things in mexico to buy

majosa

Probably at Los Cinco Soles on Cozumel. http://www.loscincosoles.com/home.htm

Thank you very much for the link!! We are looking at crusing in April to Cozumel. I wasn't too sure there would be anything I would be interested in buying...

Vanilla--- Talavera pottery.. very nice!! Anything else for a shopper to long for??

Anyone have any problems getting pottery or glass back safely??

Does anyone know which ports they sell Mexican talavera? My mom collects it religiously and I would love to get her something while I'm there.

most of what's sold in the yucatan is talavera-like ... geniue pieces are a bit harder to come by and usually small items. Least that's been my experience.

Firsttime. Try eating at Pancho's Backyard in back of the store. Pretty courtyard restaurant with great food and margauritas. I've been very confident in the authenticity of the Telavara in Merida. I do land vacations there every year. However, I admit to not being an expert. Of course street merchants in NYC sell Rolex watches at a bargain.

We had someone bring us a bottle of Mexican Vanilla (labelled as such) but it was definitely not good and not real vanilla. I tried it a few times and finally threw it out when I realized it was the Coumarin stuff. Nowhere on the label did it say that - it just said Vanilla on it. I wish I knew a reputable brand to get some real Mexican Vanilla since I love anything wiht real vanilla in it.

For those of you looking to shop, I bought some really nice silver jewelry at Los Cincos Soles - around $5 for bracelets and $10 for 18" necklaces.

vacruiser. Mexican vanilla is about twice as strong as what we buy in the states. So like Cotton mentioned you may get bad results if you don't reduce the amount you use. I guess it just depends on what you're making, but my french toast with mexican vanilla is great and I reduce the amount some. WOW! What aroma. How did you determine that it had the coumarin?

vacruiser. Mexican vanilla is about twice as strong as what we buy in the states. So like Cotton mentioned you may get bad results if you don't reduce the amount you use. I guess it just depends on what you're making, but my french toast with mexican vanilla is great and I reduce the amount some. WOW! What aroma. How did you determine that it had the coumarin?

The flavor and smell were just "off." We did some research and discovered that the brand was one known for being made with Tonka beans (I don't remember what brand it was.) I'm a huge fan of anything flavored with natural vanilla so strength wasn't an issue - I use a double strength Madagascar when I bake. I just kept hearing about how good Mexican Vanilla was and thinking that what I had didn't even smell like vanilla to me - or really add much flavor. I even tried it in coffee. I think it was my mom that saw something on the Food Network about it and that was when I looked it up and pitched the bottle. I'd still really like to find some of the real stuff in Mexico.

If you do a bit of research on coumarin I think you'll find that that it's found in several fruits and other foods you consume and think nothing of it since you are not aware it is there. Try strawberries, apricots, cherries, licorice and cinnamon. Yes, in high doses it can thin the blood.

Coumadin is actually a brand name for warfarin, a product many of us know as rat poison. Warfarin is a synthetic derivative of coumarin.

So I guess if you eat way too many strawberries apricots or cherries or suck the life out of too many licorice sticks in a day you could get the same amount of coumarin in your system as a quart or two of chugged Mexican vanilla that contains coumarin.

You people are getting way too up tight about the amount of coumarin that could be laced in Mexican vanilla.

Personally, I'd rather be thinning my blood with coumarin included in the vanilla used to make my morning muffin or tasty chocolate chip cookie than swallowing coumadin which is used to make rat poison.;)

Dianne

Here is what I like to buy:

Mexican Vanilla

Silver & turquoise

San Antonino dresses

I hear that some people buy Cuban cigars! :eek:

We have purchased Talevera pottery in Delores Hidalgo, but that is not on the coast. Of course, you can purchase it in Spain, too.

If you do a bit of research on coumarin I think you'll find that that it's found in several fruits and other foods you consume and think nothing of it since you are not aware it is there. Try strawberries, apricots, cherries, licorice and cinnamon. Yes, in high doses it can thin the blood.

Coumadin is actually a brand name for warfarin, a product many of us know as rat poison. Warfarin is a synthetic derivative of coumarin.

So I guess if you eat way too many strawberries apricots or cherries or suck the life out of too many licorice sticks in a day you could get the same amount of coumarin in your system as a quart or two of chugged Mexican vanilla that contains coumarin.

You people are getting way too up tight about the amount of coumarin that could be laced in Mexican vanilla.

Personally, I'd rather be thinning my blood with coumarin included in the vanilla used to make my morning muffin or tasty chocolate chip cookie than swallowing coumadin which is used to make rat poison.;)

Dianne

Yes, you do have a point. Moderation is key, I think. I imagine 1 teaspoon probably would not be any worse than taking a 325 mg asa. However, for someone already with health problems or on blood thinners, it could be a problem. I guess it is something to be cautious of. By the way, I used to work in a little grocery store years ago. In AR you can't buy alcohol on Sundays. We had a wife who made me promise not to sell her hubby vanilla or Dr. tichenor's mouthwash on Sundays:D

well, I mentioned it back when we were still talking about tequila, but now that the thread has turned to vanilla, I'll mention it again...

Azteca

It's a brown bottle with a brown & gold foil label. It does not contain coumarin. Has a wonderful aroma, measures the same as regular vanilla (least I've never altered the measurements I use), and it imparts a wonderful flavor to your baked goods that can not be replicated with regular ol off the shelf grocery store vanilla. Cost is about $8US for a large bottle but it comes in smaller sizes as well. It's available in just about every souvenir shop. I've bought other brands that were good too, but this one is my go-to bottle. I've been using it for at least 10 years.

If you have a stop in Progress, wait until you get there for some of the souveniers. A friend wanted a sombrero for her son, they wanted 30 for the felt ones & 18 for the wicker ones in Cozumel. Found them in Progress of 18 for the felt ones, 7 for the wicker ones.

I bought a bank for my daughter in Cozumel for 12. Found the exact same one in Progresso for 8.

I agree with the Progresso tip, but you can also bargain a little more. I have heard prices ranging from $3 to $7 for the "wicker" sombreros. We paid $13 for one of those hanging hammocks, which we love. You can get a better deal if you buy two, then give one as a gift. Also, you can get liters of "cane liquor" for $1 (that's right) to bring back to your friends. Otherwise, the mezcal was also very inexpensive.

well, I mentioned it back when we were still talking about tequila, but now that the thread has turned to vanilla, I'll mention it again...

Azteca

It's a brown bottle with a brown & gold foil label. It does not contain coumarin. Has a wonderful aroma, measures the same as regular vanilla (least I've never altered the measurements I use), and it imparts a wonderful flavor to your baked goods that can not be replicated with regular ol off the shelf grocery store vanilla. Cost is about $8US for a large bottle but it comes in smaller sizes as well. It's available in just about every souvenir shop. I've bought other brands that were good too, but this one is my go-to bottle. I've been using it for at least 10 years.

I have 2 bottles of Mexican vanilla. One is Azteca and one is Totonac's. The Azteca has more of a stronger vanilla aroma. Both bottles specifically state that they do not contain coumarin. Both are far better than what we can get here at our local grocery store. The bottle of Totonac's is 8.5 oz, the Azteca is 8.4 oz. but I do not see a price on either bottle.

I stopped buying for everyone after our first land vacation to Cozumel years ago but I still pick up a couple of the mexican blankets. They are cheap and easy to pack and they last forever. I have gotten my mother about 3 and she loves them. They make great souvenirs :)

Smashley. You can find alot of Talevera in Merida when porting in Progreso. Not sure you will find it in Progreso. Only 21 miles and well worth the trip.

Will be there soon... what is Talevera?

Archived