Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

So you are saying if those people were dressed in a tux acting like a hole that would be ok:confused:

I know that post wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to respond.

Of course not. I do think that when people are dressed they also act the part, which is why some schools want kids in uniforms.

I'm not saying that a young man will not act like an a-hole in a tux, but he's more likely to if he's in street gang-wear.

Being a woman, I know just in my posture that I am different in more formal wear. I certainly don't sit the same in a dress than I would in a pair of jeans, and I don't walk the same in a pair of heels as I do in a pair of sneakers.

Just for the heck of it, the next time you cruise I want you to just watch the posture of the people coming in to the dining room. I'd wager the men in tuxes are standing tall, and the sloppy dressed gusy strut in slouched.

When you're a people watcher, you notice this stuff.

All this does affect ambiance in the dining room and the dress does affect the behavior of the person, if even slightly.

Not bashing but I've read this "nice denim" a few times. Can someone include pictures? My 3 sons like jeans as well and I refuse to buy the insanely expensive ones that come with premade holes and look like they'd be refused by any decent second-hand store; however, they are still just jeans.

No holes at all! none...and I know for the boys the fashion jeans ar a bit different from girls in terms of cut and holes vs. no holes. Think Nordstroms Citizens of Humanity, 7 for all mankind and Paige denim...dark wash, tapered leg,etc....no boot cut. Believe me, I would rather go out and buy her a bunch of slacks from the Gap because unfortunately I am one of those parents that spend the big bucks on clothes for her and this includes denim. Also, nice shoes....girls here wear nice flats with jeans (no flip flops in the dining room...draw the line there).

Postscript: You guys are driving me away from CruiseCritic. I don't care what the 'regulars's think, if by 'regular' it means those who interject their personal opinion about everything. I'm more interested in finding out about cruising, not what self-selected cruisers think. I have opinions, too, which I hold at least as dear as you hold yours. Mostly, I come here for facts and info. If the opionion-ators take over -- well, have a great time talking to each other!

If opinions upset you then don't participate in the threads, especially the poll threads that ask for opinions. :rolleyes: If you want cruise information and facts, stick with those threads. FWIW I'd wager that if this poll was going in the other direction, you'd be much less upset.:rolleyes:

Then I suggest that is your problem, not theirs. They? Who are "They". There are numerous studies on how people react (all other things being equal) to skin color, religion, sexual orientation, yada yada. I don't think you want to go there.

My food and service received still remains the same - as it should.

I didn't go there, we are talking about clothing, which is a choice... one's race, gender and sexual orientation are not choices. BIG difference, so I would suggest YOU not go there.

And, yet, here you are, with multiple posts in this thread, adding to the fun... (Is that you you get to that big number of posts?)

Postscript: You guys are driving me away from CruiseCritic. I don't care what the 'regulars's think, if by 'regular' it means those who interject their personal opinion about everything. I'm more interested in finding out about cruising, not what self-selected cruisers think. I have opinions, too, which I hold at least as dear as you hold yours. Mostly, I come here for facts and info. If the opionion-ators take over -- well, have a great time talking to each other!

Then I would strongly suggest avoiding threads with words such as SHOULD and THINK in the title ;)

I've seen short shorts, jeans, etc. at dinner on Carnival and think it's so inappropriate when there is a dress code. However, I don't get obsessed about it and I prefer to just feel sorry for them and think that they ignore the dress code because they cannot afford dressy clothes or they don't understand what a dress code is.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

LMAO !! Sorry, couldn't get that any bigger. :p

Was just sitting here having my Monday morning coffee and thought I'd catch up on CC, and low and behold this thread was still alive and well. So, just like seeing a train wreck, I had to look.

And I have to say this has been some of the funniest, most stupid, somewhat accurate and sometimes ridiculous reading I've seen on here in awhile.

Thanks to Jessemon and BigPhilKy for the best ROFLMAO this morning.

It seems you can dress up or not. And if you dress up you don't have to dress like Carnival wants. But you can't dress more down than others that aren't dressed up. And if Carnival would split the dining rooms the problem would be solved except that the percentages are not equal. But this isn't a scientific poll anyway. And CC members are an extremely small percentage of the cruising community. Which is surprising since it seems cruising is the mainstream vacation now days. And we shouldn't be judgemental of how others dress. Unless their behavior dictates that we can. But then only depending on how their dressed. And you can argue with someone that has a different opinion than yours, the same opinion as yours or even someone that will give you your opinion. Ain't CC amazing.

Have a good week everyone. Mine has started out great.

That's where you misunderstand how we feel. It's not about judging people's dress, it's about judging people who disregard the request to dress a certain way. There is a BIG difference.

I don't disregard the nebulous by design alleged dress request/code. I interpret it differently.

I didn't go there, we are talking about clothing, which is a choice... one's race, gender and sexual orientation are not choices. BIG difference, so I would suggest YOU not go there.

It is still prejudice and your problem, not mine. It's a vacation, not a job interview. No need for me to suck up.

Did we start talking about manpris again?:eek:

Point one: although I don't think Cruise Critic members have any business dictating what I wear to 'formal night' beyond what the Carnival maitre d' allows, I DO pack a jacket and tie for the occasion!

Point two: I'm too lazy to go back through 500+ posts to figure out how many of them come from members who have, say, 500+ posts (and use issues like this to pad the number), but I propose a moratorium for those members.

Maybe then this thread can DIE A MUCH-NEEDED DEATH!

It's not even a new issue, folks. Let it go, please...

(To the moderators: perhaps you can put these kinds of issues -- including sneaking liquor onboard, passport issues, et al -- into a forum of their own so they don't keep re-appearing here.)

Like using the channel changer on your tv all you have to do is skip the threads on these topics. Its pretty simple really.

The poll is moot.

This thread is moot.

All replies (including all of mine:D ) are moot.

Because the question is : Should Carnival enforce the formal dress code?

AND taa daa...(drum roll please)

They do !

To their own standards on every cruise. the Maitre-D admits or turns away whomever they feel is or is not appropriately dressed for the "occasion."

All the rest is people judging other peoples actions and in-actions by their own internal set of standards.

I know, and all of you know, that we love cruising so much, and enjoy the product that Carnival provides so much, that another persons dress can not ruin our vacation.

I don't watch the door of the dining room. I watch the faces of those at my table. I look at the food (yeah) and I listen to the conversation. I am sure all of you do the same. If there is anyone here spends their entire dinner watching the door to judge how anyone is dressed, and more importantly allows those observation have any effect on them, they may have some other issues :rolleyes: . I suggest that maybe, just maybe, a vacation at a nice soothing spa, a happy acres type place is the next order of the day.:)

Cruise and let cruise.:D

LMAO !! Sorry, couldn't get that any bigger. :p

Was just sitting here having my Monday morning coffee and thought I'd catch up on CC, and low and behold this thread was still alive and well. So, just like seeing a train wreck, I had to look.

And I have to say this has been some of the funniest, most stupid, somewhat accurate and sometimes ridiculous reading I've seen on here in awhile.

Thanks to Jessemon and BigPhilKy for the best ROFLMAO this morning.

It seems you can dress up or not. And if you dress up you don't have to dress like Carnival wants. But you can't dress more down than others that aren't dressed up. And if Carnival would split the dining rooms the problem would be solved except that the percentages are not equal. But this isn't a scientific poll anyway. And CC members are an extremely small percentage of the cruising community. Which is surprising since it seems cruising is the mainstream vacation now days. And we shouldn't be judgemental of how others dress. Unless their behavior dictates that we can. But then only depending on how their dressed. And you can argue with someone that has a different opinion than yours, the same opinion as yours or even someone that will give you your opinion. Ain't CC amazing.

Have a good week everyone. Mine has started out great.

Glad I helped start your day off with a smile....:) :D ;)

Archived