Venice (Docking) Questions

We’re on the Brilliance of the Seas, schedule to be docked in Venice from 1 PM July 25 till 5 PM July 26.

Can I assume that we can just walk on and off the ship at any time during that period of time? So if we choose to take an after dinner stroll at 10PM, it would not be a problem?

OK – I guess that leads to the next question – what is the dock area like? Is it an easy and safe walk from the docks to the city? With Venice so dependant on tourist trade, I’d like to assume the streets are fairly safe (pick pockets notwithstanding) but then again, I try not to make too many assumptions. I’ve heard that a vaporetto down the Grand Canal at sunset is a wonderful idea – what about a gondola ride by moonlight?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Terry

It's been awhile since I was in Venice on a cruise ship, but the dock we were tied to wasn't really that close to "downtown". Also, the gondolas (at that time) disappeared at sunset (they all go home). My husband proposed to me on a gondola, and we had to search for about 30 minutes to even find one out at sunset.... As I remember it, but more recent cruisers will have a better view, I wouldn't walk around Venice at 10:00 pm by myself (or with one other person). Our ship did stay overnight, but we were so tired after walking the first day (and there was that whole getting engaged thing), that we had dinner and stayed on the ship...

We’re on the Brilliance of the Seas' date=' schedule to be docked in Venice from 1 PM July 25 till 5 PM July 26.

Can I assume that we can just walk on and off the ship at any time during that period of time? So if we choose to take an after dinner stroll at 10PM, it would not be a problem?

OK – I guess that leads to the next question – what is the dock area like? Is it an easy and safe walk from the docks to the city? With Venice so dependant on tourist trade, I’d like to assume the streets are fairly safe (pick pockets notwithstanding) but then again, I try not to make too many assumptions. I’ve heard that a vaporetto down the Grand Canal at sunset is a wonderful idea – what about a gondola ride by moonlight?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Terry[/quote']

If the Brillance is docked at the Maritime Terminal, it is not in the city. You will need a Pass for the Water Bus. Princess provided them automatically and had shuttles there for its passengers. However, the independent water bus stand is at the corner of the terminal building depending on what side you are docked at, it's a little hard to explain but not hard to find. It is about a 30 minute sail each way from San Marco's Square stop. Our ship allowed us to be off until 1 AM. Disembarkation for those with early flights started about 3 AM for passengers.

We pre-booked a Sunset Gondola Seranade tour for 7:30PM. This is the link:

http://www.viator.com/Venice/d522-ttd?mmod=HO-Find-8

Keep in mind your credit card is charged (but in US Dollars) and you MUST bring the voucher which you print out. The location is next to the Gritti Palace which wasn't too hard to find. Just get there early (no later than 7) as the line forms fast after that. They take about 6 to 8 gondola's with one 8 seater that has a soloist and accordian player. Our cost was $50US pp. Land cost for this tour was about $45E which is definetly more expensive.

In the afternoon for a break, go up to the Cafe Danelli on the top of Hotel Danelli for a drink. The view is very nice. However, it will cost you.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

• 2 months later...

We will be boarding in Venice on Nov 9th. We set sail on the 10th. What time is the gangway open during the night? We are supposed to meet friends in Venice for dinner and was wondering what our 'curfew' will be?

It looks like most restaurants are not open until about 7-7:30. I have never been to Europe, but I understand that dinner is much later than here.

So I am curious to how your cruise was and what the time was to be back on board ?

Were you able to stay out late and get back onthe ship ?

I am going on the Emerald in May 08 and would like to spend a leisurely night in Venice also.

thanks !!

Barbara

Barbara,

You may want to read my trip report - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=609979

I'd add: We arrived in Venice about 1 PM and took the RCI shuttle to the St. Marks area upon arrival, and spend a long day all over town. Bought a 24 hour Vaporatto pass. The entire city is only about 2 miles across, so it is walk-able, the issue is knowing where to walk!! We had a pair of good maps showing the bus routes & stops (the result of a couple of well spent hours at Barnes & Noble back home) – just did not have the cruise ship docks on them (duh )

We ended up getting a Vaporetto to the train station and then walking (shopping) our way to Piazza Roma (stop #1 as I recall) but had difficulty figuring out what route to walk to get to our ship. Finally got it all straight with the help of some locals, and made it home safely by about 8:30 (was getting to be dusk – but that was July).

If you plan on returning to your ship on foot, I’d suggest you leave that way! In our case, once having found our way on foot - we knew the way, and the next day walked off the ship and directly to the Vaporetto station – no problem.

Bottom line - check with your ship about returning to the ship late in the evening. If you don't plan on using the ships shuttle to return, then don't use it to leave so you'll be sure to know the way home on foot.

Barbara, I too wrote a complete Emerald Princess review in the Member Review section. We were so exhausted after our day wondering around Venice when we first arrived that we took the ship's shuttle boat back to the Maritime terminal at about 8:30PM. It was just getting dark mid-June. We ate dinner on-board ship that evening, as we were staying in Venice two nights post cruise. As mentioned, meals in Venice are very expensive; avg. $100 with a bottle of wine at the tinyest cafe's.

Our Locanda made the dinner reservations for us for 7:30PM. After a day of touring mostly on foot, I couldn't imagine staying up much later than 10 to 11 PM at night. Do watch the pickpockets and 'sellers' of knock-off bags. It won't take long to figure out they are not locals.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Thanks NanaTravel..

we decided not to stay in Venice any extra time due to finances..but I am still looking forward to enjoying it every minute we can!

thanks again

Barbara

PS we used to call my Grandmother Nana.. so hearing that name brings back fond memories. :)

Archived