LIVE from the SERENADE!!!

It is day 2, Monday. This ship is BEAUTIFUL. Nothing could prepare me for how gorgeous this ship is. We are a family of five, kids ages 12, 10, 8, traveling with 3 other families.

We arrived in Vancouver on Friday and wondered around. Vancouver is a pretty city, very urban. Lots of people around 25 - 30. Lots of good restaurants. We ate at Earls, which wasn't bad. Saturday we went to Grouse Mtn. The tram was expensive. I don't think it was worth it, but the kids enjoyed it. For 3 kids and myself it was $65.00. The trip getting there required two buses, and a sea bus. I must say that their public transportation is excellent and the people are very helpful and friendly. We also went to the place with an large farmers type market. I can't remember the name right now! The market was fabulous and the surrounding area was filled with shops. There was a free waterpark for the kids. They had so much fun. Saturday night we ate a Keg steak house, which was very good. Now on to our cruise experience thus far...

Embarkation was so easy. We arrived at the pier at 10:30, maybe 30 people ahead of us. We went right through registration and then waited for customs for 50 minutes. During this time you could watch the ship being loaded and they provided free sandwiches, lemonade and cookies. We were first in line for customs, which took about 1 minute. Then we had our picture taken and were onboard by 12:00! They did not check our carryon at all. You could easily take a bottle or two of wine or liquor in!

The ship is fantastic. It was fun to be among the first people on. They gave us a free Bahama Mama and off we went to explore. At 1:00 the Windjammer opened for a beautiful buffet. I was impressed. Especially good was the vegatable curry and teriyaki chicken. After that, I worked out and the kids went swimming. By the way, sign up for your excercise classes right away. They fill up fast. We played mini-golf, explored some more and met up with our friends. We all have balcony rooms on the 8th floor. The rooms are small, but with plenty of storage. Signed up for Chops and Portofinos. I have a sample menu from Portofinos which I'll post later. Tonight we go to Portofinos.

Dinner was outstanding. I will say that I love to cook, I love to eat, and I appreciate fine dining. You might say that I am picky about my food! So I was not expecting much in the way of the food. Last night, it was excellent. I had Alaskan cod with a saffron reduction, and baby green beans and small carrots. It was beautifully presented on top of garlic mashed potatoes. My husband had the ribeye with a side of shrimp ravioli with lobster sauce. He loved it. I tasted the ravioli and found it just okay, but I don't like ravioli. The appetizer we chose was a delicious vidalia onion tart. A table partner had the watermelon gazpacho. Very good and unusual. I had a Ceasar, but found that watery. Dessert was Key lime pie, White chocolate mousse, and I don't remember the other choices. I was very impresssed. I live in Los Angeles where there are lots of great restaurants. This rated right up there. I am looking forward to the rest of the week foodwise!

Yesterday was so sunny and hot! Today is overcase and gray, slightly chilly. I am sitting in the specialty coffee shop, surrounded by big windows and a view on all sides. This is fabulous!!! Today I am going to experience the rasul treatment with my husband, and have a manicure. I am also looking forward to a thermal suite. This seems like a bargain at $15.00.

I LOVE THIS SHIP!!! Will try to check in tomorrow.

Colleen

Colleen,

It sounds like you are having a great time. I love the details on the kids, fod, spa and excersize classes.

We are going next week - family of four kids 13 and 16.

So did you sign up for any classes? Do you like the instructors? Please let us know how the kids are doing. Do they like Advernture Ocean? Do they like the food? Did they dress up for formal night?

Have fun!!

Dawn

Hi Colleen -- Thanks for taking the time to share your cruise with us! My son and I will be on Serenade next June 5th (seems like forever...). Was the farmer's market place in Vancouver Granville Island (Granville Place?). We'll be flying up the day before (also from L.A.), and that's one of the things I'd like to see. Where did you stay? I'm starting to research hotels, flights, etc. and any advice would be very welcome.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time! I'd especially like to know how your older kids like Adventure Ocean. My son will be 15 when we'll be on Serenade, and I'm hoping the teen program will be better than the one on Monarch of the Seas. Also, if you do any excursions I'd like to hear about those as well.

Hi Dawn -- also wishing you smooth sailing. I'd love to hear how your 16-year-old likes the cruise, and any other experiences/advice you want to share upon your return.

Thanks!

Laurie

Laurie - I'm not sure if Colleen went to Granville Island (sounds like it) indeed but that is Vancouver's large farmer's market. The food there is awesome, and most of the top chefs in the city go there daily for their products. If you're into artsy artisan style crafts, this is the place to be. My concierge referred me there on my last trip, and I spent TOO much money!

I think it's interesting reading Colleen's post since she has children on board. (I have posted one as well.)

Colleen - did you get a towel animal last night? RCCL sells the stuffed animal version in the gift shop but no one I've talked to has received one in their room. What seating are you on - early? Happy cruising!

Jen -- Uh oh. I love farmer's markets AND artisan style crafts so I'll already be in big trouble even before I set foot on Serenade! Yes, I think it's great that both you and Colleen are reporting "live" for all of us. You're a terrific writer and I know I'll enjoy reading your posts as the week progresses.:)

Laurie

There is a smaller farmers market at the seabus termininal in North Vancouver, on your way to Grouse Mountain. I think this is the one she is talking of. If you walk up 1 block and head right 1 1/2 blocks there is an awesome desert/tea/coffee place. The cheesecake is to die for. I think the street is Esplanade...it runs east west. The place is just east of Lonsdale which runs North South.

The sky train at Burrard and Dunsmuir approx...will take you west to the seabus or east to Metro town mall in Burnaby. If you are USA folks you may want to do some shopping and this mall is huge. The cost of the skytrain is $3.00 for adults and includes the sea bus. The ticket lasts 2 hours so you may have to purchase a return ticket if you are riding after this period. The skytrain stops at Waterfront station and you can check out the Canada Place Cruise Terminal..short walk. RCI docks at Ballentyne pier which requires a taxi, it is more out of the way. Don't forget to check out Granville and Robson streets in downtown Vancouver.

Colleen- how great it is to get a chance to read from 2 different posters on the same cruise! I was on the 8/1 Serenade and had a fabulous time! Went to the same restaurant you went to in Vancouver, too (Keg's)- very yummy! Just curious, who do you have for a waiter, asst., and head waiter?

Also, if you haven't gone to the Meet and Mingle yet, please say hi to Barbara (bdoster) for me. If you have gone but happen to see her again, please tell her I said hi and hope that she has a WONDERFUL cruise! Please keep up the great posts!!! It's like reliving the cruise all over again! Enjoy the glacier tomorrow- absolutely breath-taking! :)

Here's to a great remainder of the cruise - and wanted to second your feelings on Vancouver. It tops the list of favorite cities I have visited. Spent the weekend their prior to my first cruise a few years back. I've been itching to return ever since!

Thank you for the great info on Vancouver. I think we'll be staying downtown, so I'll be sure to check out Robson Street. I'm already wishing that we could spend more than just one afternoon/evening in Vancouver, but my son doesn't get out of school until June 3rd, the ship departs June 5th, and he needs to be back for baseball camp on June 13th!! Still, we'll do our best to see as much as we can and plan a second, longer trip for the future!

Laurie

Jen or Colleen,

If either of you do any shopping on the ship, could you tell me if any of the stores sell a jacket- one that says Royal Caribbean or Serenade would be great- that are like a microfiber on the outside or some kind of water repellent and lined with fleece on the inside? We leave Sunday and I cannot decide whether to take my coat or not. We are doing a float trip in Skagway that I understand can be pretty cold. If they sell those jackets on the ship, I will just buy one if I need it since I like them anyway and leave the coat at home.

Thanks for the help! I am loving both of your reviews! Thanks so much for sharing your trips with us! We leave for Vancouver Thursday morning and I am counting the hours.

Mary

I assume she's talking about Lattetudes, which is on Deck 5, starboard side, right near the shops.

Thanks! The way it was described ...the specialty coffee shop, surrounded by big windows and a view on all sides. This is fabulous!!! , I thought she was somewhere up on deck with surrounding views.

I loved the comment ...They gave us a free Bahama Mama and off we went. I wonder if they have checked their bill. LOL If they were free, I can't wait to board! ;)

When we boarded on August 1st, we were given free small samples of Bahamamamas or fruit punch. For an Alaskan cruise, I think RCI needs to come up with better names for their drinks (i.e., Vancouver Vice, Hubbard Highball, Juneau Julep, Skagwaytini, Betcha Ketchikan Cocktail, something like that). :) Drinks like "Sex on the Beach", Bahamamamas, Hurricanes, etc. just seem sacrilegious in Alaska. :D

Hi Nancy,

I say "go for it" re the re-naming of the drinks! On the other hand, when I read "free Bahama mama" my heart skipped a beat because that is one of the few "umbrella" drinks I drink anymore, and the one I bought the minute I set foot on Monarch of the Seas. The best part was seeing my son's face and hearing him bellow "Mom, you're drinking ALREADY???" Ahhhh...teenagers. ;)

Laurie

Jen or Colleen,

If either of you do any shopping on the ship, could you tell me if any of the stores sell a jacket- one that says Royal Caribbean or Serenade would be great- that are like a microfiber on the outside or some kind of water repellent and lined with fleece on the inside?

/QUOTE]

Here's what I've found. They sell a fleece pullover or zip up that is $29.99, however it says "Pure Alaska". The only three SOS items were: a navy fleece sweatshirt (about $60), a red sweatshirt with SOS (about $58), and a RCCL heavyweight sweatshirt ($38). There was not much selection. There was a pullover but I wouldn't even call it a windbreaker, and it only had the crown and anchor symbol.

Jen

Jen or Colleen,

If either of you do any shopping on the ship, could you tell me if any of the stores sell a jacket- one that says Royal Caribbean or Serenade would be great- that are like a microfiber on the outside or some kind of water repellent and lined with fleece on the inside?

/QUOTE]

Here's what I've found. They sell a fleece pullover or zip up that is $29.99, however it says "Pure Alaska". The only three SOS items were: a navy fleece sweatshirt (about $60), a red sweatshirt with SOS (about $58), and a RCCL heavyweight sweatshirt ($38). There was not much selection. There was a pullover but I wouldn't even call it a windbreaker, and it only had the crown and anchor symbol.

Jen

Thanks for the info Jen. That tells me exactly what I needed to know. How disappointing that there is not more selection. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your review. We leave in the morning!

Thanks again,

Mary

Mary - if you see this before your cruise, Happy Cruising! We'll leave her in good shape for you! Two of my people did get jackets with fleece lining for $40 but again, it's "Pure Alaska".

I forgot to report on my other post that the folks who did the Skagway Glacier Flightseeing/Dogsledding combo had the time of their lives. They can't rave enough about it!

Archived