Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

I personally can't vote there is not a I don't care response:confused:

We do dress for formal nite and proper for supper each night.. but having someone who doesn't does not bother us.. We don't stare down others and critique them.. sorry there are people that are paid for that.. until I am paid I will just let it go in one eye out the other..:rolleyes:

Our supper doesn't taste any different and the experience hasn't changed because of what someone else has decided to wear.. If Carnival decides to enforce the code so be it.. if not so beit.. ask for your food to go;)

In my personal opinion I believe that it is true that the food taste the same regardless of how you dress. However, I also think that there is a formal night for a reason. I think that in today's society young people should experience a formal dinner setting so that they learn how to act and dress appropriately. That way, when they are in there 30's and 40's they know the difference between formal and casual. I really do not want my teenage children thinking that they can go into a 4 or 5 star restaurant wearing jeans and a tank top. I am not saying that formal attire should be in the dining room every night. However, I think that when dinner is designated as "formal night".....that is what it means! You would not send your daughter off to the high school prom wearing shorts and a tank top, would you?

It's a thankless job, but somebody has to do it! :D

LOL now that's funny:)

Not directing this at you by any means...but I would beg to differ it being a thankless job. Seems there are plenty on here that get great pleasure out of telling people what to wear and how to act. Especially the ones that have a lovely way of spewing out names because someone disagrees with them. Seems they are mature enough to know the dress codes but are clearly lacking maturity when it comes to a difference of opinions......

And once again to no fault of my own this thread is heading in a different direction.

By the way op I did not vote either........clearly Carnival does not see a problem with the way formal night is enforced. Or other nights for that matter. And I don't either......:)

Yes we can wear tank tops......I think some are just confused:rolleyes:

Actually this is one example that another poster said how some of these posts are a disservice to newbies........

:o Sorry! Didn't mean to confuse the newbies.

So I am a lifeguard

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T-shirt.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing. If they can get away with it.

Denim: The New Business Casual Look By Tamiya King Looking for something new to wear to work? You may want to try a pair of jeans. Denim is becoming much more acceptable in the workplace, and is becoming the new fabric of business casual outfits. However, you still want to look professional, even if you decide to wear a jean jacket to work. Here are some pointers that may help you decide which denim clothing and accessories are welcomed in the office. ........

One would think teaching others to not be judgmental would rank higher than what clothes one wore when being judgmental.

Dressing appropriately and wanting others to do so is not being judgmental... it is having certain expectations in a civilized society. Would you not be put off by someone who picked their nose in public? Smoked in a non-smoking section? Reeked because they didn't bathe or wear deodorant? How about someone who wears a Tshirt that says FVCK OFF while walking down a public street where there are children? How about a woman walking topless in a public park? None of these acts are illegal (at least here in NY) however most would be affected when confronted with them.... it is the same principal when dressing appropriately for an event.

I do dress appropriately. If others don't think so, it is being judgmental and is their problem, not mine. Would it make you feel better if I dressed like a penguin to pick my nose? I'm not the one that bastardized the definition of formal - Carnival did and they did so for a reason - money.

Many if not most of my clients dress in denim. However, in my office, denim is not acceptable as business casual nor has it been at any job I've had in my lifetime.

Problem, people push it too far. I worked in an office that allowed jeans on Fridays (business casual the rest of the week). One Friday, the CEO, dressed in nice jeans, gets into an elevator with someone wearing ripped jeans and a t-shirt (a real t-shirt, specifically not allowed). An email went out to the whole company saying that we were now business casual 5 days a week - no jeans allowed ever.

One would think teaching others to not be judgmental would rank higher than what clothes one wore when being judgmental.

Amen to this! And not wearing the appropriate clothing, or what someone else thinks is the appropriate clothing, goes in the same category as picking your nose in public? I can't beleive that is a serious statement or, that this much effort is being put into what someone else wears on formal night. Go on your vacation and enjoy!

Many if not all of my clients dress in denim. However, in my office, denim is not acceptable as business casual nor has it been at any job I've had in my lifetime.

I am a titleclerk and warranty manager in a car dealership. There was a time no blue jeans could be worn. You could wear black jeans on friday and that was it.

Now not to put anyone down but we have farmers who could buy our dealership 2 and 3 times walking in with their old tattered coveralls. After several dicussions with some of these people they thought people in our dealership

were snotty by our dress. The last thing I would ever want to do was to make ANY one our customers feel uncomfortable.

Today we can now wear blue or black jeans with our dealership shirts. You cannot imagine the attitude we have with alot of our customers. Now we kid and joke wth them and they appear very happy now.

This is not the normal working place please understand. We are in a very small farm town and our dress attire fits in.

Now with all of this said on vacation I do want to dress up. I find it exciting to dress up and feel special. I love to see what everyone wears to. It is just part of the cruise experience for me....

Amen to this! And not wearing the appropriate clothing, or what someone else thinks is the appropriate clothing, goes in the same category as picking your nose in public? I can't beleive that is a serious statement or, that this much effort is being put into what someone else wears on formal night. Go on your vacation and enjoy!

May not be the same category but I was making an example of societal norms and trying to illustrate that the image you put forth tells others something about you, whether it is right or wrong. Why give people the wrong impression? If you violate a dress code I don't disagree that you might be a very nice person, but it might take others longer to find this out about you. If you went to a wedding and sat next to someone wearing jeans, you might get to know them at the reception and find out that they are a very nice person. However, your first thought when you see them will probably be "*****? Who the hell wears jeans to a wedding?" First impressions go a long way, like it or not.

May not be the same category but I was making an example of societal norms and trying to illustrate that the image you put forth tells others something about you, whether it is right or wrong. Why give people the wrong impression? If you violate a dress code I don't disagree that you might be a very nice person, but it might take others longer to find this out about you. If you went to a wedding and sat next to someone wearing jeans, you might get to know them at the reception and find out that they are a very nice person. However, your first thought when you see them will probably be "*****? Who the hell wears jeans to a wedding?" First impressions go a long way, like it or not.

I understand exactly what you're saying here. I live in the city now, but I grew up in a small town. I saw jeans at my nephew's formal wedding and about flipped, but that was acceptable there. At the last formal wedding I attended in the city, everyone from the smallest to the oldest was dressed up. No jeans to be seen.

Despite what people say, they are going to judge others to some degree and that first impression can mean a lot in how they deal with others. What's acceptable in one place may not be in another. When requirements or guidelines are put forth for a certain kind of dress, then why is it so hard for people to just do as expected?

WOW!!!! This topic is really getting some people worked up! I still think that when a ship has a formal dinner night, that is what it means.....FORMAL. This does not necessarily mean TUX. A dark suit or any suit for that matter would work. You think that if someone has enough money to take a cruise that they can at least afford a simple suit.

I understand exactly what you're saying here. I live in the city now, but I grew up in a small town. I saw jeans at my nephew's formal wedding and about flipped, but that was acceptable there. At the last formal wedding I attended in the city, everyone from the smallest to the oldest was dressed up. No jeans to be seen.

Despite what people say, they are going to judge others to some degree and that first impression can mean a lot in how they deal with others. What's acceptable in one place may not be in another. When requirements or guidelines are put forth for a certain kind of dress, then why is it so hard for people to just do as expected?

Thanks, hstry for saying a lot more clearly what I was trying to get across. Everyone has a different threshold of what is acceptable and forms an opinion of others when first seeing them, even if it is totally in their subconscious. On a cruise ship the cruiseline tries to set a standard as to what is acceptable, and the standrds really aren't that high on Carnival when compared to other ships.

The table next to ours on our last cruise had quite a few members wearing shorts and at least one in a ballcap. I also found them to be loud and obnoxious, but can't help wondering if their clothing affected my perception of how loud and obnoxious they were. I know it doesn't make sense, and who knows maybe if they were dressed appropriately I still would have found them to be loud... but why start out with strikes against you?

So I know I am about to open a new can of worms here....but....

Most teens (my 15 yr old DD) wear jeans 99% of the time. Normally after dinner, she heads right to the teen disco. I told her that the first night of our next cruise she is to wear a sundress or skirt to dinner....however, if there are teens wearing denim, that she could also wear it on non-formal nights (she knows better than denim on the formal nights). But with a nice dressy shirt, not a tanktop or tee.

My daughter attends an all girls catholic school 10 months of the year and wears skirt/blouse/cardigan...she is also on vacation and if it offends anyone that she is wearing very nice denim to dinner, my apology in advance.

Sorry, but that is my plan....feel free to bash away!

WOW!!!! This topic is really getting some people worked up! I still think that when a ship has a formal dinner night, that is what it means.....FORMAL. This does not necessarily mean TUX. A dark suit or any suit for that matter would work. You think that if someone has enough money to take a cruise that they can at least afford a simple suit.

Oh this is nothing new. This has been going on for years and people really get going every time the topic comes up, which is about once every week or so. And yes, if you can afford the cruise, the cost of appropriate clothing should be included in your spending.

So I know I am about to open a new can of worms here....but....

Most teens (my 15 yr old DD) wear jeans 99% of the time. Normally after dinner, she heads right to the teen disco. I told her that the first night of our next cruise she is to wear a sundress or skirt to dinner....however, if there are teens wearing denim, that she could also wear it on non-formal nights (she knows better than denim on the formal nights). But with a nice dressy shirt, not a tanktop or tee.

My daughter attends an all girls catholic school 10 months of the year and wears skirt/blouse/cardigan...she is also on vacation and if it offends anyone that she is wearing very nice denim to dinner, my apology in advance.

Sorry, but that is my plan....feel free to bash away!

No need to bash. It's an acceptable plan. Jeans are allowed in the dining room on non-formal nights. I personally won't wear them, but as long as they aren't the ripped up, holey ones, they are perfectly acceptable.

I agree that on non-formal dinner nights, casual/informal attire is perfectly acceptable. As long as I do not have to see arm pit hair hanging out of under a tank top in the dining room I am happy with that. I do not even let my teens come to the dining table at home with arm pit hair hanging out. Sorry, call me uptight.

I believe that when a passenger ship was just a mode of transportation there were different classes on the ship and you got what you could to pay for. The third class was separated into claustrophobic areas of the ship, often sharing cabins. Their food choices were probably limited to soups and bread when they could get it. The second class had it off a little better being allowed above the water line and probably dined on tables with waiters for lunch and dinner. The first class of course had the nicer rooms and was served gourmet meals on fine china while a band played. They also had access to the nicer lounges.

During this pre-cruising era I’m sure there was not a lot of shorts or T-shirts being worn at any class. But you wore what you could afford. The lower classes in their worn and tattered clothes and the upper class in their tuxedo’s and evening gowns. Pictures that I have seen also allowed the lower class passengers to wear hats while eating at their benches while hats were probably strictly forbidden inside the first class dining rooms.

When the need for Ocean Liners as transportation declined and Luxury Cruising for pleasure began to get a foothold only the wealthy could afford these cruises. The cruise lines at that time adopted the same type service that was provided to first class passengers on the now defunct Ocean Liners.

As cruising became more affordable this presented a problem for the cruise lines. Some chose to try to hang on to the old customs while other cruise lines catered to everyone with low fares. One can still spend a lot of money even on a discount line if they wish to pay for the suites and private butlers but the wealthy still tend to levitate to the premium lines. You get what you pay for.

Even the cut rate cruise lines are trying to hang onto some of the old first class customs thinking this is why people keep coming back. That is why the waiters, table cloths and included semi-gourmet meals still exist on most cruise lines while still offering the $449 cabin. Every dinner may not be formal but even discount cruise lines have tried to hold onto one or two if in name only. Now those able to afford to eat regularly at gourmet restaurants that require a dress code are sometimes mixed in on a cruise with those of us that are used to seeing caps and shorts worn in Chili’s. Some do not understand the big deal with dressing up for dinner while the discount cruise lines are trying to maintain a balance.

I remember a time when shorts, t-shirts and even caps were frowned upon at just about every restaurant and diner. And I still am amazed at all the caps, facing front and backward, being worn at our local Mexican Restaurant. My mother would not allow her children, or husband, to wear a hat in a restaurant or even indoors. This had nothing to do with money or snootiness. A large part of the populace, poor and rich were raised to believe it was a sign of respect for men to take their hats off in the presence of a lady and good manners to take your hat off inside. I doubt if the enchiladas taste any different with a hat on or off.

I think the cruise industry is still evolving. I believe that a discount line will eventually cater exclusively to the many whom really could care less if their napkin is cloth or paper. They will probably rent out space to McDonalds or Burger King with an Outback for more upscale dining and let Holiday Inn or someone manage the hotel side. The cruise company itself will just concern itself with the Ship, Officers and Staff and farm out all other services giving the passengers a wide range of choices in what services that they are willing to pay for. Do you really need your bed made up twice a day?

Some of the old customs of the Trans-Atlantic steamers are still hanging on but I can see them being phased out in the discount lines more each year. This has little to do with snobs or snob-nots. But in closing (applause), to the young man on my last cruise who insisted in showing his pride in sports by him and his children wearing a basketball jersey to dinner every night. “ I am impressed by your under arm follicle forest but please purchase at least a tee shirt, I kept looking for hairs in my entrée.”

Archived