Will RCCL Sell Me Transfers If I'm Not Buying Their Air?

Len3

We need to travel from London to Southampon RT. Will RCCL sell us just the transfer transportation? We're using FF miles for the air.

Yes, and you can even book just one way. We sometimes take a cab to the ship but the RCCL shuttle to the sirport after the cruise.

d

If you booked your cruise through RCCL.com you can log into My Cruises (at the top of the RCCL page) and in the top section called Cruise Details, there is a Transportation section. In that section it will will say "No Airport Transfers selected". Press the "Edit" button next to that and the prices and times will appear. You purchase from there.

If you booked through a TA, your TA can get them for you.

I hope this helps!

KateO

Yes, I meant October 6, 2007, my brain just went haywire again. I'll have my TA do it. Does anyone know how long it takes from London to Southampton with RCCL transportation?

I did the transfer in April from Gatwick to Southampton (for Liberty) and it took about 1 and half hours....but....coming back it took over 3 hours due to traffic.:eek:

We are doing the NV in Sept and the transfers, so I can let you know when I come back more about them.:D

Is there a train from either Gatwick or downtown London for the

RT to Southampton? If so, that might be best for us as we're spending 2 days pre and post cruise in London. Does anyone know of a website for this?

I recently was on Monarch and attempted to purchase transfers from LAX to San Pedro and reverse trip. Since my flights were not on the day of embarkation or disembarkation, they would not sell me any transfers. Before you ask, we were staying extra before and after the cruise and after factoring rental car charges from LGB and LAX and cab fare from San Pedro to LGB, a transfer from pier to LAX would have been cheaper overall. Perhaps a RC "plant" could enlighten us as to why cruisers do not have the option to purchase transfers if the flights are not on the same day as dis/embarkation.

Is there a train from either Gatwick or downtown London for the

RT to Southampton? If so, that might be best for us as we're spending 2 days pre and post cruise in London. Does anyone know of a website for this?

There is a train and National Express Coach. If you are going to London (which I recommend) then you can make your own arrangements on either the train of the bus and save a ton of money. In your case I think a RCI transfer is going to cause you far more pain than doing your own thing. Check out the Ports section of this forum as this topic is covered frequently there by people who have used this. We are probably doing the National Express Coach in November from London to Southampton. It is a lot cheaper and faster than RCI's transfers.

jc

Perhaps a RC "plant" could enlighten us as to why cruisers do not have the option to purchase transfers if the flights are not on the same day as dis/embarkation.
Transfers are provided between the airport and cruise terminal on embarkation/debarkation days with shuttle busses running full both directions.

Not airport to hotel on one day, hotel to cruise terminal the next day, cruise terminal to hotel upon your return, hotel to airport on yet another day. Unless, of course, you have booked your pre-and/or-post cruise stays through RCCL.

I don't imagine it would be profitable for RCCL to provide transfers for all area hotels every day of the week for a handful of people. That's what cabs are for.

P.S. I'm not a RCCL "plant". Just a practical-thinking person considering all the logistics involved. :cool:

KATEO: i tried to reserve transfers for my trip back but when i went into " my cruises " it did not show an edit button near transportation?! :confused: am i missing something??? thanks for your help....:)

Hey, Jill, not sure what's going on. Did you book through a TA then get the number to view your cruise on My Cruises? If yes, I've noticed that a lot of options are not available when you do that. You'll have to book through your TA....

If not the above then perhaps the site was not working correctly (again)? Try again... I just logged in and had the edit option. If it's still not there, you'll have to call RCCL to book the transfer.

KateO

Does anyone know the cost of the ship's transfers? Can you make the decision last minute? And where do you buy them? I am glad to know this may be an option...

$70.00 for our family of 5 at the Miami airport. We did not make prior arrangements. Just went to the RCI counter in the bag claim area. I do not know if this convenience is available at other airports, but I would not be surprised. There were porters available that will make sure your luggage gets to the boat. Claim it at baggage claim, get your transfer voucher and give your luggage to the porter (and yes, they should be tipped). It will show up in your cabin later that day. Very convenient. There was a short wait for the bus, but not too bad.

Just one small note. If you are using FF miles but staying in a pre cruise hotel arranged through RCI you must arrange transportation to the hotel yourself. You will be bussed to the port as your transfers will be included in your hotel stay. If you are doing post cruise hotel through RCI, you will be bussed back to the hotel and then you must arrange your own transportation back to the airport.

If you are using FF miles and arriving on the day of embarkation and flying home on debarkation day, then you can purchase the transfers.

$70.00 for our family of 5 at the Miami airport. We did not make prior arrangements. Just went to the RCI counter in the bag claim area. I do not know if this convenience is available at other airports, but I would not be surprised. There were porters available that will make sure your luggage gets to the boat. Claim it at baggage claim, get your transfer voucher and give your luggage to the porter (and yes, they should be tipped). It will show up in your cabin later that day. Very convenient. There was a short wait for the bus, but not too bad.

Leslie, this is possible, but not guaranteed. freedomrider was able to walk right up and ask to get on the bus, but if it is already fully booked, they can and will say *no*. Same thing when disembarking from your cruise.

Personally, with two or more in a cab, I would always opt for the cab. :)

I called RC and asked to be transferred from pier to LAX and they REFUSED to sell me a transfer because I was not flying in or out on the day of embarkation/disembarkation. No hotels were involved. It was the same bus transporting people to and from the airport. I have been on other lines that had no problem transferring me.

Transfers are provided between the airport and cruise terminal on embarkation/debarkation days with shuttle busses running full both directions.

Not airport to hotel on one day, hotel to cruise terminal the next day, cruise terminal to hotel upon your return, hotel to airport on yet another day. Unless, of course, you have booked your pre-and/or-post cruise stays through RCCL.

I don't imagine it would be profitable for RCCL to provide transfers for all area hotels every day of the week for a handful of people. That's what cabs are for.

P.S. I'm not a RCCL "plant". Just a practical-thinking person considering all the logistics involved. :cool:

We were told the same thing as jm1shorts. We offered to drive back out to the airport even on our own dime, but they check the manifest of the flights that day and they will not do it unless you are on a manifest that day. It is very frustrating.

We are doing a Med cruise out of Rome... I have heard it can be as much as 160 EUROS each way for a cab. I would much rather pay RCL for the transfer and not have to worry about a cab. It wouldn't hurt RCL any to sell them to people who are willing to go back to the airport or to hotel they are already picking up at. In our case there are no pre-cruise hotels open (there are only waitlists).

I know it isn't the end of the world, but it is somewhat frustrating....

There are train and bus options from the airport to Rome and from Rome to the port. They will be a lot cheaper (if less convenient) than a taxi. The train system in Italy is good. The only potential downside would be a strike in the transit system, but then you could always take the cab. I think that is unlikely and wouldn't keep me from considering it. We took the train and subway in 2004 on our Italian land trip and found them to be quite adequate.

I personally would never bother with a cruise ship transfer unless I was flying on their arrangements (which to me is a bad thing to begin with) because they are always slower and more costly than similar things you can arrange on your own.

Another option is to book a tour which includes taking you to the port thru an Italian guide service.

jc

Leslie, this is possible, but not guaranteed. freedomrider was able to walk right up and ask to get on the bus, but if it is already fully booked, they can and will say *no*. Same thing when disembarking from your cruise.

Personally, with two or more in a cab, I would always opt for the cab. :)

I defer to more experience. :)

Archived