ms bolero nov 26 christmas markets

kathy5150

Thank you for all the good wishes and suggestions. The only thing I am concerned about now is the flight over and back. I am assuming most of the best priced bookings have lowest economy seats...I tend to fidget and have anxiety already thinking of being closed in for hours. :( My husband hates to sit by me on a plane!

Wondering if you all normally get upgrades and is it hard and costly to do? We are flying Lufthansa, therefore, I don't have miles with them but we do have some with United which is a partner I think. I would love to go business class but don't want to pay extra $1000!

I normally use miles to fly, and upgrade. We flew Lufthansa last year and was very pleased with the flights. We flew business class, and it was comfortable.

Great suggestions- I appreciate your input! :)

We finally booked today! We are going on the MS Bolero 12/12 for 12 days with Prague & Budapest included. The flight (Luftansa) that we had to book going over from Dulles, Washington DC, gets us into Munich at 10:20 the next morning and catching connecting flight at 10:55 to Budapest! TA assured us we could make it or catch next flight and luggage would go on. I hope he is right! I am very excited and looking forward to this event as I haven't seen this part of the world before. Cruise Critic has been a great resource for me.

Hey gal, we're all gonna be hoofin' it together, since we are on the same flight and same cruise!! Just remember to pack at least a change of underwear in your carry on if you want to have something fresh on for the next day!

I am so psyched about this trip. We have been to many of the places before and had always wanted to do the Christmas markets. Hubby had just enough days of vacation to do it this year.

The flight (Luftansa) that we had to book going over from Dulles, Washington DC, gets us into Munich at 10:20 the next morning and catching connecting flight at 10:55 to Budapest! TA assured us we could make it or catch next flight and luggage would go on. I hope he is right!

yellowrosetx,

Although it sounds quite tight it should work out. Munich is guaranteeing 30 min for connections. And although Munich is No 8 of all European airports you won´t see any crowds (usually). You only have to get off your plane and go to the next gate. As you´re flying in with LH I assume your connection to Budapest is also LH which will be in the same building. So if there´s no dely from Washington it should work out (otherwise they automatically rebook you on a later connection).

The current time table shows the flight from Washington arriving at 10:15 am and the next flight to Budapest leaving at 11:05 am. Check with

www.munich-airport.de

And of course you can use your FF miles from UA for an upgrade with LH. Ask your TA about it.

steamboats

yellowrosetx,

Although it sounds quite tight it should work out. Munich is guaranteeing 30 min for connections. And although Munich is No 8 of all European airports you won´t see any crowds (usually). You only have to get off your plane and go to the next gate. As you´re flying in with LH I assume your connection to Budapest is also LH which will be in the same building. So if there´s no dely from Washington it should work out (otherwise they automatically rebook you on a later connection).

The current time table shows the flight from Washington arriving at 10:15 am and the next flight to Budapest leaving at 11:05 am. Check with

www.munich-airport.de

And of course you can use your FF miles from UA for an upgrade with LH. Ask your TA about it.

steamboats

Thanks for the info! :) Yes, we are flying Lufthansa/United all the way, I will check into the FF miles as we have them with United. Also, thank you for the link. I'm glad we are going through Munich.

Hey gal, we're all gonna be hoofin' it together, since we are on the same flight and same cruise!! Just remember to pack at least a change of underwear in your carry on if you want to have something fresh on for the next day!

I am so psyched about this trip. We have been to many of the places before and had always wanted to do the Christmas markets. Hubby had just enough days of vacation to do it this year.

Great! See you there! I am really excited about it too. We almost did the 10 day plus Prague, but figured since we are there we should stay the extra and see Budapest too. Everything I've seen on Prague I love, can't wait.

Great! See you there! I am really excited about it too. We almost did the 10 day plus Prague, but figured since we are there we should stay the extra and see Budapest too. Everything I've seen on Prague I love, can't wait.

We've been to both, and Budapest is our fave. You will love it as your introduction to Eastern Europe. Lots of authentic handwork that is typically Hungarian.

The tours they are providing are really great, and their Christmas market and the rest of Veci street should be beautiful at the holidays. The only side trip we will be taking is to Salzburg.

Our agent rerouted us through Frankfurt, so we will have a 07:10 to 08:00 connection to Budapest. We leave Dulles at 5:27. We are SO looking forward to this!!

Our agent rerouted us through Frankfurt, so we will have a 07:10 to 08:00 connection to Budapest. We leave Dulles at 5:27. We are SO looking forward to this!!

That sounds like a good flight schedule, tight in Frankfurt though. I wish we were getting in earlier, I didn't know the TA would reroute after booking?

Since you've been over there, or anyone else that reads this, did you take converter for plugs? My dh uses a CPAP machine and we are wondering about that as well as if plugs over there are sparse where you would need an extra cord to reach? I hope I make sense. I looked at Gate 1 site about MS Bolero and the hotel websites and didn't see any mention about voltage etc. Just that they are suppose to have hair dryers.

This is really tight for Frankfurt!!

Since you've been over there, or anyone else that reads this, did you take converter for plugs? My dh uses a CPAP machine and we are wondering about that as well as if plugs over there are sparse where you would need an extra cord to reach? I hope I make sense. I looked at Gate 1 site about MS Bolero and the hotel websites and didn't see any mention about voltage etc. Just that they are suppose to have hair dryers.

Voltage on all European river cruise ships is 230V with European round prongs. You definitely need an adapter for the plug-ins. A converter is turning down the voltage from 230 to 110V. Those devices are quite heavy and you have to take care that the converter fits to the wattage of your electronic device. I do have a very "small" converter which I am using over here for my US Christmas lights. I can only plug in two chains of lights because of the low wattage of my converter. In case you need an extra cord ask aboard. They usually do have a supply of adapters and extensions. Your extension cords might have problems with the voltage and cause a fire. Modern electronic devices like chargers for digital cameras, video cameras and laptops usually work with 110-240V and do not need any converter for recharging (but an adaptor for the plugs). There should be a label on each electronic device saying what kind of voltage can be used.

steamboats

This is really tight for Frankfurt!!

Voltage on all European river cruise ships is 230V with European round prongs. You definitely need an adapter for the plug-ins. A converter is turning down the voltage from 230 to 110V. Those devices are quite heavy and you have to take care that the converter fits to the wattage of your electronic device. I do have a very "small" converter which I am using over here for my US Christmas lights. I can only plug in two chains of lights because of the low wattage of my converter. In case you need an extra cord ask aboard. They usually do have a supply of adapters and extensions. Your extension cords might have problems with the voltage and cause a fire. Modern electronic devices like chargers for digital cameras, video cameras and laptops usually work with 110-240V and do not need any converter for recharging (but an adaptor for the plugs). There should be a label on each electronic device saying what kind of voltage can be used.

steamboats

Thanks, Steamboats - you have been a great help with your knowledge and input. :) Also, regarding flight connections, think I will stick with Munich, may be easier to manage for my first flight over there.

yellowrosetx,

Definitely stick with Munich! All transatlantic flights stopp directly at the terminal building. Only smaller planes are on the field with a bus transport. Arrivals for LH from the US are at terminal 2 at the north end of the building, arrivals for US/UA are at the south end of the building. The terminal building is 1 km long and there are those "flat" escalators which you can use for most of the walking. All star alliance flights arrive/depart from terminal 2.

In Frankfurt most planes do not get a parking position at the terminal buildings but stop on the field and you have to take a bus to the building and then another bus from the gate to your connecting plane. It´s quite a mess. Frankfurt and Heathrow are on my "airports to avoid" list.

BTW: The staff on the plane does get a list with people connecting to other planes. They definitely know who has a tight connection. So do remind your flight attendant prior to landing that you need to get out as fast as possible. In case there are open seats in business/first they might move you there prior to landing so you can get out first.

steamboats

yellowrosetx,

Definitely stick with Munich! All transatlantic flights stopp directly at the terminal building. Only smaller planes are on the field with a bus transport. Arrivals for LH from the US are at terminal 2 at the north end of the building, arrivals for US/UA are at the south end of the building. The terminal building is 1 km long and there are those "flat" escalators which you can use for most of the walking. All star alliance flights arrive/depart from terminal 2.

In Frankfurt most planes do not get a parking position at the terminal buildings but stop on the field and you have to take a bus to the building and then another bus from the gate to your connecting plane. It´s quite a mess. Frankfurt and Heathrow are on my "airports to avoid" list.

BTW: The staff on the plane does get a list with people connecting to other planes. They definitely know who has a tight connection. So do remind your flight attendant prior to landing that you need to get out as fast as possible. In case there are open seats in business/first they might move you there prior to landing so you can get out first.

steamboats

wow, thanks for the heads up here. Have sent your info to my TA with a request to change. Even if you are up front in Frankfurt, that just gets you a better seat on the bus, no? another problem is traveling at the holidays. With all the GIs presumably going through Frankfurt, may be a mess. Plus, I'd really rather be stranded in Munich, if truth be told... (grin)

wow, thanks for the heads up here. Have sent your info to my TA with a request to change. Even if you are up front in Frankfurt, that just gets you a better seat on the bus, no? another problem is traveling at the holidays. With all the GIs presumably going through Frankfurt, may be a mess. Plus, I'd really rather be stranded in Munich, if truth be told... (grin)

Hope you get your flight worked out. I am sticking with Munich. A neighbor friend of mine that is from Germany agreed with Steamboats regarding the airports. She goes back once or twice a year to see family, says Frankfurt is huge and is major transfer for those connecting to middle east.

I will be ready for cold weather after the muggy heat this summer!

Archived