Question about timing a Canadian/New England Cruise

Rudebob

My wife who is a school teacher now gets a fall break during the middle of October. She has always wanted to do Canadian/New England cruise. It seemed like in years past most cruise lines were not even offering this itinerary this late in the fall, however, Norwegian and Princess both have cruises this year that are available during her break.

We are interested in booking one of these cruises but wonder if it will be too late in the season to take in any of the fall seasonal changes and what to expect as far as temperatures go. We are from the southwest and will not likely see high temperatures less than 100 degrees even at that time of year so we know little of what to expect in the northeastern part of the continent. Any thoughts would be appreciated?

'bob

My wife who is a school teacher now gets a fall break during the middle of October. She has always wanted to do Canadian/New England cruise. It seemed like in years past most cruise lines were not even offering this itinerary this late in the fall, however, Norwegian and Princess both have cruises this year that are available during her break.

We are interested in booking one of these cruises but wonder if it will be too late in the season to take in any of the fall seasonal changes and what to expect as far as temperatures go. We are from the southwest and will not likely see high temperatures less than 100 degrees even at that time of year so we know little of what to expect in the northeastern part of the continent. Any thoughts would be appreciated?

'bob

You'll be smack dab in the middle of our beautiful fall! This is a great time to cruise New England. You'll have weather anywhere from 50-70 degrees. The thing about New England is that our weather is VERY unpredictable. This winter didn't even start until January! You could have some nice sunny days, be sure to bring a light jacket.

Enjoy!

I'm originally from further north than Boston - Vermont - and we've had snow the first part of October in the not too distant past, along with heat waves and Indian summers. We've had foliage that has last through November and we've lost it the first part of September. The reality is that the weather is the weather and what might hold true one year might not be the same.

Expect weather that will be cool, even cold as you near the Canadian border, especially if you are used to warmer temps and low humidity. Expect rain make sure to bring warm footware - Layering is your best bet because you can always add or subtract as the day goes on.

I would also suggest heading over to the New England ports of call board and check out what those folks will say, especially the ones living further north, like Maine.

Charlie

The fall can be a very lovely time of year in that area however it all depends on the weather and where you are going. If there is an early fall the leaves could have all changed by then. Last year there was a major snow storm the second week in October in western NY and the NewEngland states. But that was very unusual. However the weather at that time of the year is very volatile, temps could vary from freezing to low 80's. Lately that area has been experiencing later falls. We saw very lovely colours in New England and Quebec the second week in October a few years ago the temps were mostly high 60's - low 70's, it was extremely lovely and we had a great time, that was a land based vacation not a cruise. The further north you go the weather will be cold, into Quebec & Newfoundland expect temps in 50's. If the itinerary is for Boston, New Brunswick, PEI you could be in 60's - 70's. It's like sailing into the carribean during hurricane season, you could be lucky and have calm seas or you could run into a hurricane. Weather is a crap shoot. But it will be no where near 100, in fact everyone from that area will want to be heading to your part of the country if temps are still 100. coming from the north I would rather have summer all the time, but I suppose that gets boring too.HaHa

I think it will still be a great time to take the cruise. It might be a bit cooler but weather is weather and changes year to year, week to week etc. We are taking a cruise up there late September and October would have been fine for us as well.

Keith

I am from Fort Lauderdale and we did the Canada/New England cruise on the Grand Princess departing 10/17/04. The weather during the daytime was between 50 to 75 degrees with some sunny days. The worst day was in Newport, RI when it was rainy and the dampness made it feel colder than it was. I just packed jeans, sweaters I could layer over shirts, a blazer, a light jacket and a wind breaker and I was fine. All in all, we had a great trip and enjoyed the beautiful foliage, the history of the various cities and most of all the mountains since we don't have any of those in Fort Lauderdale. Go for it!!

HI Bob,

Come join us and our roll call for the 16 day cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale. It will be great!!! We have a bunch of great people signed up already. From all the information we have already gotten, it will be chilly at times, rainy at times but isn't that the idea of a fall cruise. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=386463 <<<<<click here for roll call

Day Port Arrival Departure

1 Quebec City, Quebec 6:00 PM

2 Saguenay River (Scenic Cruising) 9:00 AM 1:00 PM

3 At Sea

4 Corner Brook, Newfoundland 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

5 Sydney, Nova Scotia 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

6 Halifax, Nova Scotia 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

7 Saint John, New Brunswick 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

8 Bar Harbor, Maine 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

9 Boston, Massachusetts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

10 Newport, Rhode Island 8:30 AM 5:00 PM

11 New York City (Brooklyn), New York 8:00 AM 5:00 PM