Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Question, why is that those who feel they should be allowed to eat in the dining room (insert various reasons, "it is my vacation," "I paid the same as you, so I can wear whatever I want," "it is too much trouble to pack all the clothes," "I dress like this for work, so I don't want to do it on my vacation," and the list of excuses goes on and on) feel it is ok to "wear whatever they want" but don't complain that they can't wear their bathing suit to dinner? Why is it you, appear, to agree w/ the no bathing suit rule, but won't abide by the other rules?

Now that's funny.......;) You're right...this thread has nothing to do with growing up...obviously....:D

I don't want to dress up so I'm just going to do what I want. If people don't like it I am going to hold my breath until I turn blue in the face while throwing a tantrum. Then I am going to whine and scream until I get my way because I am a spoiled brat. If people don't like it I don't care because it is my vacation so there. (Sticks out tounge and makes raspberry noise).

You are 100% correct. Some people on this thread have nothing to do with being grown up.;)

Laughed till I almost p--d myself...

Thanks so very much for attempting to lighten this up...made my day!!

Now that's funny.......;) You're right...this thread has nothing to do with growing up...obviously....:D

I don't want to dress up so I'm just going to do what I want. If people don't like it I am going to hold my breath until I turn blue in the face while throwing a tantrum. Then I am going to whine and scream until I get my way because I am a spoiled brat. If people don't like it I don't care because it is my vacation so there. (Sticks out tounge and makes raspberry noise).

You are 100% correct. Some people on this thread have nothing to do with being grown up.;)

Laughed till I almost p--d myself...So true-so true & especially your last line!!

Thanks so very much for attempting to lighten this up...made my day!!

Why do people always have to buck the system? Just follow the rules they are there so people can enjoy a nice dining experience that is not just so ordinary. If they want casual eat at the buffet.

I have been on numerous cruises and I personally don't appreciate taking the time and effort to dress properly and then having to look at men's hairy armpits while eating on double linen tablecloths. If I wanted that I could stay home and go to Barnhill's Buffet. It is just a matter of respecting everyone's cruising experience and that is why the rules are in place.

OK, I'm confused. Is it that you object to hairy armpits as a general concept, but you don't object to the wearing of tanktops? So, if a man shaves off those portions of his body hair that you find disgusting, then it would be ok to wear a tanktop? Or do you object to tanktops being worn during dinner? Frankly, I've never seen someone come into the dining room wearing what my children told me are called "wifebeaters".

As for taking the time and effort to dress properly, I can certainly appreciate that. Were formal truly enforced on Carnival, I too would take the time and effort to pack our formal clothes . But they simply don't, and "formal" has a broad definition under the existing rules, AND are really treated by Carnival as "guidelines" which are not fast and true. Therefore the ambience that many seek for a formal evening, simply does not exist and has never existed on Carnival.

However, the bottom line is humans are primates, and all of us have body hair in places that are inconvenient, esp. as we age, such as our ears. However, most body hair, sparce as it is, does serve several purposes in aiding our skin in thermal regulation. This is why I object when grown men decide to become smoothies.

But what I really want to know, and maybe I should start a poll, is how many people find hairy armpits disgusting?

Should Carnival simply ban hairy armpits? Should those hirsute individuals be banned from the Lido Deck, except when they announce the hairy man contest?

Once the poll is completed, I'll get ahold of my Gillette five blader with the vibrating head and scrape away if I have to, because I certainly don't want to offend anyone, or heaven forbid have them throw up in the dining room as the result of observing unwanted body hair.

BnB

Question, why is that those who feel they should be allowed to eat in the dining room (insert various reasons, "it is my vacation," "I paid the same as you, so I can wear whatever I want," "it is too much trouble to pack all the clothes," "I dress like this for work, so I don't want to do it on my vacation," and the list of excuses goes on and on) feel it is ok to "wear whatever they want" but don't complain that they can't wear their bathing suit to dinner? Why is it you, appear, to agree w/ the no bathing suit rule, but won't abide by the other rules?

LMAO, that's completely different. A bathing suit to dinner is just tacky and nasty. I mean that's basically half dressed....why not go naked....most of the bathing suits people wear on ships are risque anyway.

Who wouldn't mind dining next to a man in a Speedo:rolleyes: or some Victoria Secret wannabe woman in a skimpy bikini....GMAB

I would think someone would rather be sitting next to someone be in shorts and a tank.

I personally am looking forward to the "formal" nights on my upcoming cruise in Dec.

I drive a truck for a living and I hardly ever wear "nice" clothes or have the opprotunity to dress my best. I can't tell you the last time I wore a suit, unless it was a for a funeral.

Dressing up and looking our best should be a celebration of what we go cruising for in the first place! I am far from being a "city" guy living in a small KY town. Maybe it's me wanting to put aside my country boy attitude for a few hours. Enjoying something that I wouldn't normally get the opprotunity to do in my normal life. I can tell you if I have to get dressed up everytime I go out to eat @ home. I wouldn't go! LOL But something changes when I am on a cruise and there is a chance to look my best.

What I don't understand are people that KNOW what is expected and still don't adhear. If you don't like dressing your best please for 3-4 hours on 2 nights of a cruise. Then please don't disprespect Carnival Guidlines, the Dining room and those of us that would like to look our our best, by showing up in inappropriate attire!

Most ships these days are large enough to offer several choices. If you want to dress like your going to Ryans or Golden Coral go to the Buffet. If you want to dress like your going to a Supper club or (insert fancy restaurant here) Then Please join us in the dining room!

There I said it! Sorry if your Offended! Oh, if you are I don't want to eat with you anyway.

BTW I voted yes on the Poll! ;)

If you want a fine dining experiance, don't force the waiters to entertain us with a 3rd class monkey show. Tell me which 3 Star michelin restaurant you would find that in??

Michelin has restaurants????

I bet their food is awfully chewy!

What does this have to do with growing up:confused:

I personally think that maturity means listening to a polite request and not whining, "It's MY vacation and I paid for it and I will dress how I feel comfortable!"

Children (VERY YOUNG children) think only of themselves; it's all about 'me'. Maturity comes when people think beyond themselves.

Just saw this

LOL...you said it better!! :D

I personally think that maturity means listening to a polite request and not whining, "It's MY vacation and I paid for it and I will dress how I feel comfortable!"

Children (VERY YOUNG children) think only of themselves; it's all about 'me'. Maturity comes when people think beyond themselves.

I was talking about the poll:cool: A poll asking whether they should enforce the dress code or not.

Why this has to turn into how one should act or dress is beyond me:rolleyes:

Why this has to turn into how one should act or dress is beyond me:rolleyes:

Don't all threads on here morph like this??? LOL

Sorry I misunderstood you. But that doesn't change my opinon that people who scream that it's their vacation and they'll do what they want are acting childish.

Sorry I misunderstood you. But that doesn't change my opinon that people who scream that it's their vacation and they'll do what they want are acting childish.

This thread has taken MANY twists and turns. I'm actually surprised it is still around.

The fact is that the poll is for amusement only. It is not a random sampling of all Carnival cruisers but an extremely narrow sampling of (for the most part) extremely opinionated people. It does not, and cannot represent the views of all Carnival cruisers. Educating people on manners and social grace? Really? Or a thinly veiled attempt to intimidate newbie cruises who are already overwhelmed with information by providing obviously biased and inaccurate information? What a disservice you provide. Experienced cruisers already know the truth. The most effective status seeking style is a mockery of status seeking and not a problem for those of us who are socially secure. The wait staff (not hosts) wear uniforms – they have no choice. I do. And I choose to eat in the dining room and will continue to do so. The Lido is not an option. If the thought of seeing someone wearing jeans offends some, I suggest they switch to a snootier cruise line. To think that Carnival will change based on a Mickey Mouse “poll” is naive indeed. Their policies and enforcement are balanced to maximize revenues. The policies and procedures are based on $$$. Welcome to the land of mass marketing. Where you don’t get to pick your neighbors or tell them what to wear or where to eat. Get over it.

Newbies? Inexperienced? I've cruised 19 times on various lines and five on Carnival. My limited experience is that 85% of Carnival cruisers do in fact dress at least to Carnival's minimum standard of dress. But heck! What do I know? I guess I'm still a newbie.

Those that honor the dress standards are snootie? Or is it the ones that feel they can ignore those fairly easy to follow standards?

Amen to that!

OK, I'm confused. Is it that you object to hairy armpits as a general concept, but you don't object to the wearing of tanktops? So, if a man shaves off those portions of his body hair that you find disgusting, then it would be ok to wear a tanktop? Or do you object to tanktops being worn during dinner? Frankly, I've never seen someone come into the dining room wearing what my children told me are called "wifebeaters".

As for taking the time and effort to dress properly, I can certainly appreciate that. Were formal truly enforced on Carnival, I too would take the time and effort to pack our formal clothes . But they simply don't, and "formal" has a broad definition under the existing rules, AND are really treated by Carnival as "guidelines" which are not fast and true. Therefore the ambience that many seek for a formal evening, simply does not exist and has never existed on Carnival.

However, the bottom line is humans are primates, and all of us have body hair in places that are inconvenient, esp. as we age, such as our ears. However, most body hair, sparce as it is, does serve several purposes in aiding our skin in thermal regulation. This is why I object when grown men decide to become smoothies.

But what I really want to know, and maybe I should start a poll, is how many people find hairy armpits disgusting?

Should Carnival simply ban hairy armpits? Should those hirsute individuals be banned from the Lido Deck, except when they announce the hairy man contest?

Once the poll is completed, I'll get ahold of my Gillette five blader with the vibrating head and scrape away if I have to, because I certainly don't want to offend anyone, or heaven forbid have them throw up in the dining room as the result of observing unwanted body hair.

BnB

hhhh

The fact is that the poll is for amusement only. It is not a random sampling of all Carnival cruisers but an extremely narrow sampling of (for the most part) extremely opinionated people. It does not, and cannot represent the views of all Carnival cruisers. Educating people on manners and social grace? Really? Or a thinly veiled attempt to intimidate newbie cruises who are already overwhelmed with information by providing obviously biased and inaccurate information? What a disservice you provide. Experienced cruisers already know the truth. The most effective status seeking style is a mockery of status seeking and not a problem for those of us who are socially secure. The wait staff (not hosts) wear uniforms – they have no choice. I do. And I choose to eat in the dining room and will continue to do so. The Lido is not an option. If the thought of seeing someone wearing jeans offends some, I suggest they switch to a snootier cruise line. To think that Carnival will change based on a Mickey Mouse “poll” is naive indeed. Their policies and enforcement are balanced to maximize revenues. The policies and procedures are based on $$$. Welcome to the land of mass marketing. Where you don’t get to pick your neighbors or tell them what to wear or where to eat. Get over it.

You must not be too observant when you dine on a Carnival ship. The vast majority of people dress appropriately (meaning according to the cruise line's request) In all reality, the poll here may actually be a little 'kind' to you nonconformists. It seems to me more than 75% of the passengers dress with at least a jacket on formal night.

We do no one a disservice by stating the obvious. When politely requested to dress a certain way, any mature, mannerly person will abide by the request.

You must not be too observant when you dine on a Carnival ship. The vast majority of people dress appropriately (meaning according to the cruise line's request) In all reality, the poll here may actually be a little 'kind' to you nonconformists. It seems to me more than 75% of the passengers dress with at least a jacket on formal night.

We do no one a disservice by stating the obvious. When politely requested to dress a certain way, any mature, mannerly person will abide by the request.

I would agree with respect to formal nights, compliance is probably in the 90% range, however I saw a LOT more blatant violations of the dress restrictions on the non-formal nights... people wearing shorts or T-shirts and non-chemo passengers wearing ballcaps.

BnB

I object to tanktops in the dining room when it states clearly not to wear them. I object to all the self centered people who think the rules don't apply to them. I have seen people in the dining room on Formal nights in loose fitting tank tops and cut off jeans.

The reason Carnival doens't enfore the rules is because of all the self centered tacky people who want to dress like they are working in the yard. If they were to turn them all the way they would have more complaints and lose business and the hillbilly's know this so they don't care and ruin the experience for everybody. Like I said before there is a dress code if you can't meet the standard don't come to the dining room. If I go to the buffet or the pool I expect to see hairy armpits.

How long have you been cruising? I have been cruising for 32 years and I can assure you there was the day when noboby showed up without the proper attire in the dining room and if they did they would have been turned away. My parents taught me to do the right thing and follow the rules.

Actually I beg to differ on the tank-tops issue... call me sexist, but here is a thread where we discussed why certain tank tops are ok but only for women, and yes hairy armpits were mentioned. Of course this was not about formal night, though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10468296&postcount=38

Yes we can wear tank tops......I think some are just confused:rolleyes:

Actually this is one example that another poster said how some of these posts are a disservice to newbies........

I certainly believe so! I think that it is a wonderful experience for my children (16, 17, 18) to see how a formal dinner experience is suppose to be and learn how to act appropriately. My daughter is quite the "deb" and always loves to dress up to the nines. The boys...well...they are boys. But they still need to experience this so that they know the difference between casual and formal.

Yes we can wear tank tops......I think some are just confused:rolleyes:

Actually this is one example that another poster said how some of these posts are a disservice to newbies........

Misinformation is a disservice to newbies and oldies alike. Telling them to not follow the bad example of the ones who act like children is not. ;)

Archived