New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

How is the J,Z SUBWAY LINE. Is that more efficient to get into Manhattan?

If that line is more efficient than the Blue A,C Line, i will change stations in the Broadway Junction station...

What do you think?:confused:

No its all about the same non rush hours. You are talking about longish subway rides....the subway wasn't intended for luggage. NY understands there is a problem with mass transit access from the airport to Manhattan and is exploring a number of alternatives. The problem is if you use an existing subway tunnel you inconvenience hundreds of thousands of people who use the subway for commuting for much fewer to and from the airport(tens of thousands). Also many of the subway lines are at capacity at times so added a new train is just not an option. The NY subway carries 3.2 million people PER working day. NY is adding new lines but not in the Brooklyn area that carries this traffic to Manhattan. Its a sore point for me personally. They will probably eventually add a new tunnel for use of an airport connector. But It may not be in time for your cruise.

I do think its faster if instead of going to Howard Beach you take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then the E into Manhattan. You can change on the same track(get off the train and wait for another train) to the F train which also goes to Smith and 9th Street in Brooklyn and I think this is somewhat faster.

Some more history for what its worth. The NY Subway system was not always one system it started off as three separate privately owned railways. The IRT was the first(the interboro rapid transit system) which is the numbered trains 1. 2. 3 etc., followed by the IND(Independent) and BMT(Brooklyn Manhattan Transit), These are the lettered trains A B C etc.,. While the track width is the same, trains from the number lines and Lettered lines aren't interchangeable(the IRT tunnels are not as wide). This effects how they service can be modified While IRT trains can run on IND/BMT tracks they create a gap between the platform and the trains and are dangerous. IND/BMT trains can't run on IRT tracks as they would smash into the walls. You can transfer freely at most places they intersect. They intersect a lot as they were built to compete with one another.

when they built the airtrain built by the NYNJ Port authority...they run the airports among other things for some reason they didn't use trains that could run on either the IRT or IND/BMT tracks. I don't know why but is typical of the non foresight that goes on between different levels of government. The Port Authority is not a state city or Federal Agency. its an independent agency set up by NY and NJ and doesn't report to anyone. The NY Govenor and the NJ Governor each appoint half of the Board so no one controls it(although both governors have to approve the board minutes and the refusal of either makes it impossible for the Board to Act)...so each state requires that it be treated equally so if you have an Train at JFK you have to one at EWR...etc.

I do think its faster if instead of going to Howard Beach you take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then the E into Manhattan. You can change on the same track(get off the train and wait for another train) to the F train which also goes to Smith and 9th Street in Brooklyn and I think this is somewhat faster.

You are exactly right.

Joseph, when are you coming to NY - isn't it soon? I almost feel like I should arrange to meet you somewhere and introduce myself, LOL.

You are exactly right.

Joseph, when are you coming to NY - isn't it soon? I almost feel like I should arrange to meet you somewhere and introduce myself, LOL.

LOL and if he gets off at Bergen Street and lets me know when he will coming I'll drive him to the Pier :)

That sounds like a good option, i will take the Airtrain (Wich it cost around 5 dlls dont know if this is true) and the take the E or F line to Manhattan.

How long does it takes?

You are exactly right.

LOL I will be there very soon...

I will arrive to NY Saturday Oct,13 in early morning to JFK, thats the day I need The subway from JFK airport. (I am not traveling with my Luggage, that will be in the Red Hook Cruise terminal when I arrive)

I am planing to do some sightseeing in Manhattan before i take the crown that same day Oct 13. How long does it take to transport by subway from Lower Manhattan to Red Hook ( Carrol or Bergen St)

Then after the cruise i will be in NY from Oct 20 to 24.. 4 nights.

We are ready...:) :) :)

I will arrive to NY Saturday Oct,13 in early morning to JFK, thats the day I need The subway from JFK airport. (I am not traveling with my Luggage, that will be in the Red Hook Cruise terminal when I arrive)

I am planing to do some sightseeing in Manhattan before i take the crown that same day Oct 13. How long does it take to transport by subway from Lower Manhattan to Red Hook ( Carrol or Bergen St)

If you are near a f train stop like Broadway Lafayette less than 15 minutes. If you are by the WTC if you take a cab it will less than 15 minutes to the terminal and about $15.00......If you are by the WTC take the A or C train to Brooklyn Jay Street Boro Hall and change across the Track to the F train...less than 15 minutes in total once the first train comes.

If you are coming from Kennedy to the WTC take the Airtrain to Jamaica and get on the E train towards Manhattan and take it to the last stop which is the WTC lower manhattan(the E train still says WTC as the last stop)....

Unfortunately, I'll be on the Explorer out of NJ Oct. 21 - 24. But I will be in NYC on Oct. 13 with my daughter and grandsons treating them to the NY Sightseeing bus for DD's birthday!

If you are near a f train stop like Broadway Lafayette less than 15 minutes. If you are by the WTC if you take a cab it will less than 15 minutes to the terminal and about $15.00......If you are by the WTC take the A or C train to Brooklyn Jay Street Boro Hall and change across the Track to the F train...less than 15 minutes in total once the first train comes.

If you are coming from Kennedy to the WTC take the Airtrain to Jamaica and get on the E train towards Manhattan and take it to the last stop which is the WTC lower manhattan(the E train still says WTC as the last stop)....

That sound like a good idea... i will do that, thank you for the information.:)

Unfortunately, I'll be on the Explorer out of NJ Oct. 21 - 24. But I will be in NYC on Oct. 13 with my daughter and grandsons treating them to the NY Sightseeing bus for DD's birthday!

Ohh, Explorer very nice cruise, also very very Big...I take the Caribean Cruise on her...Love it. Bon Voyage...:D

Ohh, Explorer very nice cruise, also very very Big...I take the Caribean Cruise on her...Love it. Bon Voyage...:D

The bigger the better for me. I just got back from Freedom of the Seas and have sailed Crown Princess and like the bigger ships. ALso doing the Caribbean Princess out of Brooklyn next Sept.

Joseph, when you get back, you have to make sure you come back and tell us what you liked and didn't like.

The bigger the better for me. I just got back from Freedom of the Seas and have sailed Crown Princess and like the bigger ships. ALso doing the Caribbean Princess out of Brooklyn next Sept.

Joseph, when you get back, you have to make sure you come back and tell us what you liked and didn't like.

OF COURSE I WILL POST A REVIEW ABOUT NY WHEN I COME BACK...:)

Joseph, you started this thread which now has almost 500 posts. You will need to start a new thread with your review. I hope it's a good review because you will have had a great time here. :D

Of course i will...:D

Better idea, i will start a new thread with my review...and also post it here.

I am getting very exited because our departure is going to be very soon.:)

Of course i will...:D

Better idea, i will start a new thread with my review...and also post it here.

I am getting very exited because our departure is going to be very soon.:)

Have a wonderful time Joseph. You should write a book really with all the information you have from here. Have a drink and toast to all your fellow CC members who are with you in spirit.:)

Have a wonderful time Joseph. You should write a book really with all the information you have from here. Have a drink and toast to all your fellow CC members who are with you in spirit.:)

I will, thank you very much for all the cruise critic member who help me in about New York...:)

Joseph, did you figure out which bar you are going to for happy hour?

I am considering this two...

Professor Thom's..... and Crocodile Lounge (free pizza sounds good...):D

Tell me you top 3?

Another question i will need Internet, but maybe an Internet Cafe any Opinions?:confused:

The NY public Library have Internet?

I am considering this two...

Professor Thom's..... and Crocodile Lounge (free pizza sounds good...):D

Tell me you top 3?

Another question i will need Internet, but maybe an Internet Cafe any Opinions?:confused:

The NY public Library have Internet?

I have a feeling I am a little older than you are so my top 3 wouldn't be the same top 3 for you. I can say you are making a good choice with Professor Thom's and Croc. Lounge. Go to Prof. Thom's first, then over the Croc. Lounge for another drink and pizza. They are very close to each other.

As for internet service, I am almost positive the NY public library has internet service, but many magazine stores offer mini internet cafes as well, at least the ones by me. Your hotel also might have a computer room. Do a google search for internet cafes in NYC, there are a ton listed.

I have a feeling I am a little older than you are so my top 3 wouldn't be the same top 3 for you. I can say you are making a good choice with Professor Thom's and Croc. Lounge. Go to Prof. Thom's first, then over the Croc. Lounge for another drink and pizza. They are very close to each other.

As for internet service, I am almost positive the NY public library has internet service, but many magazine stores offer mini internet cafes as well, at least the ones by me. Your hotel also might have a computer room. Do a google search for internet cafes in NYC, there are a ton listed.

I will follow your advice about the Happy Hour...

Internet service in my Hotel is only Available WIFI and I am not bringing my Laptop...

But thanks to your advice I google it and find this great page about Internet service in NY

http://www.internet-cafe-guide.com/new-york-city-internet-cafe.html

Also found Info about Public Library with free Internet service.:)

Thank You.;)