if we have 2 rooms, can we move the furniture around?

OnTheBrink

• 4 months later...
Oh! Please do let me know! Thank you!

Hi Onthebrink - well we have returned from our cruise and as promised am reporting back!!!! Our cabin steward was wonderful and understanding, am sure in some ways it created more work but hopefully he was also compensated for that! It was a VERY tight squeeze - we had taken 2 single blow up beds - a double would have worked a lot better - and with one of them, to make it fit, we couldn't fully inflate it (the pressure of squeezing it in then inflated it to the just the right firmness!) of a morning we would put them under our bed and of a night the cabin steward would take out and make up for us - have incl. a couple of pics to show you

2005073839261497596_th.jpg

We also saw the Supervisor and explained the situation to her (together with raving about how wonderful Godfrey was!) We had the separator between balconies open so on a 30 day cruise it was wonderful having the 2 bedrooms and "playroom" but great of a night sleeping comfortably knowing the girls were safe and sound!

I was going to suggest the same thing but see you're back from your cruise & had a great time. Aren't these room stewards wonderful? It was a win-win situation. Not only did you tip him extra but you also spoke to his supv. Only one more thing you could have done was to fill out one of those "Make a difference" cards. Your family can sit at my table anytime!

I was going to suggest the same thing but see you're back from your cruise & had a great time. Aren't these room stewards wonderful? It was a win-win situation. Not only did you tip him extra but you also spoke to his supv. Only one more thing you could have done was to fill out one of those "Make a difference" cards. Your family can sit at my table anytime!

Don't worry that was definitely done as well and I had the girls fill one card in for him as well!!:)

ps would love to sit at your table LOL!!!

Hi Onthebrink - well we have returned from our cruise and as promised am reporting back!!!! Our cabin steward was wonderful and understanding, am sure in some ways it created more work but hopefully he was also compensated for that! It was a VERY tight squeeze - we had taken 2 single blow up beds - a double would have worked a lot better - and with one of them, to make it fit, we couldn't fully inflate it (the pressure of squeezing it in then inflated it to the just the right firmness!) of a morning we would put them under our bed and of a night the cabin steward would take out and make up for us - have incl. a couple of pics to show you

2005073839261497596_th.jpg

We also saw the Supervisor and explained the situation to her (together with raving about how wonderful Godfrey was!) We had the separator between balconies open so on a 30 day cruise it was wonderful having the 2 bedrooms and "playroom" but great of a night sleeping comfortably knowing the girls were safe and sound!

Thank you! Can you help me visualize this?

Was it twin bed-twin bed(pushed together) and next to that twin mattress-twin mattress pushed together?

so: TBTBTMTM? Is that right?

And are you suggesting we use a double blow up mattress? So"

TBTBDM?

Did you bring your own bedding for the blow up mattresses? I suppose on a double we could just use the king size, right?

I think you are visualising right ... phew confusing - our bed was a queen (the two twin beds pushed together and made up as per usual) then on the floor we had 2 single blow up mattresses (which we purchased in Seattle) side by side - we did it this way as we thought a) there would be potentially less arguments (she's on my side etc etc) and b) if one developed a hole..... but in retrospect a double would have been slightly smaller so would have been easier to fit. Our cabin steward said he was only too happy to get additional bedding and sheeting etc (he even put mattress protectors on to make sure the beds weren't cold to lay on!) and insisted it wasn't a problem - so from that point of view he took care of it all! I know it sounds complicated but honestly it really wasn't and for our peace of mind - I might add that the girls didn't complain once (we have a 7&9yr old) and both actually said how comfy it was - it was wall to wall beds and occasionally a tad annoying first thing in the morning but more than worth it!

If your two are smallish and you don't have to travel far to port you might even consider taking 2 or those little pullout lounges..... and yes we did just take the chair into the other room without a problem.

We have 5 in our family and of course use 2 cabins on the ship and split up. But, in hotels, we frequently need to have one of the kids sleep on the floor as hotels think that everyone has a family of 4 :rolleyes: Mine are between 13 and 17 years old and they would rather just use sleeping bags or fluffy blankets to sleep on. Air beds can be a pain, they are noisy when you turn around in them, they require more space when blown up and can develop holes easily.

If I was in your situation, I would move the larger club chair and small round table to the other room. We put the round table in our closet as it was in the way. Then I would ask the room steward for two of the large, fluffy, duvets and use them as sleeping bags on the floor. If you need padding, just ask the steward and I am sure he could bring you something to put under them.

Your kids are so young and certainly would be cozy as can be in those duvets without the bother of the air beds. All you would have to do is fold the bedding up during the day and place it on one of the beds.

Good luck!

While it's nice that the inlaws want to take you on a trip, I don't understand their reasoning on paying for an extra cabin so that you guys are all in a row, instead of letting you have a cabin for 4 or adjoining cabins somewhere else on the ship so that everybody is comfortable. Kind of sounds ignorant and control freak-ish to me to put you guys in the position of having to either split up one adult-one kid per cabin, or making the kids sleep on the floor when there are 2 perfectly good beds being unused 10 feet away.

You said you had 6 rooms all in a row. Where are your 2 rooms in that group? I only ask because if you open up your 2 balconies, others in the family might suggest you guys open all 6, especially if your 2 cabins are right in the middle of the 6. I would definitely draw the line at that, or you may end up with mommy dearest thinking it's ok to just drop in at her leisure

I thought two twins pushed together made a king? No?

OK, I just looked it up. The widths on standard mattresses are:

twin: 39"

full: 54:

queen: 60"

king: 76"

So a king is just shy of two twins.

Are the twins on Princess actually more narrow than a standard mattress?

If I was in your situation, I would move the larger club chair and small round table to the other room. We put the round table in our closet as it was in the way. Then I would ask the room steward for two of the large, fluffy, duvets and use them as sleeping bags on the floor. If you need padding, just ask the steward and I am sure he could bring you something to put under them.

Your kids are so young and certainly would be cozy as can be in those duvets without the bother of the air beds. All you would have to do is fold the bedding up during the day and place it on one of the beds.

Good luck!

I think this might be the best plan! They will be 3.5 and 7. This would certainly be easy to try out without much hassle.

But in case we go the other route:

What is a good double air mattress? What's a good price? How big are they for packing? Do we need special outlets or equipment to blow them up?

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for taking the time to help us think this through!

While it's nice that the inlaws want to take you on a trip, I don't understand their reasoning on paying for an extra cabin so that you guys are all in a row, instead of letting you have a cabin for 4 or adjoining cabins somewhere else on the ship so that everybody is comfortable. Kind of sounds ignorant and control freak-ish to me to put you guys in the position of having to either split up one adult-one kid per cabin, or making the kids sleep on the floor when there are 2 perfectly good beds being unused 10 feet away.

You said you had 6 rooms all in a row. Where are your 2 rooms in that group? I only ask because if you open up your 2 balconies, others in the family might suggest you guys open all 6, especially if your 2 cabins are right in the middle of the 6. I would definitely draw the line at that, or you may end up with mommy dearest thinking it's ok to just drop in at her leisure

:) Thanks for your concern!

I really think that my step-MIL wants everyone close just because that's what she pictures as the most fun. We looked into getting a mini suite (I think that's what it's called), but it cost more than the 2 rooms combined. Plus, it looks like the 2 separate rooms will give us more total square foot space (plus an extra closet and bathroom), which will be nice.

Honestly, I don't think my kids will mind and I know that we won't. One or both of them ends up in our bed every night anyway!

Oh, our two rooms are at the end of the group of 6. 302 and 304, I think? I'm really not worried about MIL dropping in. She's wonderful about respecting our privacy. And she really likes her own as well!

I still think you just get a cabin for 4 on another deck and stop worrying about all being on Lido deck. We traveled with 18 back in June and 3 families of 4 cabins were on Dolphin and I could not tell you what deck the other two families were on. Unless you have some compelling reason to be next to each other I would go with a cabin for 4 on another deck. Floor space is tight and while your children are small you don't need to be worried at night about stepping on them to go to the bathroom. We found the cabin for 4 plenty of space and never had any issues finding my in-laws even those on the other decks. On such a large ship we had enough privacy and enough together time.

I thought two twins pushed together made a king? No?

OK, I just looked it up. The widths on standard mattresses are:

twin: 39"

full: 54:

queen: 60"

king: 76"

So a king is just shy of two twins.

Are the twins on Princess actually more narrow than a standard mattress?

The Princess twins are smaller than a regular twin and that is why they call them queen sized when they are joined together.

No, we're not putting our kids in a separate room without adults. The only option would be that we split up - 1 adult and 1 kid per room. But we'd like to have the option of sleeping in the same room. We always do when we travel (and often at home) and it works great for us.

We had to get 2 rooms because of where we wanted to be with the rest of the extended family - Lido Deck. We could have done the suite, but that was a lot more money.

I’m not sure that moving the furniture is really practical but anything that can be done to support your decision of not leaving your children alone in a room should be fully supported. I really applaud this decision and I sincerely hope that this works for you and your family.

We'll be on Emerald Princess in Lido deck 302 and 304. We have 2 kids - 3.5 and 7. We'd like to (if possible) all sleep in the same room and have the other room to kind of hang out in. I'm wondering if we can move the little table and two chairs in one room to another to allow for floor space for the kids to sleep on. Better yet, can we just ask for the extra furniture to be removed for the entire trip (not stored in our 2nd room)?

I see that your cruise is not until March 2008. Sorry I don't have much to add, but please let us know in a review how the bed situation worked out. I was on the Crown & Diamond with 2 twins, and I don't know how 1 or even 2 more twin beds would fit in 1 room with all the furniture moved to the other room. I think it may be a fire hazzard to put that many people in a room as well, if it is designed to hold only 2. I'm not sure on this, but???Please give us a review when you return. Happy cruising.:)

We'll be on Emerald Princess in Lido deck 302 and 304. We have 2 kids - 3.5 and 7. We'd like to (if possible) all sleep in the same room and have the other room to kind of hang out in. I'm wondering if we can move the little table and two chairs in one room to another to allow for floor space for the kids to sleep on. Better yet, can we just ask for the extra furniture to be removed for the entire trip (not stored in our 2nd room)?

Did you try to post this as well under the family section? Someone may have insight on what they did with 2 rooms and small kids.

I’m not sure that moving the furniture is really practical but anything that can be done to support your decision of not leaving your children alone in a room should be fully supported. I really applaud this decision and I sincerely hope that this works for you and your family.

Thank you! I really needed to hear that!

Did you try to post this as well under the family section? Someone may have insight on what they did with 2 rooms and small kids.

I did. Most there are saying that I need to tell MIL to get us a different room so that we can all stay together. That's not an option, though.

I did. Most there are saying that I need to tell MIL to get us a different room so that we can all stay together. That's not an option, though.

I understand that staying in the current 2 rooms is what it is. Did you call Princess to ask them, what you can do? It will all work out I am sure. Do let us know how it all does work out, someone before you certainly has had this situation come up. Hopefully before March 2008 they will post.:)

I would dearly love for my in-laws to gift us any sort of cruise, and I really don't understand the 'get a mini' comments. But then again, we'd split up the adults in a second. It's not like there'd be hanky panky going on with the kids in the room, anyway. :o (I totally could see where some wouldn't really want to do this, though.)

I hear what you're saying. But it's not an option. It's a gift. We have to accept it as it's given. The gift is very generous, no matter what deck or room configuration!
Go and have a wonderful time - trust me it will work, you will be surprised how little effort it really is in the end - having a "play" room IMHO is wonderful - one can be having a nap the other watching tv without disturbing the other etc etc etc

It cost us around $20 for the mattress (good brand on special - and because they were wedged in - no sound:D ) and $15 or so for an electric pump - they were so tiny and light we ended up taking them home (originally we were going to leave on the ship)

whats sad is that you could have been on the same deck with a 4 person room which you MIL could have saved alot of money since now she has paid adult prices for the kids if I am correct because the 1st 2 in a room is one price and then cheaper after that....but oh well again it was a gift..tell all 6 rooms to use the extra room for storage////

Archived