How many of you use TSA locks? Is it worth it?

Are we there yet?

Just wondering if I should buy these or just what I can get at local hardware store? Read on "Magellan's" website (under reviews) that they were cut off as well.

Is there a lock that you are not allowed to use? The ones that have a 3 number combination look like the easiest....no key to lose.

We started using the TSA approved locks a couple of years ago. We have had our bags opened a couple of times because the "red" dot was activated on our TSA lock and there was a paper in our bag from the TSA saying they opened it. I'm sure the use of locks have some importance, if not just peace of mind. If anyone wants in your bag, they'll get in.

The TSA seems to react differently everywhere we've been, so whether they will say something to you if you have a non-approved lock I don't know.

The TSA-approved locks are a U.S. thing ... abroad I do not believe the security forces would have the capability to open them. So, yes, overseas those locks may be cut off. We use the combination-style TSA locks and it appears our bags have never been opened and nothing has been disturbed.

I think they are good. Yes, we now use them when we check in our suitcases at the airport but the real reason we bought them is because we wanted to have them locked when we check our suitcases in at the cruise ship terminal and when we leave them outside the room on the last night. We have just heard of too many problems. And, many cruise lines actually encourage their use. Yes, someone could still cut them open but if someone had a choice of cutting it open or just opening up a suitcase without a lock I think they would go with the latter.

You can get them inexpensively at say Target or Home Depot. So, for something around $7.50 each I think it is a good investment.

Keith

Thank you for the answers, I very much appreciate it.

Another question though....can the baggage handlers get into the bags with these on?

After seeing some news shows about unscrupulous handlers, I don't want them being able to get in. Or does it matter......if they want in they will anyway?

Just wondering if I should buy these or just what I can get at local hardware store? Read on "Magellan's" website (under reviews) that they were cut off as well.

Is there a lock that you are not allowed to use? The ones that have a 3 number combination look like the easiest....no key to lose.

Don't waste your money. TSA locks are SUPPOSED to be opened with a key or combination. However, if your bag needs to be opened and the supervisor who has the key is on break or the TSA employee is lazy, or, or, or (you name the scenario), your locks WILL be cut off.

I am a very frequent flier (over 100,000 miles per year). Purchased TSA locks in 2002. Purchased three sets-because they were all cut off. Gave up. Zip ties/electricians ties in bright colors available at any Home Depot, WalMart, Lowes or numerous other places are just as effective. I have only had one suitcase opened since then. And TSA left a nice little note. I knew IMMEDIATELY that someone had been in my luggage. My zip ties are florescent green or pink. The tie was replaced with a gray one.

Don't waste your money on TSA locks. IF a baggage handler REALLY wants into your luggage, they will destroy your luggage if needed.

Though I have lost a few TSA locks to the bolt-cutter, I'm a fan of them for a couple of reasons: 1) Like a cable-tie, it deters a quick crime of opportunity. 2) Unlike the cable tie, I can get into it without having to find my nail clippers. 3) Also unlike, it requires more effort for the casual thief - bolt cutters rather than a nail clipper or scissors.

If a thief really wants your stuff, they can get it. Just like breaking into your house if they really want to. But cutting open the suitcase itself is a blatant symbol that a crime has been committed and draws attention. Same with bolt-cutters. And for the ones lopped off by the TSA, I just consider that one of the prices of travel today.

Not that my opinion is better than others, like a lot of things, people see this question through their own priorities. Apply your own and you'll find your answer.

As usual, I agree with FlyerTalker 100%.

If someone wants to get into your bags, they will. But, as I mentioned earlier if there is a choice between a bag with a lock and one without a lock it is more likely that the person will go after the one without a lock.

And, I think one of the major advantages of the locks is from the time you drop off your bags in the port and they are brought to your stateroom and at the end of your trip from the time the luggage is taken on the night before disembarkation to the time you fiind it on the pier. In fact, that is why we started to use the locks in the first place. And the cruise line encourages this.

The bottom line is that the locks cost something like $7.50 each. For that price I am happy to buy and use them and if for some reason someone cuts one open I'll buy another. If it deters just one theft it is worth the price.

Keith

OK guys, now I am really going to lock my bags after reading all this, lol!

No, really I was going to lock them anyway, but wasn't sure which lock was the best way to go. Now I am thinking I will use the TSA, and the zip ties, and will see what happens after we get there.

Do people actually travel without locking their luggage? A little foolhardy don't you think?

Thanks again everyone, and I think I will buy some extra to take just in case they do decide to cut them off.

3) Also unlike, it requires more effort for the casual thief - bolt cutters rather than a nail clipper or scissors.

I know you fly a lot. Bolt cutters next to the TSA carousel at every airport I frequent-LAX, PHX, JFK, LGA, DFW, and MCI. Readily available to all who have passes to get into the area. Imagine how many bolt cutters are behind the scenes.

One reason I use curbside check in-the TSA person is right there and I know if my luggage is going to get checked. Much better than leaving it at the TSA carousel with all the other bags.

If you have to worry about the people on the ship getting into your luggage- pretty sad state of affairs. A lot of those same people are the ones in your cabin day in and day out and almost all shipboard employees can gain access to any cabin IF they want to.

Longshoreman in port-could be questionable, but doubtful. At over $35.00 per hour for a union longshoreman's job + all the benefits, most wouldn't take the chance of loosing their cushy jobs just to break into luggage.

I'll save my money and all the time it takes to replace the locks.

ere.

Do people actually travel without locking their luggage? A little foolhardy don't you think?

Thanks again everyone, and I think I will buy some extra to take just in case they do decide to cut them off.

Yes, I have had to check my roller carryon more than once and no locks, no zip ties. Over a million AA flown miles in the last 8 years and no one has every "broken" into my luggage and stolen anything. Lucky??? Maybe. But ANYTHING valuable goes with me-cameras, cell phone, laptop, medicines, etc. They can have my clothes-I could use new ones anyhow.

Yes, I have had to check my roller carryon more than once and no locks, no zip ties. Over a million AA flown miles in the last 8 years and no one has every "broken" into my luggage and stolen anything. Lucky??? Maybe. But ANYTHING valuable goes with me-cameras, cell phone, laptop, medicines, etc. They can have my clothes-I could use new ones anyhow.

greatam, I hope you don't think I was insulting you.....zip ties are like locking your luggage as far as I'm concerned. I was thinking of the people that use nothing. Do you mind if I ask why you had to check your roller carryon? Was it too big or too heavy? I guess you have been lucky, and I agree.....everything I have of value will go with me also.

Isn't it too bad we have to think about such things.....I detest thieves!

greatam, I hope you don't think I was insulting you.....zip ties are like locking your luggage as far as I'm concerned. I was thinking of the people that use nothing. Do you mind if I ask why you had to check your roller carryon? Was it too big or too heavy? I guess you have been lucky, and I agree.....everything I have of value will go with me also.

Isn't it too bad we have to think about such things.....I detest thieves!

My favorite roller carryon does not fit in the overhead on an AA 757. So have had to check it when there has been a change of aircraft and I unexpectantly end up on a 757.

And every once in a while, I forget to put all the "liquid stuff" in the checked luggage. So have to check the roller. And if it's my carryon roller, I very seldom lock it. So sometimes, I get "caught" with unlocked luggage.

I just plain don't worry about someone getting into my luggage. As I posted, I take the valuables on the plane. The rest is just clothes, maybe some liquid makeup and toothpaste. I have never had a problem EXCEPT TSA cutting off the locks. Zip ties are much cheaper, easy identification for the bag and I just leave the nail clipper in the outside pocket.

I have been using them since they have been available. I have never had them cut off and have used them on many flights.

Ditto. Exactly as Tarheelbelle said. We have used them since they have become available, on cruises and flights. I also agree that in the event, that small percentage that might consider vandalizing your luggage they will go for the easier one without the tsa lock. Does anyone know if there have been recent episodes of luggage vandalism? Havent heard any of that for a long time. Not sure there is any true value to the TSA.

The TSA-approved locks are a U.S. thing ... abroad I do not believe the security forces would have the capability to open them. So, yes, overseas those locks may be cut off.
This is very unlikely. Overseas, where thorough baggage inspections have been carried out for much longer than in the US, it is very rare for the inspectors to need to open a bag. If they do, they usually ask for the passenger to be taken to the bag to unlock it. It is extremely rare indeed that a baggage inspection will take place overseas that involves cutting locks off the bag, whether they're TSA locks or not.

In 30 years of regular flying all over the world, I have yet to have a lock cut off any bag of mine except in the US.

So the standard advice for travel everywhere except the US remains: lock your luggage with a sturdy lock of your choice.

I am a very frequent flier (over 100,000 miles per year). Purchased TSA locks in 2002. Purchased three sets-because they were all cut off. Gave up. Zip ties/electricians ties in bright colors available at any Home Depot, WalMart, Lowes or numerous other places are just as effective. I have only had one suitcase opened since then. And TSA left a nice little note. I knew IMMEDIATELY that someone had been in my luggage. My zip ties are florescent green or pink. The tie was replaced with a gray one.
For the few occasions when I have to fly from a US airport, I use zip ties as well - there is always a packet of them sitting in one of the outside pockets of my suitcase for these times.

The last time I flew from a US airport, the TSA inspection was being done in the check-in concourse. The inspector wanted to get into my bag before I'd left the area, which was lucky. He didn't have any implement for undoing the "lock" on the baggage strap - merely a rotating device that you can turn with a "key" or anything else that you can insert into the slot. So I was able to give him my actual key to do it. He cut the cable tie off - no problem.

When he'd finished, he had a notice that he put inside. But guess what: He had no cable ties. I had to show him where my cable ties were, so that he could use another one of mine to tie the bag up again. He was a great and very friendly guy and happy to work with me to do all this. But it was shocking to see at first hand how this most simple of measures, which the TSA promise to do, is just ignored because the inspectors aren't issued with (enough) cable ties.

Thus also for the TSA locks.

OK guys, now I am really going to lock my bags after reading all this, lol!

No, really I was going to lock them anyway, but wasn't sure which lock was the best way to go. Now I am thinking I will use the TSA, and the zip ties, and will see what happens after we get there.

We fly alot and always use the zip ties. Nothing else. If our luggage is checked they are replaced. No big deal. We have never had a problem. :)

Though I have lost a few TSA locks to the bolt-cutter, I'm a fan of them for a couple of reasons: 1) Like a cable-tie, it deters a quick crime of opportunity. 2) Unlike the cable tie, I can get into it without having to find my nail clippers. 3) Also unlike, it requires more effort for the casual thief - bolt cutters rather than a nail clipper or scissors.

This reminded me of our cruise a few weeks ago. In all honesty when I hand over my luggage at the airport I don't care if it gets opened and searched etc. I just pray it gets to where I need it to so I won't be left scrounging for new clothes. I don't carry anything of value in my suitcase and I'm probably a boring tourist as far as my suitcases go. With that being said we did use the cable locks before we dropped off our luggage at the port. We only did this because we had heard that you never leave your suitcases unlocked to or from the ship. Worked out great on the way over to the ship as I had the nail clippers in our carry on bag. Packed these same clippers in our regular luggage before placing it in the hallway for pick up. We got to the hotel the day we got off the ship and I realized I had no way to open any of our bags. The front desk at the hotel was great they let me borrow a huge pair of office scissors that were chained to the desk. Not ideal for cutting open those ties but eventually I was able to get them all off. So lesson learned if you use the ties do NOT pack your clippers in your checked luggage lol

If using the zip ties for your bags, where do you keep the nail clipper to cut them? I'm assuming that nail clippers cannot be carried on the plane in your pocket.

Thanks Nancy

We had a small pair in our carry on and had no problems at all. They were the type that did not have the nail file attatched to them. Another idea is to place them in the zipper compartment on the front of your suitcase (unless of course you lock this area too). This is where we place a copy of our itinary sealed in a ziplock bag so we leave ours open.

Some interesting and useful reading if anyone is interested.

http://www.travel-goods.org/articles/theft.asp

http://www.kevincoffee.com/safety_tips_index.htm

According to this site (TSA) you are allowed to carry your nail clippers onto the plane, so I would keep them in my handbag.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

If a thief really wants your stuff, they can get it. Just like breaking into your house if they really want to. But cutting open the suitcase itself is a blatant symbol that a crime has been committed and draws attention. Same with bolt-cutters. And for the ones lopped off by the TSA, I just consider that one of the prices of travel today.

Not that my opinion is better than others, like a lot of things, people see this question through their own priorities. Apply your own and you'll find your answer.

What he said.

I use them for the most part if I need to check luggage. If the airports are large enough I'll get them screened by the TSA in my presence. If they need to see inside them they let me know. If not they put a sticker on the luggage tag that says it has been inspected and the guys behind the scenes shouldn't open the bag. I've flown many times using this procedure from the larger airports but my home airport doesn't have this so I have TSA bag locks too. I got one strap at Safe Skies Locks online. The straps bought there have a guarantee and if the locks are cut off by the TSA and you can prove it (with the note in the case, broken lock etc) then they'll send you a new one gratis. I don't know how likely it is that you'll get all the bits necessary if it happens but it is a good backup.

The straps aren't a perfect solution but it certainly deters an opportunist, especially if there are easier pickings.

Archived