ok, call me stupid but....

luv2cruise5

We are travelling in April 2008, does this mean we do or do not need a passport? Where can we verify? It would save us at least $300 if we don't.

Thanks.

Here is the website for the most current passport info: www.travel.state.gov It has everything from locations, fees, latest rules, etc.

I would recommend the passport. Yes, after photos, it will cost a little over $100; but I'd rather have it, than need it. I personally dread the thought of being on the other side of the border and one of us needing to be flown back to the US ASAP. :( I'm thinking medical or urgent family reasons.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide & Happy Sailing!! :D

At 14 all she will need is her BC, although she can get a state issued ID card if it makes you feel better, or she can use her school ID. Don't forget to bring along a notorized statement saying she has permission to travel with you.

Here is what the Department of homeland Security says:

• U.S. citizens will need to show photo ID issued by a government agency plus proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate).

• Kids under 15 traveling with their parents need only birth certificates.

Thanks!! That statement you are talking about is the one that CCL sent me correct? Or do I need another one?

Thanks Again!!!

Okay, I have a passport and so does my oldest dd, 20 yo. No one else has one. I wasn't planning on getting them. We cruise in January. I don't want to get my dd who will be turning 16 on Jan. 15th one until she is 16 so that it can go for 10 years and not 5. Maybe I'll get one for dh and son, but not the younger ones - 13, 11, 8 yo twins.

What do you think?

Okay, I have a passport and so does my oldest dd, 20 yo. No one else has one. I wasn't planning on getting them. We cruise in January. I don't want to get my dd who will be turning 16 on Jan. 15th one until she is 16 so that it can go for 10 years and not 5. Maybe I'll get one for dh and son, but not the younger ones - 13, 11, 8 yo twins.

What do you think?

I would save the money. That is my plan. I have my passport,but my MIL and Niece will be traveling with us and they don't. I'm going to tell them not to get it. This will be their 1st cruise, what if they hate it. I say why spend the money if they don't need it. JMO

What do you think?

I think you'll be sorry if they strongly enforce the 1 January 2008 date and your younger children are not allowed to board the ship and you all lose our vacation. Is it worth that to you?

Or worse, if they do let you board the ship, but at some random port of call that officials from some foreign country say that without a passport your children cannot reenter the pier area to reboard the ship. (In St Lucia, last week they were requiring photo ID to reenter the pier zone and I overheard that once the rules change, you will have to have a PP to reenter the pier zone).

Since they've change the rules several times in the last 18 months, they might change them again. And once the rules change, they do not give exemptions for people who applied too late. Many people have already had to lose the vacation plans when flying internationally. Whenever the rules become hard and fast, you an bet that a lot of people will lose their cruise vacation plans. Do you want to be one of them?

Of course, I don't want to be one of them, but a posponement is not a change in rules, is it? Sigh...we'll have to think more about this. I plan on taking my soon to be 16 yo to Europe at least once in the next two years. My oldest dd's passport expires next summer, so I guess she needs a new one too. She's going to Mexico the end of this month and the Ukraine in July. Hope she's okay too! Yikes!

Of course, I don't want to be one of them, but a posponement is not a change in rules, is it? Sigh...we'll have to think more about this. I plan on taking my soon to be 16 yo to Europe at least once in the next two years. My oldest dd's passport expires next summer, so I guess she needs a new one too. She's going to Mexico the end of this month and the Ukraine in July. Hope she's okay too! Yikes!

Okay, right now the turn-around time is around 14-16 weeks. I would make sure to regularly check http://www.travel.state.gov and keep up with the current rules. If the backlog at the State Dept for PP gets whittled down, they may cancel the postponement and return to the 1 January 2008 rule. I would pay close attention until 16 weeks before (roughly Sept 1) and if there is any doubt, get the PP. If the rules look stable with the extension then you might be able to risk not getting them.

That's a good plan, Snoopy. Thanks! I know you are up late too as you are in Laurel and we are also in MD, up the road in Ellicott City!;)

Unfortunately, I am my mother's true son...an insomniac. I can rarely fall asleep before about 2-3 AM. Fortunately, I only really need about 5-6 hrs of sleep per night. Good luck. I really hope that you don't need the PP's but I have to say that with my luck (and Mr. Murphy's rules) I always prepare for the worst for things like that. I hate the stress of worrying whether I really need them or not, so I get them.

Archived