).

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the cruise ship dock, to the inner harbor?

Any comments on the Undersea Gardens, Miniature Museum, Victoria Bug Zoo or Bastion Square?? If you could only choose one, which would it be and why?

Thanks--

Yes there is a shuttle from the dock to the Inner Harbour. I would not choose any of those options, as far as I'm concerned they are just tourist traps with no redeeming quality. The Museum is well worth a visit, however it might be open if you're there in the evening.

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the cruise ship dock, to the inner harbor?

Any comments on the Undersea Gardens, Miniature Museum, Victoria Bug Zoo or Bastion Square?? If you could only choose one, which would it be and why?

Thanks--

If you are traveling with children, then they might enjoy the Bug Zoo or Miniature World. The Maritime Museum is located in Bastion Square and might be interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

Cruiseryyc - When you wrote this "The Museum is well worth a visit, however it might be open if you're there in the evening."....which museum were you refering to?

Our ship is in port from noon to 7pm.

Luckysll - Thanks for your comments. Is the Maritime Museum the only museum in Bastion Square? Is there anything else interesting to see in Bastion Square?

Would Craigdarroch Castle and the overlook at Mt Tolmie be better choices? Our ship has a Victoria Highlights tour that goes those two places.

Sorry you're right I should have been clearer. The museum I'm referring to is the Provincial Museum located across the street from the Empress Hotel. (http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca) It is well worth a visit and since you're in town during the day, it will be open. Bastion Square is basically a shopping mall. The Victoria Highlights tour would be worthwhile. I take it you have no interest in seeing Butchart Gardens - it is also worth a visit, but would take up most of your time in port.

This gives you a look at Bastion Square:

http://www.mycityshowcase.com/bastiosq.html

And here's a link to Craigdarroch Castle:

http://www.craigdarrochcastle.com/

The view from Mt. Tolmie is one of my favorites (my step sister's house is one of the ones at the base of Mt. Tolmie).

As cruiseryyc said, if you've no interest in Butchart Gardens, then the City tour would be good, and if you have time after the tour, be sure to see the Royal BC Museum. There's also an IMAX theatre at the museum. If you've never experienced an IMAX movie, it's something to see. The movies are about 45 minutes long.

Boy did I get a shock:eek: Here I thought you were going to tell me about the ghost tour (Our ship offers a ghost tour that goes through Bastion Square). So that article was quite the surprise. Very interesting though...I would never have guessed!

cruiseryyc - Thanks for the clarification on the museum (Royal Museum). Our tour gets back at 4:00 so me maybe we will have time to take a look inside the museum.

Thanks (both of you) for the links and for helping us decide on the castle and Mt Tomlie tour. Maybe next time, we'll take in the gardens. :)

The "big bus" is back operating, but they did loose their licence for shady operating practices, so I would give them a miss. Very expensive too, $30 per person(good for 2 days), while the other operators are about $15. Blue Line has open topped doube deckers that do a "hop on hop off" service over the whole area, Gray Line has 1.5 hour tours that also cover the whole city. They all leave from the front of the Empress Hotel. There is a shuttle from the ship into town for every ship arrival, and they too go to the Empress Hotel and inner harbour.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Victoria in mid September. Our ship is in port from 7 PM until midnight. I read that sunset will be at 7:30. With that in mind, what would you recommend? Our original thought was to take the Butchart Gardens tour. Will it be too dark for that? Would we be better doing a city tour - double decker or the longer one that goes to Mt. Tolmie? Thanks for the advice in advance!

Butchart Gardens is very well lit at night. Even though it's dark, there is still lots to see.

The view from the top of Mt. Tolmie at night will be very pretty, with all the city lights spread out below you. I would think either tour would be suitable.

Archived