*AFTER HOURS* Drop off at Avis Downtown Miami???

GuitarPlayer

Might be a stupid question, but...anyone know if you can drop off a rental car after Avis is closed at the Miami downtown location? I'm not a big car rental expert, so just wondering if they are set up to accept cars after hours or not. We wanted to have a car for the day pre-cruise, but didn't want to have to turn it in by 6pm. I guess we might just have to do that anyways, unless someone has experience with after-hours turn-in.

Also, I guess there is the question of getting from Avis to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami after that, hmmmm....

GP

I dont know if you are set on Avis, but we experienced this same problem last year, we wanted a one way rental because it was cheaper than a cab and we could pick up some supplies and grab dinner. Our flight did not get in til 9:30 pm (in FLL) and we didnt want to pay to park the car overnight. We went with Hertz and they have a drop off at the downtown Marriott, which happened to be next door to our hotel, the Doubletree. My DH dropped us at the curb and returned the car and was back while we were still checking in. I believe they had 24 hour dropoff, it was past 11:00 when we turned in the car.

I dont know if you are set on Avis, but we experienced this same problem last year, we wanted a one way rental because it was cheaper than a cab and we could pick up some supplies and grab dinner. Our flight did not get in til 9:30 pm (in FLL) and we didnt want to pay to park the car overnight. We went with Hertz and they have a drop off at the downtown Marriott, which happened to be next door to our hotel, the Doubletree. My DH dropped us at the curb and returned the car and was back while we were still checking in. I believe they had 24 hour dropoff, it was past 11:00 when we turned in the car.

Thanks for the info...I'll keep that in mind.

GP

Pretty bad neighborshood to be driving around in after dark, be carefull. I dont have any answer, but I doubt you would be allowed to leave a car somewhere and just leave if its not a guarded area.

There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood at night - I drive through there by myself very frequently since I live right in Brickell to get on to I95. Its just very lonely. The neighborhood is completely fine.

In answer to your first question, no Avis will not allow after hours drop off.

However my sister and I flew into Ft Lauderdale in May, rented an Avis car and dropped it off in downtown Miami right before they closed. There is a "metromover" public transportation monorail (free!) that has a station about 1 block from Avis, (the knight center station) we hopped on and went to bayside. which is only a few blocks from your hotel. There are lots of food choices there, entertainment and booths with all kinds of things for sale. If you are up to a little walking and adventure, go for it!We walked all over downtown and did not have anyone bother or approach us. You might also want to put in Avis address and your hotel on mapquest. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

This is a link to the metromover info...

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/moverstations.asp

Archived