Need your help for london shuttle!

We are flying into Heathrow and will be staying in Central London (Mayfair). As we will probably have 5 bags between the 2 of us, we are opting out of the train route as we don't want to be lugging around all those bags for very long.

I found 2 companies that run shuttle vans from the airport to town as part of a shared ride with no more than 3 other people. The 2 companies are Hotelink shuttles and London Airport Hopper. If you have used either of these or can suggest some others, I would love your input. Thanks!:p

I used Hotelink last July from Heathrow to London and was pleased with the lower cost vs. a limo, but it did take some time to get to the hotel (in Marble Arch area). First was waiting for the van to get back from a previous run and getting all the people together. Then it took more than an hour to get into London and another 30 minutes before we reached my hotel because there were two stops before mine. Be sure to let them know how much luggage you have so they don't overbook! Because of the current exchange rate, a taxi or limo would cost more than I want to pay so, with luggage making the train difficult, a shared ride may be the best way to go.

Happy Cruising

Thanks for your input. We will be staying in fhe Marble Arch area, Marriott Grosvenor house. How long did you have to wait for the van to get there and how many people did they have to fill the van?

We used Hotelink last month from Heathrow. We had to wait about 20 minutes after checking in with the desk, but some people were already waiting. We had 10 (I think, I didn't count) people in our van, and unfortunately our's was the last stop. But we were in no hurry (we arrived at 10am) and it was interesting seeing the sights as we drove around central London. One of the passengers was a guy from Mexico City and he was cracking us up with jokes.:)

We'll be using it again in Oct. but from Gatwick. If you're in a hurry, a cab will probably be faster, but more expensive.

Dave

We don't arrive at Heathrow until 10:40 pm. Does Hotelink have a web site where you can pre-reserve the shuttle? Thanks for any help you can give. We are on the July 28 Grand Princess British Isles cruise but are staying a few days in London beforehand.

Regarding the heathrow express it is just $1 pound difference with the shuttle fare per person. And then you would have to add the cab fare. So it is not a savings to haul the luggage and keep it at hand on on the train.
The point of train+cab is not that it's cheap. It's that it's fast, at least to many destinations.

But the train is in any case actually cheaper than that. Hotelink is now £19.00 pp one way. The train is £15.50 (so long as you don't incur the penalty for buying the ticket on board). For a couple, that gives you £7.00 towards the cab fare for starters.

Whether train+cab works better for you depends on many things including the time of day and the location of your hotel.

The point of train+cab is not that it's cheap. It's that it's fast, at least to many destinations.

But the train is in any case actually cheaper than that. Hotelink is now £19.00 pp one way. The train is £15.50 (so long as you don't incur the penalty for buying the ticket on board). For a couple, that gives you £7.00 towards the cab fare for starters.

Whether train+cab works better for you depends on many things including the time of day and the location of your hotel.

And also luggage. The OP has 5 suitcases. 2 people handling 5 suitcases on a train and then trying to find a London cab big enough to handle it might be a chore.

Dave

And also luggage. The OP has 5 suitcases. 2 people handling 5 suitcases on a train and then trying to find a London cab big enough to handle it might be a chore.
Indeed. Many things go into this decision.
Anyone have an idea of how long it takes to go through customs and claim your bags?
At that time of the night, I would expect to be out within 45 minutes, possibly less if the baggage handlers get their act together. Usually there aren't many big flights arriving at that time.

Archived