Liquid Restrictions - HELP

lasharon

HELP !!! I'm flying for the first time since the "liquid" restrictions in carry- on luggage. What do you do with stuff - hairspray, mousse, make-up, deodorant, etc ??? Do you pack it in a piece of luggage that is checked in ??? What does one carry in their carry-on ?? In the past I carried all my personal "maintenance" stuff in a carry-on.

HELP !!! I'm flying for the first time since the "liquid" restrictions in carry- on luggage. What do you do with stuff - hairspray, mousse, make-up, deodorant, etc ??? Do you pack it in a piece of luggage that is checked in ??? What does one carry in their carry-on ?? In the past I carried all my personal "maintenance" stuff in a carry-on.

Yes, you put all of that stuff in your checked luggage. I had my make up in my carryon because none of it is liquid and had no trouble at all. The one thing I saw alot of people having issues with was thinking that if they had something that was more than the allowed amount but was only half full they'd only consider the remaining contents as a mesaurement. If the container says 4fl oz then thats what they go by. The only reason I put my makeup in my carry on is it's Mary Kay and not easily replaced on vacation. All the other personal stuff could be replaced at a drug store if my luggage got lost :)

HELP !!! What does one carry in their carry-on ?? In the past I carried all my personal "maintenance" stuff in a carry-on.

I forgot to reply to that question in my last response.... What we carry in our carry ons typically is medications, digital camera, things of value or breakables that we don't want to risk checking. I usually bring a book or magazine and always gum :) Some people don't check any luggage so I'd imagine they bring everything they normally pack for a trip and then buy their personal care items at a drugstore?

Some people don't check any luggage so I'd imagine they bring everything they normally pack for a trip and then buy their personal care items at a drugstore?
For a short trip, you can usually carry on everything that you actually need.

For example, an experiment I did a couple of months back: One 50 ml (1.6 fl oz) tube of toothpaste lasted me over two weeks. And scaling up, one 100 ml bottle of shower gel would last almost two weeks.

Another note: We have seen people with Zip-locs larger than 1 quart being told they must use the quart size only. Even though the contents of the bag fit in a quart size.

There was a table set up where passengers could drop off excess items (bottles of water, cans of soda, etc.) and TSA had quart size bags to exchange for anyone with a larger bag.

If that exchange table is not available at your airport it could present a problem. So, make sure the bag you use for carryon is not larger than a quart.

Charlie

Before you dump your liquids if you don't see anyone with quart sized bags just ask the TSA. There were several at both airports that had them in their back pocket and would pull them out and hand them to people who were going to dump their liquids. Sunscreens and perfume seem to be items people don't think twice about until they get into the security line.

We travel via airline more or less 6 times a year. I have a quart size zip lock bag that I keep in my make up bag- I keep in it at all times- small travel size shampoo, cream rinse, toothpaste, hand lotion, travel size deoderant, sample size of my face cream, and other "sample" size eye cream & ect. - when I get ready to travel- I put my mascara, liquid founation, lipstick, and anything else that could be classified as "liquid or jell" in that zip lock- and put it in an outside pouch of my carry on bag.

The thing to remember- is no container over 4oz.- and they don't fit well anyway.

Then when going through secuity- I pull out my lap top- pull out my "zip bag"- pull off my shoes, coat- and sail right through. I do not draw attention to myself- just act like I am taking care of business. Have not had any trouble with TSA.

If it is a longer trip than 2 weeks- I will put larger containers in my check luggage- or buy when I get there.

Before I start packing my carry on- I do go through every pouch and zipper to be sure that there is not a water bottle I forgot or a tube of lip gloss or sharp objects-anything I may have thrown in from another trip.

It is really not a huge deal- everyone is in line with you- and preparation to detail before you go- you will do just great- have a good trip.

rlb

Before I start packing my carry on- I do go through every pouch and zipper to be sure that there is not a water bottle I forgot or a tube of lip gloss or sharp objects-anything I may have thrown in from another trip.

rlb

Yes, this is a good idea. My DH packed his fanny pack on our last trip to the Grand Canyon area, not checking it out at home. We about died when the TSA guard, called him over and found his huge Swiss Army knife! He certainly gained a lot of attention! Will be on his next birthday list. A costly and embarrasing error!:rolleyes:

I fly every two weeks or so and am always very careful about my luggage (I fly employee standby so I can't check baggage). On those trips, I can usually pack clothes for up to 4 days, toiletries, reading material, and sometimes my laptop. I use refillable travel bottles that I bought at Walmart for my own shampoo/conditioner. Also sometimes I use a shampoo bar. You can get them from a company called Lush (search google). They look like soap bars but are shampoo and are excellent!! I use one for hard water and my new favorite is a combo bar with built in conditioner.

Last week when I going to New Orleans, I had packed a small, sealed, new can of cake frosting in my bag - don't ask, lol. Imagine my surprise when they confiscated it! The guy made a joke about taking it to the breakroom for himself. Funny, it didn't seem like he was joking at all. :p

Archived