50 plus now allowed on Segways

cruise_lover

FYI -

Last year my sister and I wanted to do the Segway Tour (Cozumel) but the age limit stopped at 50. I'm 58 and she's 60. BUMMER. I check it today and anyone 65 and under can take that tour. Finally! I think enough people complainted and they had to come to the realization that age has nothing to do with being a responsible individual while riding on a motorized scooter.

Now if I can just remember to sign us up for this tour I will be happy!

:rolleyes: :p

Royal Caribbean - January 13, 2008 (Countdown has begun)

Norwegian SUN - January 2007

Carnival Conquest - September 2005

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the age limit isn't for being responsible but for individual motor skills. It does take a reasonable amount of mobility to ride one properly. That said however, if you can walk up and down stairs comfortably and are stable on your feet, most operators will not stop you from riding.

In addition, I am certain that their liability insurance cost rises with the age limit as well. The older the age limit the more the insurance will cost as the odds of someone getting hurt is greater and the injuries tend to be more severe. Limiting folks at age 50 however is a bit much.

Cheers,

Thanks SK -

I learn something new everytime I visit here (CC). Actually I wasn't thinking about motor skills since most of the people I know are older than than I am (I'm 58). These friends can out-do me any day. They are in their 70's and are still scuba diving, riding motor cycles, etc. But now that you mention this it does make more sense why certain tour operators put an age limit on their tours. Thanks for the brain-food.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into this issue in the Outer Banks of NC. I am 65, an avid downhill skier and member of the Ski Patrol, a certified inline skate instructor who skates over 100 miles a week, and work out at my local gym 3 days a week. When I approached the Segway operator down there they were closed (we were there in late October), but they had a sign on the door that said no one over 60.

I wrote them a nice email explaining my thoughts about the limit, and got a very nice response back that basically said what I mentioned before. They basically watch the motor skills of folks and make their decision based on what they see.

I can't guarantee that all operators are that way, but I would certainly push the issue if I was refused.

Cheers,

I'm willing to try the Segway. My problem NOW is to talk my sister into trying it. And since it will be her birthday cruise (61 :eek: on the 16th :p ) I might need to do what she wants to do. Surprise for her if she tells me no. If she tells me no for the Segway I have a surprise for her in 2009. In 2009 I turn 60 and for my birthday cruise I plan on going horse back riding on the beach even though neither one of us has ever ridden a horse. And guess what? Yes, you guessed it - she's afraid of horses :p . Oh well so sad, too bad - we are going horseback riding in 2009.

Hi all,

I am 63 years old - my husband is 58. Last year we rode the Segways in Bermuda - first time. Then this year we rode them in Cozemel along with my first time snorkeling!! The cut off age in both places was 65.

I must say the first time it took a while to get the hang of it. You must stand with your weight evenly distributed so naturally I thought you couldn't move your feet at all. Wrong -- after an hour I realized my fee were numb. I guess that is normal considering I was nervous and tense. Then I started lifting one foot up and shaking it - then I would do the other. It helped. But the experience is incredible. A slight movement forward and you go forward - a slight movement leaning backward - you go backward. To stop you bring the handle straight upright. They have a little training session before you leave their office. They want to be sure you are ok with the machine plus they ride with you and if you have trouble they are there.

We are cruising to Bermuda again in August but I don't think we will do the segways.

Good luck in your adventure.

Margie from Canton, Ohio

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am 63 years old - my husband is 58. Last year we rode the Segways in Bermuda - first time. Then this year we rode them in Cozemel along with my first time snorkeling!! The cut off age in both places was 65.

I must say the first time it took a while to get the hang of it. You must stand with your weight evenly distributed so naturally I thought you couldn't move your feet at all. Wrong -- after an hour I realized my fee were numb. I guess that is normal considering I was nervous and tense. Then I started lifting one foot up and shaking it - then I would do the other. It helped. But the experience is incredible. A slight movement forward and you go forward - a slight movement leaning backward - you go backward. To stop you bring the handle straight upright. They have a little training session before you leave their office. They want to be sure you are ok with the machine plus they ride with you and if you have trouble they are there.

We are cruising to Bermuda again in August but I don't think we will do the segways.

Good luck in your adventure.

Margie from Canton, Ohio

THANK YOU - I'm sending this to my sister. Maybe "you" are going to be the one who just convinced my sister that she can get on one and have fun.

• 5 months later...
FYI -

Last year my sister and I wanted to do the Segway Tour (Cozumel) but the age limit stopped at 50. I'm 58 and she's 60. BUMMER. I check it today and anyone 65 and under can take that tour. Finally! I think enough people complainted and they had to come to the realization that age has nothing to do with being a responsible individual while riding on a motorized scooter.

Now if I can just remember to sign us up for this tour I will be happy!

:rolleyes: :p

@ 58 I don't tell them. Said I look in my 40's. If they don't card you act young & Go

Bob

Archived