How many of you use TSA locks? Is it worth it?

Are we there yet?

I have used cable ties for years and have had absolutely no problems. You can now carry, either in your purse or carryon, the large nail clippers (used for toes) which make it even easier to cut the cable ties.

I also keep about 10 extra cable ties in my carryon just in case they do inspect my bag. Should that happen, and there is no cable tie on the bag when I retrieve it from the baggage carousel, I just put another one on and clip off the ends. Extremely easy and you can buy a bag of 100 ties for a couple of dollars at any Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

What's also nice is that you can use the cable ties to lock your suitcases in your hotel room while you are out.

Kathy

Zip ties/electricians ties in bright colors available at any Home Depot, WalMart, Lowes or numerous other places are just as effective. I have only had one suitcase opened since then. And TSA left a nice little note. I knew IMMEDIATELY that someone had been in my luggage. My zip ties are florescent green or pink. The tie was replaced with a gray one.

Don't waste your money on TSA locks. IF a baggage handler REALLY wants into your luggage, they will destroy your luggage if needed.

Found the ties (less than $3 for 100, in 5 BRIGHT colors), thanks for the tip. When they went into your luggage, they replaced the tie? I really like that. :)

When they went into your luggage, they replaced the tie? I really like that. :)
They're supposed to replace it. But often they don't and just leave your bag open.

Just like they're supposed to unlock the TSA-compatible locks. But often they don't and just cut them off.

On our cruise back in January we never used the TSA locks I had them the only time I used them was at the hotel pre-cruise as I knew once we board the bus to the port we were not going to see our bags until on board ship.

I never pack anything valueable in the suitecases jewelry, camera's etc. go in our hand luggage. We had no problems everything was in the suitecases going and coming home.

I had read on cruise critics were the TSA locks were being cut off as official were to lazy to use the keys.

Christine

We had TSA locks that showed if our lock was opened. They had a long shackle and we had a couple of mangled locks (bent and jammed shackles) and broken zipper pulls. We have since bought Samsonite TSA locks that also show if a lock was opened but have a shorter shackle and haven't had a problem since.

An FBI lock expert told me years ago. Lock keep honest people honest. Which is to say if you are going to get hit, no lock will slow them down. With all the soft side today, a quick knife slit and they'll get what they want anyway.

I've used the TSA locks on the main compartment, with zip ties for the non valuable compartments. Never had a problem. TSA has opened and left their note "you've been searched" doesn't bother me. Having been posted in the mid east pre 9/11, the more security the better.

Archived