Differences between Carnival and HAL?

MaryAnnKacz

Have been on many Carnival cruises. Getting a little bored with Carnival, we know the routine too well. Booked Westerdaam for December. Looking for something different and I thought HAL might be it. The things we don't like about Carnival are lack of cruise director's involvement on the ship. At least on the ships we have been on. Never saw them, except at the shows. Not being able to get a chair on the lido deck by pool, unless you get there early. Ships seemed overcrowded. Hard to walk down promenade without your heels getting stepped on. Announcements constantly. Lack of luxury. Is it true HAL's ships are built more like a traditional ocean liner? We always thought we could only afford Carnival, but HAL and Princess are offering comparable prices. RCI seems to gone up in price. We did take one RCI and really enjoyed. We reserved a large inside stateroom on the Westerdaam. Do these cabins have a refrigerator or a tub? I know the more expensive cabins do. For those that have cruised both, why do you prefer one over the other? Also, I have heard HAL's passengers are usually a little older. Does this mean the disco will be dead everynight!

I'll start at the end. The disco may or may not be dead. It all depends on the dynamics onboard. The night life is not as varied and usually things get quiet around midnight.

You may or may not be able to get a chair by the main pool. Cruise ships are all the same when it comes to chair hogs. If it's crowded, just move to the aft pool.

HAL ships rarely feel crowded. Announcements a substantially fewer than on Carnival.

Daytime activities are quieter than on Carnival and there are no opportunities to win a ship on a stick. :)

I believe your cabin will have a refrigerator and if I a mistaken, someone will chime in. Some of the inside cabins have tubs and some do not. Do you have a cabin number yet?

Can you tell us what you expect from a cruise director. Most are involved with the evening entertainment and rarely get hands on, during the day.

I think the ambiance is more upscale than on Carnival ....a quiet elegance relative to mass marketed cruise lines. Food is so subjective, it's hardly not worth mentioning. There is more variety in the LIDO, on HAL. The beds are wonderful. Most who sail HAL again and again, do so because of the crew.

I hope this helps you decide if HAL is a good fit.

We've also done Carnival cruises--then tried HAL. HAL offers so much more in the area of service, elegance and class. HAL ships are more quiet, there's very little night life in comparison to Carnival. Just a whole different kind of cruising experience. Dining room experience is much more refined--beautiful food presentation, service with attention to details.

If you want an "involved" CD, then HAL may not be your choice IF that means you want lots of activities--Carnival has lots more of that kind of thing by the pool, etc. That doesn't mean HAL doesn't have things to do on board, but usually not the "hairy chest" contest variety.

I've sailed both lines, so I'll try to answer your questions.

On both of my Carnival cruises, I thought the CD was very out there and involved. Personally, I could care less about the CD...but from reading these boards I understand that's an important part of the cruise experience. As previous posters have pointed out, you may be disappointed in HAL with respect to the CD.

I've not been on the Vista class ships, but I've never had a tub or a refrigerator in any of my HAL inside cabins. I don't care for the tubs. I'm rather broad in the beam :D , and I find the tub uncomfortable to sit in.

I like HAL, but not for the things you see to be looking for.

On my last cruise, the Crow's Nest was pretty busy until 1-2 am. There weren't a lot of people, but we had a great time.

Roz

According to my TA's conversation with HAL yesterday, the smallest category cabin where you are guaranteed a tub is an HH (outside, fully obstructed view). This information was about the Westerdam. I saw no inside cabins on the deck plans with tubs. But then again, my vision isn't what it used to be before I started scanning deck plans 24/7 LOL.

Our cabin is 1062. I guess we really don't expect too much from a cruise director. Best we had was on RCI Grandeur. She was everywhere on the ship day and night, talking to people. As far as night life, about 1/2 of the Carnival cruises were empty by midnight also. The beds are better than Carnival? We loved the beds on Carnival, so comfortable. Didn't like the beds on RCI, felt like sleeping on cots. I think we are going to love HAL. Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Our cruise on the Zuiderdam was the best cruise and ship we have been on so far....we did not care for the Conquest and will not do Carnival again....we are much younger acting than our age and love the night life and disco's on ships and found that the Zui had as much as we could ever want...danced every night until wee hours...so did a lot of other folks.....don't think that the service and elegance can be beat...not by any ship in the mass market range.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have a feeling we will not want to go back to Carnival after HAL either. We would also like to try Princess in the future. Our 7 year old daughter will be with us on this cruise. I know Club Hal closes at midnight. I e-mailed HAL to see if in cabin babysitting was available on Westerdaam. The one good thing about Carnival is they have babysitting available in Camp Carnival until 3:00 am. I don't think everynight will be a late night for us, but it would be nice to have the option. On Carnival ships, the only place children are not allowed is in the Disco after 10:00. I am assuming we could bring our daughter to the area that has a band and ball room type dancing on HAL? She would love that.

On Carnival ships, the only place children are not allowed is in the Disco after 10:00. I am assuming we could bring our daughter to the area that has a band and ball room type dancing on HAL? She would love that.

The areas that have music also have bars and dancing and as such, are appropriate venues for adults. Most passengers do not appreciate it when children, especially young children, are in these areas, especially as the evening progresses.

Your cabin is a J-category quad on Main Deck. As such it will have a shower only, refrig, and a significant amount of room compared to other insides (including J-cats on another deck). It is well located in terms of smooth ride and quiet from public rooms above. It's very convenient to the Front Desk should you have a need to do business there, and a comfortable open lounge area. It's also very convenient to the mid-ship and glass elevators.

Yes, I see your point about children being in these areas. We would one day like to take a cruise alone. This will be our daughter's 8th cruise. Quite a few for only being 7. But I do have to say she is a very good little cruiser. Very well behaved on cruises. Also, I'm glad to hear we got a larger cabin and a good location.

Archived