medicine in carry-on

My wife is Diabetic and she is currently on insulin, so she has to carry around needles to take her insulin. She was wondering if she would need a letter from her doctor stating that she is on insulin and not some drug addict?

Here's the info from tsa.gov

Diabetes

twd_diabetes1.jpg

Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:

• Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;
  • Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;
  • lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;
  • Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.
  • Glucagon emergency kit;
  • Urine ketone test strips;
  • Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.
  • Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

twd_diabetes2.jpg

Insulin in any form or dispenser must be clearly identified.

If you are concerned or uncomfortable about going through the walk-through metal detector with your insulin pump, notify the Security Officer that you are wearing an insulin pump and would like a full-body pat-down and a visual inspection of your pump instead.

twd_diabetes3.jpg

Advise the Security Officer that the insulin pump cannot be removed because it is inserted with a catheter (needle) under the skin.

Advise the Security Officer if you are experiencing low blood sugar and are in need of medical assistance.

You have the option of requesting a visual inspection of your insulin and diabetes associated supplies. See the Medication section below for details.

Hi jlw016

I cannot answer your question directly. However, i have several Medical conditions that require me to carry perscription Meds. I Needed To call RCCL special needs dept On another heath Issue i have and they told me that it was a good idea to have a Doctors note For all prescription meds.

Hope this helps

ISTDS

I assume she will need a sharps container for needle disposal while onboard the ship, and YES, please do contact the special needs department for that. If you used a TA, he/she can take care of that for you.

Our friend coming with us is bringing some sort of container that keeps things cold for the insulin, she wants it in her room in case she needs it right away, not have to go ask someone to get to it.

I dont know if you are on a ship with a refrigerator in the cabins or not?

My husband also carries insulin and needles, we have a letter which we keep with our passports. He has never been stopped or questioned or for that matter he never had to show his letter on a cruise. The only place he had to and that was only once, was on a transatlantic flight. That being said get the doctor's letter, better safe than sorry. RCCL will supply a container for the used needles.

My husband uses a medicine that is given in shot form and needs to be kept cold. We do notify special needs that he needs a sharps container and the cooler/frig in our cabin turned to the coldest it can be.

Our last cruise, we got the sharps container after we asked the steward for it. DH brought his med in a carryon pack that had a freezer pack in it. When we got onboard, it was still frozen and we left the meds in that pack and put it all in the refrig. The meds stayed colder than they have in the past and I think it was because of the cold pack. Of course the frozen pack thawed out, but it remained a little colder than the water we had in the fridge.

According to special needs, we were told multiple times that if someone is using a med that needs to be refrigerated, that the regular cooler/refrig in the room is changed to something that is colder, but that has occurred. So far nothing has happened to his meds by not having them as cold as our refrig at home.

Archived