ms bolero nov 26 christmas markets

kathy5150

Any info would be greatly appreciated on the river cruise. In particular I am interested in the transfer from the airport (Munich) to the port. I have been told it is 2 hours by boat (I don't know if this is accurate information)which puts us at the dock after 8 pm.....

We did a Regensburg to Budapest cruise this last May. You will not be transfering from Munich Airport to Regensburg on a boat. Transfer will be by bus. We did our own transfer from central Munich on the train and the trip was about 1 hr.40 mins. Ask your travel agent or Gate 1 travel, how long it will take.

kathy5150,

A transfer by boat from Munich to Regensburg would be a nice idea but it would take you definitely more than 2 hours :D !! You might go to Freising and board a raft there on the Isar river (which is not navigable for any passenger vessels except for rafts) and drift down til the Isar river is joining the Danube river.... just kidding!

If you´re picked up at the airport by bus it´ll take you about 1:30 h from Munich airport to Regensburg. It´s a bit more complicated by train. You have to take the suburban train to Munich central station (about 45 min) and then change to the train to Regensburg (about 1:40 h). You can also take the bus to Freising (about 15 min) and catch the train to Regensburg there. The other option is to hire a private driver.

BTW all direct transatlantic flights from the US arrive in Munich between 8 am and 1 pm.

steamboats

This will be long ......

Hi! I am in the process of choosing and booking a Christmas Cruise and have pretty much decided on the Gate1 Bolero. departing Dec. 12 from Budapest to Prague. Myself, DH and grown daughter are going. This will be our first river cruise and first time to that part of the world. I've been aprehensive I am making right choice, however, this cruise seems to go to the places I want to see. Not sure on what level to pick for cabin, DH says he doesn't want to be duck level - LOL, so we hope to get upgrade to B. I have been wondering about the flight over and back, should I try for upgrade from economy - I hate to think of sitting that long but also hate to shell out more $$$. Curious if people have favorite eating places they've been to in Budapets and Prague? I am somewhat disappointed the hotel will be Prague Hilton as it sounds like the location is further from center of town. Sorry for the length of this. I haven't been to Europe since I lived in England as a teenager - yikes - long time ago -:eek:

We didn't feel the Hilton in Prague was too far out of the way. We found a place to eat about 2-3 blocks from the hotel, Lion something. It was so good we ate there twice. We had the hotel get us a cab to the bridge, about $7.00, walked to Old Town to shop and eat lunch, then caught a cab back to the hotel for $3.00. Our CD told us where to get cabs and to ask the fare first.

We didn't feel the Hilton in Prague was too far out of the way. We found a place to eat about 2-3 blocks from the hotel, Lion something. It was so good we ate there twice. We had the hotel get us a cab to the bridge, about $7.00, walked to Old Town to shop and eat lunch, then caught a cab back to the hotel for $3.00. Our CD told us where to get cabs and to ask the fare first.

Thanks for your input! Did you travel on Bolero? I've been reading mixed reviews, giving me doubts if this is cruise we should take, Gate 1 does not own the boat? Maybe this is how it is done, but makes me wonder how nice it is kept up. Any feedback is appreciated.

We did a Christmas cruise with Gate 1 last year on board the Viktoria and had a FANTASTIC time! We started in Prague, and because of water levels, we weren't able to sail from Regensburg, but started in Passau to Vienna. Gate 1 was good, I would go with them again. And their prices seem to be some of the lower ones around. Go and have fun ... you'll have a memorable time!

Denice

We did a Christmas cruise with Gate 1 last year on board the Viktoria and had a FANTASTIC time! We started in Prague, and because of water levels, we weren't able to sail from Regensburg, but started in Passau to Vienna. Gate 1 was good, I would go with them again. And their prices seem to be some of the lower ones around. Go and have fun ... you'll have a memorable time!

Denice

Thank you for your response! I do have question, how was weather when you went? Were you able to see the sights during daylight and were the markets open during your free time to browse? My son-in-law has been telling me it will be too dark, cold and dreary, I am not believing him. :cool:

We left on Dec 3rd thru the 10th ... our weather was perfect! But I think it was unusual for that time of year. We didn't have any problems with it being dark and gloomy. I wouldn't worry about that at all. After all, once it's dark, the lights come on, and its' beautiful and festive. Bring along long underwear, that will help :)

We left on Dec 3rd thru the 10th ... our weather was perfect! But I think it was unusual for that time of year. We didn't have any problems with it being dark and gloomy. I wouldn't worry about that at all. After all, once it's dark, the lights come on, and its' beautiful and festive. Bring along long underwear, that will help :)

THANK YOU! I am getting excited!

I had heard Ms Bolero was nice. Please keep posting with your questions it's helping me out greatly! The comment about low water at Regensburg is kind of freaking me out though! Whatever trip you take hope it turns out wonderfully!

No reason to freak out, the water level will be what it is. Although I would have liked to visit Regensburg, we did have extra time in Passau, which was a charming town. So it all worked out in the end .... and I will get to Regensburg one of these days!

I had heard Ms Bolero was nice. Please keep posting with your questions it's helping me out greatly! The comment about low water at Regensburg is kind of freaking me out though! Whatever trip you take hope it turns out wonderfully!

Thank you, Kathy, I didn't want to horn in on your topic, however, when I saw it was curious to what the response was for Bolero and hoped I would get a few answers too. I have been wanting to go to Prague for awhile and this is a good way to see it as well as other places of interest. I think we are going to book our trip this week, the Christmas Market Cruises seem to be booking up. The best for you as you make your choice.

If anyone has this answer, I am curious what you do if you have alot of purchases, do you ship back and is it reliable or take an extra suitcase? I have heard space is limited on the boat and to be honest, haven't done my homework yet on how many pieces of luggage are allowed.

If anyone has this answer, I am curious what you do if you have alot of purchases, do you ship back and is it reliable or take an extra suitcase? I have heard space is limited on the boat and to be honest, haven't done my homework yet on how many pieces of luggage are allowed.

We each brought 2 suitcases each, lightly packed so we could pack stuff for the way home. I had packed an empty carry-all canvas bag too, which came in handy. There was plenty of space in our cabin to store the suitcases under the beds. And there was tons of drawer and closet space too. I bought a vase which stands around 16 inches tall in Prague that I thought I would mail back, but the cost to mail it was many more times the cost of the vase itself, so I carried it around. It all worked out in the end.

We each brought 2 suitcases each, lightly packed so we could pack stuff for the way home. I had packed an empty carry-all canvas bag too, which came in handy. There was plenty of space in our cabin to store the suitcases under the beds. And there was tons of drawer and closet space too. I bought a vase which stands around 16 inches tall in Prague that I thought I would mail back, but the cost to mail it was many more times the cost of the vase itself, so I carried it around. It all worked out in the end.

Great suggestions- I appreciate your input! :)

We finally booked today! We are going on the MS Bolero 12/12 for 12 days with Prague & Budapest included. The flight (Luftansa) that we had to book going over from Dulles, Washington DC, gets us into Munich at 10:20 the next morning and catching connecting flight at 10:55 to Budapest! TA assured us we could make it or catch next flight and luggage would go on. I hope he is right! I am very excited and looking forward to this event as I haven't seen this part of the world before. Cruise Critic has been a great resource for me.

I'm so excited for you, know you will have a great trip. Hope you will give a full report when you return. I'm especially interested to hear about the MS Bolero and the Christmas Markets. While on the Poetry last October, I packed a large, solf travel bag under the liner of my suitcase. It was great for dirty clothes, etc. while returning home. Enjoy!

You are going to have a good time. At each Christmas Market, there are booths that sell Gluhwein .... a hot wine, kindof like a hot apple cider. It is really good! And you can take the mug home. Each Market will have their name on the mug, so it's a nice collection. If you don't want the mug, you can return it. You pay something like 2 Euros for the wine, and 3 for the deposit on the mug. If you return it, you get your deposit back, if not, then you get the mug. It's a fun thing to collect. Even Markets in the same city (like Vienna) will have their individual name on the mug.

P.S. I'm not sure if I have the prices right for the gluhwein and mugs, just used that as an example. But it is around there.

WE booked the Christmas Markets Nov 26 for 8 days! I am taking my adult daughter and a girlfriend. Look out here come the girls! Our men don't like the cold, whimps!

Yellowrosetx, I will post a review as soon as we get back to give you a heads up.:D

WOW Kath - congrats on your booking! :) You will beat me! I can't wait to hear of your experiences. I plan to get a journal to keep notes daily. I've regretted not doing it for other trips, now is the time to start! Are you on the MS Bolero and do you know already your cabin number and deck? We'll be on Deck B in the middle, room 217, daughter's will be across in 218. My husband is going, my grown daughter and one of her co-workers. Sounds like we all will have a blast!

Gas - I will give a report upon my return. Thanks for your added insight on the luggage. I am already trying to figure what I want to buy and if I can manage packing it all to bring home!

Denise - How many mugs did you get home? I am needing more room as we converse! I read they have amber and crystal in Prague among other things. I hope I can take some of their food too, if I pack in suitcase. I plan to do research on each place to help me make decisions before I get there. Besides enjoying the scenery an people, I LOVE to shop at unique places that have authentic keepsakes. I may be in trouble on this trip. :D

Regarding attire - is it mainly casual clothing and walking shoes for day, something more in the evenings? I'm trying to keep clothing to a minimal so I will have room for goodies.

Yes Yellowrosetx we are on the Ms. Bolero. I too will be journally my adventure and of course lots of pics. Our cabin is 230.

I cuised to Europe last year and found a lot of use for the fold up tote bags to bring goodies home in!

Denise - How many mugs did you get home? I am needing more room as we converse! I read they have amber and crystal in Prague among other things. I hope I can take some of their food too, if I pack in suitcase. I plan to do research on each place to help me make decisions before I get there. Besides enjoying the scenery an people, I LOVE to shop at unique places that have authentic keepsakes. I may be in trouble on this trip. :D

Regarding attire - is it mainly casual clothing and walking shoes for day, something more in the evenings? I'm trying to keep clothing to a minimal so I will have room for goodies.

I think I came home with around 7 -8 mugs; I know I missed a couple places. Then a friend who I met on board, sent me a mug from the Chicago Christmas Market, so my collection is still growing!

The shopping in Prague is fun! Amber and crystal. I was mostly interested in crystal ... there was some real good prices! BUT this is where we found that mailing back my vase would be 3X as much as the cost, so keep that in mind!

As for attire, it was mostly casual. Comfy shoes are a must!! I got long underwear from wintersilk which came in very handy, even though the weather we had was nice, not overly cold. (I'm from CA so remember, my blood is thin, and I get colder faster than others). Even at night on board the boat, dress was pretty casual. I liked to change my clothes before dinner, just to have something fresh on, but many didn't.

Thank you for all the good wishes and suggestions. The only thing I am concerned about now is the flight over and back. I am assuming most of the best priced bookings have lowest economy seats...I tend to fidget and have anxiety already thinking of being closed in for hours. :( My husband hates to sit by me on a plane!

Wondering if you all normally get upgrades and is it hard and costly to do? We are flying Lufthansa, therefore, I don't have miles with them but we do have some with United which is a partner I think. I would love to go business class but don't want to pay extra $1000!

Archived