13 weeks and still no passports

oraf7

I called my Town Hall where they were processed and waiting to hear from them. The worst part is my Birth Certificates went with the applications. Since end of March to me is ridiculously enough time.

My granddaughter has been waiting for fourteen weeks and wait time on the phone each time she calls to check is a minimum of forty minutes! If Apple can hire 2000 additional employees in anticipation of its introduction of the new IPhone, you'd think the government would have anticipated and made accommodation for the thousands of travelers applying for passports in compliance with the new regulations.

To both of you I say call your congressman to help push it through. This is part of what they are there for.

http://http://www.house.gov/ You can get contact info for your Representative by entering your ZIP code in the top left, or finding them by name in the top center. Be sure to say "I am a constituent" or "I live in Representative X's district" when you contact the office.

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is the reason for this re-issue and if your passport does not arrive before your leaving date, you cannot leave the US? Crikey.

We've been dealing with the passport nightmare all week. It's been 13 weeks since we applied for ours. We actually went into our congressman's office yesterday, and they were really helpful. They were able to find out which agency they were sent to, and we were told that if we don't receive them by the 10th of July (One week before our trip to Italy) that we can go to an emergency passport office in our state, and they will be ready that day. However, you have to have a copy of your birth certificates, and you have to pay the fees again. They'll eventually reimburse you for that, but who knows when. So the visit to your representative's office is a must, otherwise I'm afraid that you won't get them for awhile!

I just went on line to check the status of our passports, and it FINALLY said that they have been mailed to us and would arrive around 7/3. I don't know if it's a fluke that we just called our congressman and now they're finished, but it doesn't hurt to try...

My granddaughter has been waiting for fourteen weeks and wait time on the phone each time she calls to check is a minimum of forty minutes! If Apple can hire 2000 additional employees in anticipation of its introduction of the new IPhone, you'd think the government would have anticipated and made accommodation for the thousands of travelers applying for passports in compliance with the new regulations.

Apple isn't hiring 2000 people - AT&T is hiring them. :)

Also, it's iPhone :p

And I'll let you know how it is Friday night!!! ;)

To both of you I say call your congressman to help push it through. This is part of what they are there for.

And we got our passports 3 days later from fed x ---wow what service when you make a few phone calls ,dont hesitate to call your local congressman at all :)

Why the passport recall though, what is being done to them?

Its not a recall ... we must renew our passports every 10 years. The current problem, however comes of a new Homeland Security (love that name:D ) requirement that we have passports for travel to nearby areas where they were not previously required. Many 100,000s suddenly needed passports where they had not previously needed them. The State Department is not, of course, consulted by Homeland Security before such rule changes so a big overload resulted.

How Long Will it Take to Process a Passport Application?

Updated Processing Times

Passport Services is busy as Americans plan for summer trips. The best advice for when to apply is, “Apply Early!” Or even “now’” if you might be checking out deals on airfare or hotels outside the U.S.

If you are traveling or need your passport in order to get a visa within the next 2 weeks, please call us at the National Passport Information Center or use the link below to check the status of your application online.

If you have already applied but will not need your passport within the next two weeks:

There should be no need to contact us at this time. Our goal is to make sure that no one misses a trip. We have added staff and are working overtime across the country.

Checking the status of your application: You can check the status of your application online. Currently, it is taking 7-10 days for applications to be tracked online, less if you paid for Expedited Service and sent your application via overnight delivery. Please allow that much time before contacting us to check on your application.

If you applyAnd ChooseYou will receive your passport within about

At a Passport Acceptance Facility*

or

By Mail (for renewal, additional pages, and amendment) Routine Service10-12 Weeks**Expedited Service

Plus Overnight delivery service for:

Sending your application and Returning your passport to you 2-3 Weeks***

*One of 8,000+ facilities accepting passport applications, such as your local post office, municipal office, courthouse, library. (See Where to Apply for Passports Nationwide )

** Routine Service: Currently, it is taking up to 10-12 weeks to receive your passport from the date you applied. If you are not traveling within the next 2 weeks, please check the status of your application online, keeping in mind that it is taking approximately 7-10 days for our system to start tracking your application. If you are traveling within the next 2 weeks, please call or email the National Passport Information Center.

***Expedite Service: Currently, Expedite Service takes 2-3 weeks to receive your passport from the date you applied. It may take longer for customers who apply for a renewal by mail without “Expedite” marked on the mailing envelope. If you haven’t received your passport and are traveling within the next 7 days , please call or email the National Passport Information Center.

NOTE:

• THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR AN APPOINTMENT AT A PASSPORT AGENCY. CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT PAY ANYONE OR ANY BUSINESS MAKING SUCH A CHARGE.
  • Passport Agencies assist customers with urgent travel needs (generally if you are traveling within 2 weeks) and require proof of departure.
  • Most Passport Agencies are open by appointment only and require proof of your travel date or need for foreign visas. See List of Regional Passport Agencies .

U.S. citizens traveling by air to the following destinations must follow these instructions for proof that a passport application has been received by the Department of State and is still being processed as part of the recently announced Temporary Travel Flexibility for U.S. Citizens with Pending Passport Applications:

• Canada,
  • Mexico,
  • Bermuda, or
  • the Caribbean.

You must keep a printout of your passport application status for departure from the U.S. and for re-entry into the U.S. Some countries included above may still require a passport or other additional documentation. Please see the Consular Information Sheet on the country you are traveling to for more information

Send in DD for her renewal April 2 and checking on-line it finally stated being processed just last week. When having heard about the nightmares of length of time to process we went ahead for her renewal even though it wasn't expired until August - didn't want to chance our November sailing.

I'm glad to hear about those of you who are finally receiving your renewals!

I sent mine in on April 17th in anticipation of our September 1st departure (the Tahitian for 12 days). I knew about needing to get it in early, and I foolishly thought that 4 1/2 months should be more than early enough. But, I've recently started sweatin' it.

Keepin' my fingers crossed and, as suggested, I will not hesitate to call my Congressman if it takes too much longer.

Now ..., where did I put those relaxation tapes ...? :rolleyes:

How Long Will it Take to Process a Passport Application?

Updated Processing Times

Passport Services is busy as Americans plan for summer trips. The best advice for when to apply is, “Apply Early!” Or even “now’” if you might be checking out deals on airfare or hotels outside the U.S.

If you are traveling or need your passport in order to get a visa within the next 2 weeks, please call us at the National Passport Information Center or use the link below to check the status of your application online.

If you have already applied but will not need your passport within the next two weeks:

There should be no need to contact us at this time. Our goal is to make sure that no one misses a trip. We have added staff and are working overtime across the country.

Checking the status of your application: You can check the status of your application online. Currently, it is taking 7-10 days for applications to be tracked online, less if you paid for Expedited Service and sent your application via overnight delivery. Please allow that much time before contacting us to check on your application.

If you applyAnd ChooseYou will receive your passport within about

At a Passport Acceptance Facility*

or

By Mail (for renewal, additional pages, and amendment) Routine Service10-12 Weeks**Expedited Service

Plus Overnight delivery service for:

Sending your application and Returning your passport to you 2-3 Weeks***

*One of 8,000+ facilities accepting passport applications, such as your local post office, municipal office, courthouse, library. (See Where to Apply for Passports Nationwide )

** Routine Service: Currently, it is taking up to 10-12 weeks to receive your passport from the date you applied. If you are not traveling within the next 2 weeks, please check the status of your application online, keeping in mind that it is taking approximately 7-10 days for our system to start tracking your application. If you are traveling within the next 2 weeks, please call or email the National Passport Information Center.

***Expedite Service: Currently, Expedite Service takes 2-3 weeks to receive your passport from the date you applied. It may take longer for customers who apply for a renewal by mail without “Expedite” marked on the mailing envelope. If you haven’t received your passport and are traveling within the next 7 days , please call or email the National Passport Information Center.

NOTE:

• THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR AN APPOINTMENT AT A PASSPORT AGENCY. CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT PAY ANYONE OR ANY BUSINESS MAKING SUCH A CHARGE.
  • Passport Agencies assist customers with urgent travel needs (generally if you are traveling within 2 weeks) and require proof of departure.
  • Most Passport Agencies are open by appointment only and require proof of your travel date or need for foreign visas. See List of Regional Passport Agencies .

U.S. citizens traveling by air to the following destinations must follow these instructions for proof that a passport application has been received by the Department of State and is still being processed as part of the recently announced Temporary Travel Flexibility for U.S. Citizens with Pending Passport Applications:

• Canada,
  • Mexico,
  • Bermuda, or
  • the Caribbean.

You must keep a printout of your passport application status for departure from the U.S. and for re-entry into the U.S. Some countries included above may still require a passport or other additional documentation. Please see the Consular Information Sheet on the country you are traveling to for more information

I suggest mounting an e-mail campaign as the 1st action. I began that right away, we did overnight,expedited but it didn't show that way and my husband's renewal did not show at all. However with all my e-mails we got them back in 12 & 13 days. (renewals)

My husband applied for his passport in mid February....he received it exactly 14 weeks 4 days from application date. They will return old passports or birth certificates when your passport is sent.

Also, a friend paid for an expedited passport late May...took 4 week 2 days to arrive.

Good luck

I sent in my passport for renewal with expedited service ($60 extra) on Monday June 25 and received it back today Thursday July 5. I think the $60 is worth getting it back in less than two weeks. The passport also includes the elctronic chip. My husband received his passport in January and it didn't include the chip so they must have started including it since January.

And we got our passports 3 days later from fed x ---wow what service when you make a few phone calls ,dont hesitate to call your local congressman at all :)

You'd think they'd use the U.S. Postal Service.

Oh - they probably know better. :rolleyes:

I applied for my Passport in March and still have not received it. Since my trip is to Alaska and the gov't has changed the rules (I just need to present the online receipt that I applied along with photo I.D.) I'm safe. Otherwise, I'd have had no hesitancy to call my Congressman.

Put my tax dollars to work!

Can anyone give me the exact e-mail address to use for follow-up on passports? When I'm on the site, there's a form you can fill out, but I really cant find the exact e-mail address to send an e-mail to.........

Thanks -

The email address that is on the passport application instructions for inquiries is: NPIC@state.gov.

Thank you so much for that info........

I actually called my Congressman's office today. The person "handling" passport questions took all my info said he would make a call, and get back to me. He called me back in around 20 minutes.

Our 3 passports are in Philadelphia (we're in Northern NJ), and he said THEY WERE WORKING ON THEM TODAY. What a coincidence, huh? He said he can't put an official Congressional Expedite on it until 2 weeks before we travel, but he's confident I'll get them before that. If not, I'm to call him back and he'll make the official request.

As I explained to him, we were told 10 weeks to get them, and gave ourselves 20 weeks time! They cashed our checks many, many weeks ago and have our original birth certificates. I don't feel the least bit bad about taking someone's time in my Congressman's office to follow-up on this.

Sorry, but I still think this entire passport "situation" is ridiculous. If a private company handled their business in this manner they'd have hell to pay!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived