ok, call me stupid but....

luv2cruise5

I still dont get the exact meaning of the "passport changes". Here is my question. What if you have a cruise booked for spring break 08, most of us have passports already but my mother who is only going because I begged her to, does not and she does not usually do any traveling outside of the U.S.(hardly out of her state:) ) Should she get one or not? We just booked and I was planning to take her to apply next week, but if she does not have to have it then thats alittle money she can save for the cruise. I know it is probaly pretty clear to most but between the Jan.08 date and the Sept. date and then there is somethig about 6 months I am just confused:confused:

I still dont get the exact meaning of the "passport changes". Here is my question. What if you have a cruise booked for spring break 08, most of us have passports already but my mother who is only going because I begged her to, does not and she does not usually do any traveling outside of the U.S.(hardly out of her state:) ) Should she get one or not? We just booked and I was planning to take her to apply next week, but if she does not have to have it then thats alittle money she can save for the cruise. I know it is probaly pretty clear to most but between the Jan.08 date and the Sept. date and then there is somethig about 6 months I am just confused:confused:

Stupid! :) j/k but you ask us too. Really I'd talk to your travel agent or PVP, but I think it would be best if she had it. I don't quite remember when the exemption runs out for the cruise industry, but if it's not by the time of your cruise, it's close. From my expierence from the 2 cruises I've taken, the passport made it a bit easier in getting back in the country.

From everything I've read, she will need it. The program in force now is until (I believe the date is) 9-30-07. It also does not mean she wouldn't need one. People flying now can get by without a passport but they still have to have proof of application.

Dang, now that I've typed that, I think you are talking for a cruise. Not looking at the dates but I thought they moved the cruise out until June of 08. Check the passport site, I'd still get one. Better safe than sorry.

Like the previous poster said, it's currently 6/08 for cruise pax. When I said curently, that's the rule at present. Valid only until they choose to make another rule. Which might be never...or it might be in 20 minutes. In the past year, it seems like there have been a dozen "rules".

Just get your Mom a Passport. :)

Cruising with a passport really does not make it easier to clear customers. OK, you have to hand them 2 things (DL and BC) vs just the passport, but is that really a big deal? I don't think so. You'll find most people on here are huge proponents of the passport. I am too, but in your mom's case, I'd hold off. True, she may love cruising and want to go over and over again, but she can get a passport at that time. I'd save the money. If this ends up being a one shot deal, she wasted nearly $100. Now that they pushed the date to 6/08, if(when) the date changes again, it will be later in 2009 or into 2009, not sooner. Just don't miss the ship:)

I would think it would really depend on exactly when in June 08 you're cruising. If it's early, maybe not. If it's late in June (return date in July) she will definatley need that passport to get back into the country:p I think personally you should have her get the passport, it's always good to have (who knows when you'll win a trip someplace fabulous!):D

So, did I miss something since yesterday afternoon??? I thought the article posted yesterday said they were lifting the requirement for passports indefinitely for cruise pax. No deadline date yet? If this was the case, I would skip the passport. I know not everyone agrees and this is just my opinion.

The other day I was driving with my two grandsons (age 4 & 6). Some guy cut me off and I muttered 'you stupid...' . Both of my grandsons chimed in, 'PawPaw, you don't say stupid'

Passports even make domestic flying easier for boarding. They are definately worth the cost/hassle.

Why not buy your mom the passport as a gift? Then there will be no controversy on whether she has the correct documentation.

We are travelling in April 2008, does this mean we do or do not need a passport? Where can we verify? It would save us at least $300 if we don't.

Thanks.

We are travelling in April 2008, does this mean we do or do not need a passport? Where can we verify? It would save us at least $300 if we don't.

Thanks.

I guess the price of passports went up?

4. FEES

The passport processing, execution, and security fees may be paid in one of the following forms: Checks (personal, certified, traveler's); major

credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover); bank draft or cashier's check; money order (U.S. Postal, international, currency

exchange), or if abroad, the foreign currency equivalent; or a check drawn on a U.S. bank. All fees should be payable to the "U.S. Department of

State", or if abroad, the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate. When applying at a designated acceptance facility, the $30 execution fee should

be made payable to the acceptance facility. NOTE: Some designated acceptance facilities do not accept credit cards as a form of

payment.

(3) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad to Two U.S. Citizen Parents. Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240),

Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545), or your foreign birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate, proof of citizenship of your

parent(s), and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parent's periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States

and abroad before your birth.

(1) If You Claim Citizenship Through Naturalization of Parent(s). Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your

foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

include your given name and surname, date, and place of birth, date the birth record was filed, and the seal or other certification of the official

custodian of such records.

(1) If the birth certificate was filed more than one year after the birth. It is acceptable if it is supported by evidence described in the next

paragraph.

1. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP

a. APPLICANTS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate. A birth certificate must

DS-11 Instruction Page 2 of 4

IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE DOCUMENT EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY as stated above, you must appear with an IDENTIFYING WITNESS who is

a U.S. citizen, non U.S. citizen national, or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years. Your witness must prove his or her

identity and complete and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness (Form DS-71) before the acceptance agent. You must also submit some

identification of your own.

For applicants with U.S. Government or military authorization for no-fee passports, no fees are charged, except the execution fee when

applying at a designated acceptance facility.

If you desire SPECIAL POSTAGE SERVICE (overnight mail, special delivery, etc.), include the appropriate postage fee with your payment.

An additional $60 fee will be charged when, upon your request, the U.S. Department of State verifies issuance of a previous U.S. passport or

Consular Report of Birth Abroad because you are unable to submit evidence of U.S. citizenship.

If you choose to provide your e-mail address in Item #12 on this application, Passport Services will only use that information to contact you in the

event there is a problem with your application or if you need to provide additional information to us.

BY LAW, THE PASSPORT PROCESSING, EXECUTION, AND SECURITY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

a. If you are 16 years of age or older The passport processing fee is $55, the application execution fee is $30, and the security surcharge

is $12 therefore your total cost for the passport will be $97. Your passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue except where limited

by the Secretary of State to a shorter period. (See information below about the additional cost for expedited service.)

3. TWO RECENT, COLOR PHOTOGRAPHS

Submit two color photographs of you alone, sufficiently recent to be a good likeness of you (normally taken within the last six months), and 2x2

inches in size. The image size measured from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head (including hair) should not be less than 1 inch and

not more than 1 3/8 inches. The photographs must be color, clear, with full front view of your face, and printed on thin paper with plain light (white

or off-white) background. They must be capable of withstanding a mounting temperature of 225°F

(107 °C). Photographs must be taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, or dark glasses unless a signed statement is

submitted by the applicant verifying the item is worn daily for religious purposes or a signed doctor's statement is submitted verifying the item is

used daily for medical purposes. Photographs retouched so that your appearance is changed are unacceptable. Snapshots, most vending

machine prints, and magazine or full-length photographs are unacceptable. Digitized photos must meet the previously stated qualifications and

will be accepted for use at the discretion of Passport Services. (Visit our website for details.)

(4) If You Claim Citizenship Through Adoption by a U.S. Citizen Parent(s). Submit evidence of your permanent residence status, full

c. ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE When necessary, we may ask you to provide additional evidence to establish your claim to U.S.

citizenship.

Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545), or your foreign birth certificate, proof of citizenship of your parent, and an affidavit showing

all of your U.S. citizen parent's periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

(2) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad to One U.S. Citizen Parent. Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240),

For faster processing, you may request expedited service. Expedited requests will be processed in three workdays from receipt at a passport

agency. The additional fee for expedited service is $60. Therefore, if you choose to request expedited service and you are 16 years of age or

older the total cost of your U.S. passport will be $157 and if you are 15 years of age or younger the total cost of your U.S. passport will be

$142. Expedited service is available only in the United States.

is $12, therefore your total cost for the passport will be $82. Your passport will be valid for 5 years from the date of issue except where limited

by the Secretary of State to a shorter period. (See information below about the additional cost for expedited service.)

Passport photos at the most should cost to $20 for 4 of them. If you need a copy of your birth certificate, it's probably another $5-20 fee.

So where do you get the $300 from? At the most, it should cost $137 for the regular service and you should have it in plenty of time for your cruise.

Passport make traveling easier, even if it's domestic flights. I travel for work a lot and carry my passport with me (along with my DL) and it's just been easier.

If she decides she likes cruising and wants to cruise again in the future, you have a passport that is good for many years and don't have to go through the hassle later, when the prices will probably go up again as well.

Passport photos at the most should cost to $20 for 4 of them. If you need a copy of your birth certificate, it's probably another $5-20 fee.

So where do you get the $300 from? At the most, it should cost $137 for the regular service and you should have it in plenty of time for your cruise.

Passport make traveling easier, even if it's domestic flights. I travel for work a lot and carry my passport with me (along with my DL) and it's just been easier.

If she decides she likes cruising and wants to cruise again in the future, you have a passport that is good for many years and don't have to go through the hassle later, when the prices will probably go up again as well.

I know assuming is not a good thing to do, but maybe the person asking this question (since it was not the OP) has a family of three?

I'm going to put a slightly different spin on it than others are. I don't know how old your Mom is or what kind of health she's in or what ports you are going to, but I would not let my Mom get on the ship without a passport incase something happened and we had to arrange for her to come home via air in an emergency. Yes, she'd be able to get back (eventually) otherwise but I want to make sure that everything will be as expedited as possible if anything happens. To me, this is kind of like an extra insurance.

You will not need a passport for cruise travel next spring break. Here is the weblink to the homeland security website:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm

Here is the timeframe below in bold - at earliest summer '08:

DHS Advances Initiative to Strengthen Border Security and Facilitate Entry into the United States

WHTI Land and Sea Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Published

Release Date: June 20, 2007

Fact Sheet:

Strengthening Border Security and Facilitating Entry into the United States

USCBP-2007-0061: Land and Sea NPRM (PDF 114 pages - 3.62MB)

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS) announced today the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for the land and sea portion of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), a core 9/11 Commission recommendation. Proposed rules require a passport or other secure document denoting citizenship and identity for all land and sea travel into the United States.

"Secure documents are a national imperative that will prevent dangerous people from entering our country using fraudulent identification," said DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff. "This initiative fixes a vulnerability first identified by the 9/11 Commission and later addressed by Congress. It will enhance our ability to assess threats and confirm identity at ports of entry, while continuing to facilitate lawful travel and commerce."

As the first rational step as we move towards full WHTI implementation, DHS intends to end the routine practice of accepting oral declarations alone at land and sea ports of entry. On Jan. 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

At a later date to be determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security in consultation with the Secretary of State, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders*. The NPRM also outlines ongoing efforts to provide other alternative documents.

Guest nhrich

Just get the passports, or you'll be in the same situation later that everyone else is in now...waiting 3-4 months for them.

Thank you everyone for your help. I am still on the fence on this one but since I am not a big risk taker I will probaly go ahead and take her to get one. By the way our cruise is March of 08. thanks again and happy cruising:)

I know assuming is not a good thing to do, but maybe the person asking this question (since it was not the OP) has a family of three?

Exactly - we are a family of 3. $97 for each passport plus $8 p/p for photos (the least expensive I have found) - ballpark $300.

Maybe she is a family of 3 as I am it will cost us over 300.00 to get them:)

Yesterday it said, the exact June date has not been anounced yet, it also says you still will have to show proof you applied for your PP, not sure if thats just for air travel or both.

The rule requiring all U.S. air arrivals to show passports has been postponed until Sept. 30, 2007. Until then, passengers arriving at an air gateway must show a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license) plus a receipt proving they have applied for a passport.

The new deadline for land and sea arrivals to show passports has been pushed back from January 2008 until the end of June, though that date has not been officially announced yet.

In the interim...

• U.S. citizens will need to show photo ID issued by a government agency plus proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate).

• Kids under 15 traveling with their parents need only birth certificates.

Got that? Good – it may change again tomorrow.

Ok, call me stupid too. My niece will be cruising with me in 3/2008, I was going to get her a passport, but know I'm not. She will be 14 when we cruise and her passport will only be good for 5 yrs.(not worth the $$). Here is my question, can she get a State ID at 14?? That way we will only need her birth cert. and ID, right?

Thanks for the help!!

Ok, call me stupid too. My niece will be cruising with me in 3/2008, I was going to get her a passport, but know I'm not. She will be 14 when we cruise and her passport will only be good for 5 yrs.(not worth the $$). Here is my question, can she get a State ID at 14?? That way we will only need her birth cert. and ID, right?

Thanks for the help!!

At 14 all she will need is her BC, although she can get a state issued ID card if it makes you feel better, or she can use her school ID. Don't forget to bring along a notorized statement saying she has permission to travel with you.

Here is what the Department of homeland Security says:

• U.S. citizens will need to show photo ID issued by a government agency plus proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate).

• Kids under 15 traveling with their parents need only birth certificates.

Thank you everyone for your help. I am still on the fence on this one but since I am not a big risk taker I will probaly go ahead and take her to get one. By the way our cruise is March of 08. thanks again and happy cruising:)
Hi luv2cruise, consider this, my husband and I got our passports the first time we cruised, and now I justify making all those cruise reservations by telling him "we have to get our moneys worth out of the passports":D

Cheers, Carole (whose husband obviously doesn't read cc boards)

Archived