Anyone from NYC, please come in

amber2007

I will be in NYC this summer for two days. I am staying at the Milford Plaza. I am trying to figure out how to get around and what I want to see. I want to go to Canal Street, I heard it has good shopping. I also want to visit SouthPort. Is it faster to go from Canal street to Southport than from the Times Square area? Also, is Canal Street close to China Town? Any tips you can offer will be great. TIA

I will be in NYC this summer for two days. I am staying at the Milford Plaza. I am trying to figure out how to get around and what I want to see. I want to go to Canal Street, I heard it has good shopping. I also want to visit SouthPort. Is it faster to go from Canal street to Southport than from the Times Square area? Also, is Canal Street close to China Town? Any tips you can offer will be great. TIA

Your hotel is located in a great spot! We stayed at the Paramount which is across from the Milford and you are one block away from the heart of Times Square and the theatre district. Its very easy to get to all of the places you want to go. Just get a day pass on the subway. Canal Street is in the heart of China town. Just spend the day walking around, there is nothing better to do in NY then walk around. Visit Rockafellar center, Soho, The Village, Little Italy.

Go to www.frommers.com and type in New York City for everything you need.

You have 3 great choices to get around NYC & you will most likely use a combo of them:

walk -- that's what most NYers do

take a cab -- very easy, they are everywhere

take public transportation -- you can go on line & look stuff up; you can get maps; you can ask the concierge

Except for downtown. NY is a big grid. It's really easy.

use the Subway...all the time! for each fare you pay...there is 1 free transfer...bus to subway...subway to bus. (there are a few rules that govern this...but you don't need to know this now).

you should really become familiar with this. it's not that hard to figure out.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

actually...if you do a google map of say...rockefeller center zoom out just a bit...and you'll be able to see subway stations that are nearby. used in conjuction with the map link above...this will be TOO easy to plan your 2 days.

and in the middle of the day...i highly recommend subway versus bus or cab. just today...i had a meeting at E16th and Ave C. afterward i ask my coworker to drive me uptown to 57th and 5th to get a bday gift for my wife (take a guess what store). and let me tell you...i felt so bad that i asked for a ride. i should have known to just take the subway.

be mindful of your surroundings in chinatown. it's SUPER congested there...more so than other places in manhattan. when shopping, becareful of what you buy...there are plenty of knockoffs (some better than others). for the best place where locals eat try HOP KEE (on Mott St). it's a below ground restaurant. totally no frills...but the food is excellent! i've been going there for 34 years.

oh...and you might want to wear comfortable shoes when walking in NYC. i know flip flop/thong sandals are in style and some women really look hot wearing them...but they aren't really meant for long distance walking.

I was just at Canal street last Saturday. I heard that it was a big shopping area with purses and all of that stuff. Boy, I couldn't wait to leave Canal Street and Chinatown. I hated it. I did not buy a thing their. I couldn't wait to go to Chinatown, but then I saw it. It smells, the people are rude, and the shopping is not that good. I bought my stuff and Battery Park and it was easy and fun. I would not recommend Chinatown to my worst enemy. When I go back to NYC, I will not be making a special trip to Chinatown like I did this year.

I was just at Canal street last Saturday. I heard that it was a big shopping area with purses and all of that stuff. Boy, I couldn't wait to leave Canal Street and Chinatown. I hated it. I did not buy a thing their. I couldn't wait to go to Chinatown, but then I saw it. It smells, the people are rude, and the shopping is not that good. I bought my stuff and Battery Park and it was easy and fun. I would not recommend Chinatown to my worst enemy. When I go back to NYC, I will not be making a special trip to Chinatown like I did this year.

Chinatown is quite stinky and crowded but I still go down there. The side streets are much easier to walk on. There has been a lot of crackdown on illegal copying of designer stuff. You can get the real stuff at century 21 which is a WONDERFUL department store right across from ground zero.

alas, the truth about chinatown is revealed. that part of the city has been a problem sanitation-wise. and i don't understand why they city can't do anything about it. i can only guess what the population of chinatown alone is.

but for all the negative things...i would certainly give it 1 visit. (at least the poster above me can say definitively that they would never return to chinatown).

the problem street is really Mott Street. its where all the tourist trap shops, restaurants, street peddlers, grocers are located all within 2 blocks. they are also along Canal Street. i would start at Varick and Canal (the #1 train station). as you walk uphill along Canal...you will see the beginning of all these stores. but there is still room to manuever...and some of these places have knockoff designer bags where they only let a few people in at a time and DOWN COMES THE ROLL UP DOOR.

i'd say chinatown is worth 1 visit. only then will you determine if you will return.

Chinatown is quite stinky and crowded but I still go down there. The side streets are much easier to walk on. There has been a lot of crackdown on illegal copying of designer stuff. You can get the real stuff at century 21 which is a WONDERFUL department store right across from ground zero.

the food in chinatown is 2nd to none. this is the real stuff folks...not your hometown "sweet and sour chicken" variety. and just like other ethnic cuisines...

one can only imagine what the menu in chinese/korean/japanese writing says...speaking of which...koreatown is in the 30s...midtown.

the food in chinatown is 2nd to none. this is the real stuff folks...not your hometown "sweet and sour chicken" variety. and just like other ethnic cuisines...

one can only imagine what the menu in chinese/korean/japanese writing says...speaking of which...koreatown is in the 30s...midtown.

I agree, the food in Chinatown is really good. The best thing to do is eat in Chinatown and then go to Little Italy (a block over) for dessert. Some of the restaurants are real holes in the wall but they are yummy and very reasonable.

Even though evrybody says that the food in Chinatown is great, I don't think I would eat there (at any of the restaurants) even if the food was FREE. I'm just not into that kinda thing, even though I am a bargin hunter. I'd rather eat had a great steakhouse uptown.

Even though evrybody says that the food in Chinatown is great, I don't think I would eat there (at any of the restaurants) even if the food was FREE. I'm just not into that kinda thing, even though I am a bargin hunter. I'd rather eat had a great steakhouse uptown.

I've eaten in Chinatown for years. I've never gotten sick. The food is great, especially at Dim Sum Go Go.

Steak and Chinese food are two completely different things. I would go to a fabulous steakhouse any day as well. If you want any recommendations on steakhouses (OP), I'm sure people here could give you a ton.

I agree, the food in Chinatown is really good. The best thing to do is eat in Chinatown and then go to Little Italy (a block over) for dessert. Some of the restaurants are real holes in the wall but they are yummy and very reasonable.

hmmmm...tough call on that one. definitely little italy...but i'd have to throw in Greenwich Village...so many dessert places there also.

Le Figaro on MacDougal is nice!!!

I've eaten in Chinatown for years. I've never gotten sick. The food is great, especially at Dim Sum Go Go.

Steak and Chinese food are two completely different things. I would go to a fabulous steakhouse any day as well. If you want any recommendations on steakhouses (OP), I'm sure people here could give you a ton.

i can cook up some awesome ribeye steaks...zonehph style. i'd never sell you on texas style. but my steaks are pretty tasty...ask my wife!

I had SO much fun in Chinatown ... I thought it was a HOOT! (But then we also cross the border to Nuevo Laredo to shop and think it's wonderful.) I was there last June with a group of women. One of the ladies' hairdressers had told her to get there at 10 am when the shops open. This was a great tip! We naively asked about handbags and two of us were whisked away into this little room the size of a broom closet. There were handbags from top to bottom. The other ladies were scared to death as they couldn't figure out how we could disappear from the face of the earth in a little tiny store. We all ended up in that little room ... and many more to follow. Everyone was friendly, polite and nice as could be. But, then, we Southerns think everyone is nice. Food was so good! Thanks for the HOP KEE tip ... we'll go in August as we'll be back in NYC for a precruise visit. Okay - here is the big question ... how can I get two tickets to "Jersey Boys!!!" Ha! (Back to getting there early - they are just opening up, will bargain and you'll avoid the huge crowds.)

I had SO much fun in Chinatown ... I thought it was a HOOT! (But then we also cross the border to Nuevo Laredo to shop and think it's wonderful.) I was there last June with a group of women. One of the ladies' hairdressers had told her to get there at 10 am when the shops open. This was a great tip! We naively asked about handbags and two of us were whisked away into this little room the size of a broom closet. There were handbags from top to bottom. The other ladies were scared to death as they couldn't figure out how we could disappear from the face of the earth in a little tiny store. We all ended up in that little room ... and many more to follow. Everyone was friendly, polite and nice as could be. But, then, we Southerns think everyone is nice. Food was so good! Thanks for the HOP KEE tip ... we'll go in August as we'll be back in NYC for a precruise visit. Okay - here is the big question ... how can I get two tickets to "Jersey Boys!!!" Ha! (Back to getting there early - they are just opening up, will bargain and you'll avoid the huge crowds.)

i'm a Jersey Boy...but you'll have to book through my wife. JUST KIDDING! i think part of the possible fun would be to stand in line at the TKTS booth in the middle of Times Square (that IS STILL THERE RIGHT?) HEHEHEHEHEH.

but seriously...my wife is a trained theater person...i just let her do the bookings for us.

as for HOP KEE...i wouldn't go there for 34 years if i didn't enjoy it. another tip about this place and several places in chinatown...this restaurant is CASH ONLY. and if you are more comfortable with things like your "standard" chinese-american dishes...i assure you...you've never tasted beef and broccoli this good!

as for soups...WOR WONTON SOUP. not your typical wonton soup. it also has...pieces of roast duck, slices of chinese pork, chicken, shrimp, slices of beef, bokchoy, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, straw mushrooms, and baby corn.......I THINK THAT'S ALL.

another favorite (although too hot for this place)...is the WONTON GARDEN. it's a noodle/soup house. you rub elbows with the customers next to you its' that cramped...but fun...IMO.

and finally for the more traditional restaurant style...Mr. Tangs...also on Mott Street...get the ginger/scallion noodles.

I MIGHT BE IN DALLAS IN AUGUST...(figured that's when TX is coolest temperature-wise, right? ahahahahahah)

Another hint, there is a TKTS booth at the South Street Seaport as well and much less crowded. If you have the time, go there. I am pretty sure you can get tickets for the evening of the next day (Sunday if you go on Saturday) but I'm not sure. It used to be like that when the TKTS booth was at the World Trade Center. You can get the tickets in advance because the booth is not near the theater. Also try http://www.theatermania.com

I think I might have to give Hop Kee a try this weekend. I am suddenly craving Chinese food.

ZoneHPH is correct, most of the places in Chinatown are cash only. That is probably true also if you are going to get a behind the doors knockoff bag.

Dessert topic - Little Italy has great cannolis. Greenwich Village has great dessert in general. Even the East Village is getting in on the dessert craze. There is a restaurant called Chikalicious dessert bar in NYC which for $12 you get a prix fix three course dessert meal, YUMMY :D. And if you like rice pudding, there is a restaurant in SOHO that sells only rice pudding - all kinds - all flavors.

Another hint, there is a TKTS booth at the South Street Seaport as well and much less crowded. If you have the time, go there. I am pretty sure you can get tickets for the evening of the next day (Sunday if you go on Saturday) but I'm not sure. It used to be like that when the TKTS booth was at the World Trade Center. You can get the tickets in advance because the booth is not near the theater. Also try http://www.theatermania.com

I think I might have to give Hop Kee a try this weekend. I am suddenly craving Chinese food.

ZoneHPH is correct, most of the places in Chinatown are cash only. That is probably true also if you are going to get a behind the doors knockoff bag.

Dessert topic - Little Italy has great cannolis. Greenwich Village has great dessert in general. Even the East Village is getting in on the dessert craze. There is a restaurant called Chikalicious dessert bar in NYC which for $12 you get a prix fix three course dessert meal, YUMMY :D. And if you like rice pudding, there is a restaurant in SOHO that sells only rice pudding - all kinds - all flavors.

name game...

just trust me that the food is good. it really is no frills. and if you do'nt like it...i can make it up to you with a great italian place in NJ! hehehehehehehe

EVERYONE...i think it's quite intuitive...if you plan to haggle...which is tough to do in chinatown...cash is the only way to do it.

we all know the benefits of a cash only operation. *wink*

name game...

just trust me that the food is good. it really is no frills. and if you do'nt like it...i can make it up to you with a great italian place in NJ! hehehehehehehe

EVERYONE...i think it's quite intuitive...if you plan to haggle...which is tough to do in chinatown...cash is the only way to do it.

we all know the benefits of a cash only operation. *wink*

You want to talk about no frills? Have you ever tried Nam Wah on Doyers? I usually go there for greasy, yummy dim sum. If I want something a little "nicer" then Dim Sum Go Go is really good but so easy to get lost trying to find.

Here's the best deal in NYC, no kidding, I've lived here all my life and my wife and I recently did this, and it was FANTASTIC!!!.. Take the Grey Line double decker Sightseeing bus Buy a ticket and get off and on all day! You'd want to doi the lower Manhattan loop. It stops at all the best sights, Times Sq., Macys, Geound Zero, Chinatown, Little Italy, Southstreet Seaport, etc, etc... You situp top like in a Lomndon Bus, listen to a live tour guide and get off and on as many times as you wish..

Here's the link http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/newyork.go?gclid=CNOJkIH574wCFR_wgAodeHSvCQ

You want to talk about no frills? Have you ever tried Nam Wah on Doyers? I usually go there for greasy, yummy dim sum. If I want something a little "nicer" then Dim Sum Go Go is really good but so easy to get lost trying to find.

oh that's that tiny street in chinatown, right? this is so not fair! i can't really just shoot down there for lunch.

personally i don't care...no fills or all frills. good food is good food. sure can go for some "gallus gallus" talons.

Here's the best deal in NYC, no kidding, I've lived here all my life and my wife and I recently did this, and it was FANTASTIC!!!.. Take the Grey Line double decker Sightseeing bus Buy a ticket and get off and on all day! You'd want to doi the lower Manhattan loop. It stops at all the best sights, Times Sq., Macys, Geound Zero, Chinatown, Little Italy, Southstreet Seaport, etc, etc... You situp top like in a Lomndon Bus, listen to a live tour guide and get off and on as many times as you wish..

Here's the link http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/newyork.go?gclid=CNOJkIH574wCFR_wgAodeHSvCQ

I agree that it is tons of fun and have to believe the nay sayers have never ridden.

Chinatown can be good for bargains but the knockoffs are junk.

oh that's that tiny street in chinatown, right? this is so not fair! i can't really just shoot down there for lunch.

personally i don't care...no fills or all frills. good food is good food. sure can go for some "gallus gallus" talons.

Doyers is one of those tiny little side streets. I work uptown so going to Chinatown for lunch is always out of the question for me, unless of course I am on jury duty which I get called for every 4 years and 3-4 months. I have two years left to go :eek:.

What is "gallus gallus" talons? Should we be afraid to know?

Doyers is one of those tiny little side streets. I work uptown so going to Chinatown for lunch is always out of the question for me, unless of course I am on jury duty which I get called for every 4 years and 3-4 months. I have two years left to go :eek:.

What is "gallus gallus" talons? Should we be afraid to know?

to lessen the shock of what is really is...i employed the genus species nomenclature for the animal...followed by it's specific body part.

i'm sure you can figure it out.

*jeopardy theme*

Archived