Have you noticed great sales or lower prices any time of year?

EmmaJean

Have you noticed great sales or lower prices any time of the year?

Here are two examples of what I'm talking about:

In May we received a previous cruiser letter for upgrades to a balcony for the cost of an inside room on select sailings in 2007. (Like to Mexico) We aren't going to be able to afford another cruise until at least 2008-so we're wondering if they may do something like that again?

We just finished our Alaskan cruise in June the we purchased in February for basically the highest price they ever posted. Others in our group purchased in December and October. The couple that purchased in October saved about $500pp over the December ones on their balcony. Looking for 2008, the prices are even higher than for this year.

I'm very open as to where we will go on our next cruise, I'm just hoping I can find a cheap balcony to somewhere. We were thinking Mexico, New England, the Caribbean or even a repositioning cruise for 2008.

Is there ever a slow time in cruise sales where they drop prices?

If you wait until after final payment for a specific cruise, if there is availability - the prices will usually be discounted.

For example - many May/June Alaska sailings went for $350 - $450 (inside/outside) and $6xx for a balcony after final payment.

I usually wait until after final payment to book most of my cruises. Though I am not picky cabin wise.

Final payments are due 75 days before most sailings, and 90 days prior to holiday cruises over Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year. You can also look at cruises during slower travel times, like October-December and January-March. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are typically the slowest travel season no matter the destination and you can often find very good pricing.

The only offset to waiting until the last minute to book is that airfares are often a lot higher than if you had booked earlier.

In my case, they are not. Our best prices are 2 months out. Anything 6 months out is full fare.

Have you noticed great sales or lower prices any time of the year?

Here are two examples of what I'm talking about:

In May we received a previous cruiser letter for upgrades to a balcony for the cost of an inside room on select sailings in 2007. (Like to Mexico) We aren't going to be able to afford another cruise until at least 2008-so we're wondering if they may do something like that again?

We just finished our Alaskan cruise in June the we purchased in February for basically the highest price they ever posted. Others in our group purchased in December and October. The couple that purchased in October saved about $500pp over the December ones on their balcony. Looking for 2008, the prices are even higher than for this year.

I'm very open as to where we will go on our next cruise, I'm just hoping I can find a cheap balcony to somewhere. We were thinking Mexico, New England, the Caribbean or even a repositioning cruise for 2008.

Is there ever a slow time in cruise sales where they drop prices?

I have found that the least expensive Caribbean cruise can be obtained the week or 2 after Thanksgiving. We've been on 8 Princess cruises; 7 to the Caribbean and the last one to the Mexican Riviera. We used to cruise in April then tried the week after Thanksgiving and found low prices. We always pick the Baja deck, balcony stateroom near the rear. That's 2 - 3 decks under the Horizon Court and pool deck. Also fairly close to the laundermat in case you need to wash some things. Easy walk up to Horizon, easy walk down, if elevators are too crowded. Also, directly above most of their ships dining rooms. 8 of us are cruising the Caribbean this fall on the Emerald, 11/26 - 12/6, 10 days, total per couple. through cruise compete - $2688.00. The only problem for us is we're out of Denver and need to fly Sunday, ( last day of Thanksgiving Holiday - VERY high airfare )! Hurricane season over! Have cruised 56 days, either in April or Nov./Dec. - 1/2 day of rain!!

I've found that it'a not so much WHEN you book, but when you want to CRUISE. Any cruise, anywhere, between the 1st of Nov and the week before Christmas is usually less expensive than that same cruise at other times of the year. We figured this our early on so now we almost always cruise in the fall.

Of course there are some great prices available during hurricane season (just be sure and buy insurance!!). Back in May NCL had an amazing 7 night Boston to Bermuda deal. I think it was 299 for inside and 349 for OV.

It also seems there used to be some really good prices over the Thanksgiving holiday, but that trend seems to be changing somewhat. Probably too many people realizing how nice it is to have someone else cook and clean up!

When is it considered to be Hurricane Season?

Hurricane is officially from June 1 through November 30. However, a rare one has been known to come as early as May and as late as December.

These are the dates for the North Atlantic, Caribbean and Mexican hurricanes.

Princess is now having a sale on their December cruises.

Although hurricane season starts June 1 and ends November 30, the most active months are August and September.

I booked our last three cruises after final payment. All three were holiday cruises--one for Christmas and New Year's, and the other two just Christmas. If you can be flexible as to which ship you take, waiting can pay off. I know we paid considerably less than people who booked before final payment date.

Wow! That's half the year!

Is the sale for December 2007?

Normally, you can find less expensive cruises the first and second week in December. Right before the holidays but not including the holidays of Christmas or New Years. Definitely lower prices during that timeframe on many sailings.

Too bad my husband works in the retail industry. He works 6 days a week November 1-January. No vacations allowed during the Christmas rush! We won't be able to cruise then anyways-and our anniversary is even in December.:( There are always other benefits of course. :)

Archived