Previous alaska explorers Foot wear question

Another question...

I see that some of the excursions provide "glacier boots". Are these regular boots worn over socks or are they something that clamp on to hiking boots?

Are hiking boots recommended or will sturdy walking shoes work?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Maureen

The glacier boots that were provided on our helicopter/dog sledding excursion out of Juneau slipped on over our own footwear. I was wearing boots with rubber soles and just slipped them on over. As far as hiking boots, it would depend on what land activities you are planning on doing. We didn't have a need for them but check your tour excursion description carefully.

I agree with greytstuff. If you are planning to hike on your own and do not have a description, some trails can be very wet and slippery. We started up the Mt. Roberts trail in Juneau but turned around when we saw all the returning hikers covered in mud. A lot depends on the weather in the days prior to your visit. The tourist offices in town often have free hiking maps. For the most part, regular tennis shoes are fine. Good luck.

I would recommend you keep away from tennis shoes and purchase a pair of quick drying light weight hiking shoes (boots probably are not necessary). You can find an inexpensive pair at REI Outlet or Sierra Trading Post.

The sturdier soles make things more comfortable and if you shoes get wet or muddy, you can rinse them off and they will dry very quickly. (Damp sneakers are uncomfortable...and smell up the suite!)

I took a pair of waterproof shoes I bought at Land's End, though I don't currently see them on their website. They were lightweight and had a good grip sole. I wore them every day and they were perfect. Next time they will be the only shoes I bring for daytime use. You might find something similar at LL Bean or Zappos or someplace like that.

When we visit Alaska, I always take my hiking shoes--if we are going to do a lot of hiking around glaciers, I take my hiking boots too, more for warmth than anything else. You want something you won't mind getting dirty/muddy, so I wouldn't wear my regular tennis shoes.

I had bought a pair of Kenneth Cole ankle high wedge boots with a rubber sole with some tread. I then waterproofed them and I wore them every day. They were sooo....comfortable, looked nice and will serve me well for future use. However, did no hiking in rough terrain but did walk on snow, ice, wet everything and had no problem. Tennis/athletic shoes are not really good for most activities on land.

Archived