Ports of call

armobloke

:) Hi everyone,

We are going on the QE2 on 18/9/04 and have received our tickets over the weekend.

What i would like to know is something about the ports that we are visiting.The ports of call are:Lisbon,Gibralter,Corfu,kusadasi(Turkey),Naples & Malaga.

If anybody has been to any of these before i would like to know how far away they are from the main towns/beaches(especially Corfu ,Malaga).Are they within walking distance.

I have been on a Canary island cruise before and found that some of the ports were quite a long way from the main hustle and bustle.

If anybody has any helpful hints or info it would be gratefully appreciated.

Has anyone recently been on the QE2 (I.E Last couple of months or so)?

I would like to know what their thoughts are.

Cheers

We will be on the QE2 as well on 18/9/2004, but we have not received our tickets yet. I am slightly puzzled because we were expecting to visit Rhodes and not Corfu, has this been a last minute change of plan.

Cunard seem to be cutting down on courtesy coaches in recent years, but there should be one to the city centre in Malaga. Not the best beaches there though. If you are in to shopping try El Corte Ingles, great department store in centre.

David.

I can only speak about Rhodes and Kusadasi. I booked excursions through Cunard for a 2000 cruise. Enjoyed them both - but as can be expected quite pricey. I have found excursions in the Med. to be some of the most expensive.

Don't miss the chance to visit Ephesus. One place I would love to visit again. Should be mobbed with people, but absolutely amazing! Several shops in port of Kusadasi to pick up that Turkish rug too. One warning: I found the men around this area to be very aggressive towards women, more than in the other Turkish ports.

Rhodes is a wonderful city to walk around in - great little spots for lunch or just enjoying a drink in the shade.

Malaga was a port of call on my QE2 cruise last Wednesday. The shuttle bus took us to the dock gates. 5 minutes walk away from the gates is the Cathedral. Just behind that is the entrance to the Alcazaba fortress (entry fee 1.80 euros). Walk up through the fortress to enjoy the Roman remains, gardens and views down to the harbour and the ship. Well worth a visit and a good way to work off the excesses of on board dining! The beach is about halfway between ship and dock gates.

We just received our papers for this trip and noticed the Fuerteventura stop in the Canary Islands has been taken out. Instead the ship will be two days in Las Palmas. Has anyone here been on this particular trip. If so, did the ship stop in Fuerteventura? We called Cunard, but they could not give us any explanation. Why should they cancel this stop?

Also, if anyone can give us ideas about shore excursions in the Canary Islands, it would be much appreciated. We have booked shore excursions in some of the other ports, but not in the Canary Islands. Thinking of doing those on our own. My wife and I speak Spanish, so language is not a problem. Any ideas, suggestions?

Thank you,

Joe

Archived