NCL RCI, or Princess?

Lifesaver123

Last year my family took a cruise on RCI's Mariner of the seas, and we loved it. Next year we are planning on taking another cruise with friends, but are considering cruising with someone else. NCL, RCI, and Princess are the three cruise lines we are looking at most. Any preferances, or opinions?

Thanks, Rylee:)

Here is a link to a thread about a family considering the Sun. It has some good information on what to expect with the Freestyle Experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=577722

The Sun is actually one of NCL's smaller ships. The Dawn, Star, Spirit, Pearl, Gem, Jewel, POH/soon to be Jade, and Pride of America are all larger than the Sun.

Please ask us if you have specific questions you need answered.

No other cruise line has Freestyle and the freedoms of choice in dinning, dress and tipping that that brings. Princess has the Personal Choice program which is similar but not exactly the same

We too cruised on the Mariner of the Seas with our 3 teens/pre-teens. We loved the ice skating, but the kids didnt like the youth programs. They had to wait forever for the chance to climb the rock wall. The food was average, but we did like Johnny Rockets. The promeande was very nice. We had a junior suite with a D1 balcony to hold 6 people and felt comfortable.

We cruise Princess alot- great ships, food, service; and we love their mini suites, spacious. Youth programs are ok. Great itineraries. Pricing is reasonable. They have Anytime dining as well as traditional.

That being said, for a family, we love NCL. Freestyle cruising is awesome. The kids (only one at home now) loved the youth programs and would chose NCL over the other lines. THe cabins are a little bit smaller until you get to the suites, but well designed for maximum storage.

What are you looking for in a cruise most...price, itineraries, food, youth programs, cabin layout, extras (rock walls,etc)?

After RCL big ones you'll be dispointed with anything less. I'd stick with the NCL big ones. The Pearl has the bowling/rock wall which should keep you occupied but no big mardi gra parade down the middle of it! Princess might be too laid back coming off RCL. NCL Pearl has great resturant choices with many of the speciality ones still free (I say still as of last week but could change anytime without notice). Really it's a flip of the coin if you stay with the big ones so look at other factors like where it goes and price.

I have not done RCL but we did do the Princess personal choice on the Dawn. We then went with freestyle on the Sun. Both ships were very comparable in size and dining experience. The food on both was very good. We did have a couple minor customer service issues on both. They did change our bedding everyday on Princess on the NCL ship they did not. I personally would go by price as Princess and NCL are very comparable.

FB

My wife and I sailed on Pride of America August 26th, 2006. Although it was our first NCL cruise, we have cruised 6 times previously with RCCL and Carnival. We chose NCL due to the fact that they are the only cruise line serving Hawaii.

In comparison to RCCL and Carnival, we were extremely disappointed with our NCL experience. Prior to this cruise, I had never previously filed a complaint on any cruise - but on this cruise, we complained constantly - and for good reason. Our cabin steward never revealed himself (or herself) during the whole cruise (if we even had one). Our cabin was was only cleaned twice during the entire week - even though we complained daily - most of our complaints were ignored. We constantly had to request supplies, such as clean towels, bathroom tissue, etc. and as often as not, I ended up going down to the purser's desk and retrieved my own after my repeated requests were ignored.

Freestyle dining simply did not work - at least not on this ship. We always waited at least one hour and on some nights, over two hours, just to be seated. And then, service was excruciatingly slow and the food was only marginal at best. The result was - no time for dancing, entertainment, or other evening activities. On one night, they gave us a pager and it went off about about 45 minutes later just as they said it would, but then, after returning with the blinking pager, thinking we would be seated promptly, we still waited more than another hour before being seated! I suppose they give out the pagers so you will know when to come and begin your wait! Interestingly, when the young lady handed me the pager, she said "...The pager only works while you're on the ship..." - the only thing was - at the time, WE WERE AT SEA! I responded, "darn, you mean I can't take my evening swim off the back of the ship."

Hawaii, on the other hand was great. Excursions were well done and very interesting. Since it was our first time to see the islands, and since we have always had such wonderful cruise experiences on other cruise lines, cruising seemed like the logical choice for seeing multiple islands. If we had it to over again, we would investigate other options before going on another NCL cruise.

NCL entertainment was one of their better points, but still at least a couple of stars below either RCCL or Carnival.

Overall, there simply is no comparison between NCL and and RCCL or Carnival - RCCL and Carnival are light-years ahead. Since most of the NCL crew are American, it's sad to say, but many of them need attitude adjustments and basically just "don't seem to give a damn." I would hope that our experience with NCL was was an isolated case, but I don't think we'll be giving them a second chance to find out. If someone offered us a free NCL cruise, we'd have to think real hard about whether we'd rather spend our precious vacation time on NCL for free or pay to have a much better experience on another line - I've had enough time to think - I'll pay!

My wife and I sailed on Pride of America August 26th, 2006. Although it was our first NCL cruise, we have cruised 6 times previously with RCCL and Carnival. We chose NCL due to the fact that they are the only cruise line serving Hawaii.

In comparison to RCCL and Carnival, we were extremely disappointed with our NCL experience. Prior to this cruise, I had never previously filed a complaint on any cruise - but on this cruise, we complained constantly - and for good reason. Our cabin steward never revealed himself (or herself) during the whole cruise (if we even had one). Our cabin was was only cleaned twice during the entire week - even though we complained daily - most of our complaints were ignored. We constantly had to request supplies, such as clean towels, bathroom tissue, etc. and as often as not, I ended up going down to the purser's desk and retrieved my own after my repeated requests were ignored.

Freestyle dining simply did not work - at least not on this ship. We always waited at least one hour and on some nights, over two hours, just to be seated. And then, service was excruciatingly slow and the food was only marginal at best. The result was - no time for dancing, entertainment, or other evening activities. On one night, they gave us a pager and it went off about about 45 minutes later just as they said it would, but then, after returning with the blinking pager, thinking we would be seated promptly, we still waited more than another hour before being seated! I suppose they give out the pagers so you will know when to come and begin your wait! Interestingly, when the young lady handed me the pager, she said "...The pager only works while you're on the ship..." - the only thing was - at the time, WE WERE AT SEA! I responded, "darn, you mean I can't take my evening swim off the back of the ship."

Hawaii, on the other hand was great. Excursions were well done and very interesting. Since it was our first time to see the islands, and since we have always had such wonderful cruise experiences on other cruise lines, cruising seemed like the logical choice for seeing multiple islands. If we had it to over again, we would investigate other options before going on another NCL cruise.

NCL entertainment was one of their better points, but still at least a couple of stars below either RCCL or Carnival.

Overall, there simply is no comparison between NCL and and RCCL or Carnival - RCCL and Carnival are light-years ahead. Since most of the NCL crew are American, it's sad to say, but many of them need attitude adjustments and basically just "don't seem to give a damn." I would hope that our experience with NCL was was an isolated case, but I don't think we'll be giving them a second chance to find out. If someone offered us a free NCL cruise, we'd have to think real hard about whether we'd rather spend our precious vacation time on NCL for free or pay to have a much better experience on another line - I've had enough time to think - I'll pay!

On how many threads do you intend to shoe-horn your rant? Suggest you learn the difference between NCL and NCLA before further mouthing off.

NCLA American crew----NCL international crew very different experience from what I have read.

MAC

I too, prefer Royal Caribbean and Princess over NCL. Some of the Princess ships (Caribbean Princess for example) have fresh water swimming pools, I prefer this over the salt water pools of the other lines. As far as the total cruise experience Royal Caribbean is hard to beat.

I haven't cruised on RCI but after cruising on Pride of Aloha last week, I would say that I have enjoyed my Princess cruises tremendously and didn't care for Pride of Aloha cruise (on NCLA and not NCL so that some people on this board don't get bent out of shape).

Last week on the Pearl the pool water was as fresh as it gets. No salt in those pools! What NCL ships use salt water? Seems I remember on the Princess Grand the outside pool was salt and the inside covered pool was fresh. The Pearl is not slipping. Great ship with great resturants(many still free) and overall great cruise experience with excellent excursions.

Last year my family took a cruise on RCI's Mariner of the seas, and we loved it. Next year we are planning on taking another cruise with friends, but are considering cruising with someone else. NCL, RCI, and Princess are the three cruise lines we are looking at most. Any preferances, or opinions?

Thanks, Rylee:)

The truth is you can have a great cruise with any of these cruiselines. Do your research - find an itinerary, a newer ship, and a cruising "style" that suits you.

NCL is the the most casual - so if you really like a more formal atmosphere, pick RCI or Princess but if you don't want to dress up - NCL may be for you.

If you like "traditional" dining and dressing up, stick with RCI or Princess but if you want to dine where and when you want, dressed in resort casual, choose NCL.

BTW Freestyle works exceptionally well on the NCL ships (and please note I said NCL NOT NCLA (where there are some problems with efficiency due to a more inexperienced crew.) Some of the people making negative comments have had NO experience with NCL Freestyle on NCL ships with their excellent international crews.

I love Freestyle cruising (and I had done 3 'traditional' cruises before I tried NCL and Freestyle) but not everyone does - so I cannot say for sure whether it will suit you - only you can determine that.

Read a lot of reviews of the ships you are considering and have a great cruise whatever line you pick!

Freestyle is nice if you are in a small group (couple or family of 4). We had 14 in our group, and it was kinda tough to freestyle it when we had to make reservations for each night so we had a large enough table. If it was just my wife and I, I would have liked it better since we could have gone and ate when we were hungry and not be limited to a 6 or 8pm sitting. But that is nice too because the staff go out of their way for you when it is just you and another table or two they are serving all week. They both have their pros and cons.

In comparison to RCCL and Carnival, we were extremely disappointed with our NCL experience.

Since most of the NCL crew are American, it's sad to say, but many of them need attitude adjustments and basically just "don't seem to give a damn." I would hope that our experience with NCL was was an isolated case, but I don't think we'll be giving them a second chance to find out. !

This statement is in error and needs corrected. Only the crews of NCL-A ships....the three "Pride of....." ships are American. That is because U.S. law requires that. On the other NCL ships, I have met very few, if any Americans on staff. (and those I did meet were either performers or Cruise Directors staff.)

I will admit that the service I got on the POA in 2004 was far below what I have received on the other NCL ships. Before discrediting the entire cruise line, give the international ships a try. Don't condemn the whole line just because of one cruise on their subsidary line that has been having problems. In addition, it appears that the Pride of Aloha is the only ship having problems like this. Reviews for the Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii are coming in very positive.

JRT described the differences exactly: Overall, there simply is no comparison between NCL and and RCCL or Carnival - RCCL and Carnival are light-years ahead.

Just to show different opinons, my mother absolutely hated her two cruises on Carnival. Her exact word were: "NCL is so much better, friendlier and fun than Carnival, that it is no comaparison." She called Carnival the "Cheapo" cruise line. (And she has been on Carnival, RCCL, HAL and NCL)

Last week on the Pearl the pool water was as fresh as it gets. No salt in those pools! What NCL ships use salt water? Seems I remember on the Princess Grand the outside pool was salt and the inside covered pool was fresh. The Pearl is not slipping. Great ship with great resturants(many still free) and overall great cruise experience with excellent excursions.

All Princess pools including Grand's have fresh water.

If you like "traditional" dining and dressing up, stick with RCI or Princess but if you want to dine where and when you want, dressed in resort casual, choose NCL.

On the Princess ships that I have been on, they have offered both Traditional and AnyTime dining. Certain dining rooms are only for Traditional dining and usually 1 or 2 are for any time.

Thank you Keystone Cruiser for your elegant way of correcting the misstatement about NCL vs. NCLA. I feel bad for the OP who was slammed by Hotspur. I think we all need to be reminded that there is a "nice" way to speak to each other. There's no need for badmouthing each other!:(

I think you need to cruise NCL before you can judge the three. NCLA isn't NCL, I don't know how this can be explained. They are not the same with the exception of alternative dining options. You mention crew being American, practically none of NCLs crew is American.

Go Royal Caribbean or Princess. NCL is slipping.
Actually as a TA and a frequent cruiser I think NCL has improved as do many of my clients. Can you explain what you mean by slipping?

My own opinion, all 3 lines fit about in the middle of mass marketed cruise lines. Each offers something the other does not, from NCls freestyle, to Carnival's bigger cabins and RCIs activities.

Nita

The Sun, Spirit, and Dawn all have salt in their pools.

yes, you are right but it is important to understand what is happening. Most of the lines, NCL being one now offer fresh water on their newer ships. There was a time when Princess was the only line to offer fresh water I think, unless Disney did as well. As for the salt water pools, the salt is so slight and the filtering system so good it really shouldn't bother anyone. We are not talking about the ships like commodore lines, years ago that had pools that were nothing more than holes in the cement filled with water from the ocean.

Archived