Jamaica

Momma Mojito

There are many cruisers who love Jamaica. We're not one of them:rolleyes:

However, as long as people sign up for the cruises that include Jamaica the cruise lines have no reason to stop going there.

I wonder if the recent attack of the tour group will have any effect on the lines going there? I actually doubt it since it was not well covered by the media.

Charlie

My son visited Jamaica in the early nineties on a cruise and he hated it then! From what he told us and what I am hearing it looks like not much has changed. Here is another story that makes me leary about touring the island. My gynelcologist was there on vacation about fifteen years ago and someone tried to break into their hotel room and rob his wife and him. They shot him through the door, he survived but today he is paralized from the waist down. So I guess I have reason not to be overly eager to see Jamaica

However, as long as people sign up for the cruises that include Jamaica the cruise lines have no reason to stop going there.

It didn't include it when I first signed up. I had no idea so many thought it was unsafe, once they switched our port, until recently. My daughter had been there 7 years ago, and they felt safe.

There are many cruisers who love Jamaica. We're not one of them:rolleyes:

I wonder if the recent attack of the tour group will have any effect on the lines going there? I actually doubt it since it was not well covered by the media.

Charlie

What recent attack on a tour group?? We were just there on 6/20.

How safe is Jamaica is a great question. However some have raised an even bigger question. It received very little coverage in the US news and no travel warnings have been issued about Jamaica. Why?

We are from Canada and in the last year there have numerous killings of Canadians in Mexico, most notably Cancun. This has received some coverage in our National NEWS however the Government has done very little to help the families of the victims.

One of our National TV stations has a program W5, similar to 60 minutes and it showed the cover up and mishandling of the cases by the Mexican authorities.

The main point was big American and Canadian business how owns the resorts and cruise lines and have billions of dollars tied up will not allow changes until pushed by the travellers them self by not going to these places. And don't expect much help or support from your government.

I feel like I have to put my two cents in here - I just got back from Jamaica, although not from a cruise but a Sandals vacation. I was in Ocho Rios, and this past Saturday, spent the day at the Island Village, which is located near the cruise dock. Island Village is a safe, Disneyfied shopping and dining experience...I truly believe that all of you will enjoy your time here and will not feel threatened at any time. I am one that likes to experience the local culture and am open minded when it comes to traveling to foreign locales, so after Island Village, I ventured out and walked across the street to the Taj Mahal shopping area. I experienced nothing of the sort of danger I had previously read about here on CC and other boards regarding this area. Me and my bf were never hassled or approached by anyone...granted this was not a busy day and the street was sparsely populated, but we never felt threatened at any time. Sorry for rambling but I feel that Jamaica gets a bad rap - yes it is an impoverished country, but it's beautiful and the Jamaicans are genuinely nice. If you show them respect, they will show you the same - I did not want to leave Jamaica as I have never felt so heartwarmed and welcomed by the local people anywhere else I have been. I can not wait to go "back home!"

Are Island Village and Taj Mahal very close to the ship (easy walking distance)? That would be good. My family can get off the ship and do some easy shopping without have to do an excursion.

Are Island Village and Taj Mahal very close to the ship (easy walking distance)? That would be good. My family can get off the ship and do some easy shopping without have to do an excursion.

The Island Village and Taj Mahal are within a one minute walk of each other. The Taj Mahal will be on your left as you exit the street side of Island Village. I am not sure how far it is from the ship...though I am guessing less than 10 minutes - someone else can provide a better estimate.

Were ships in the port on those days? I was told the wierd stuff happens on those days, when many head to the dock to hawk their wares.

I hope it is safer than what I've been hearing. My kids/grands are very precious to me, and I want them to be safe.

Were ships in the port on those days? I was told the wierd stuff happens on those days, when many head to the dock to hawk their wares.

I hope it is safer than what I've been hearing. My kids/grands are very precious to me, and I want them to be safe.

DMRick, I don't know if you're question was intended for me...but I'll answer based on my experience. The ships were not in port while I was there, so you're right, I may have had a different experience. I was actually surprised at how relatively empty the whole area was...so I'm sure on port days, most of the locals do come to the dock. Yes, their "aggressiveness" may be overwhelming, as many on this board have stated. At the Sandals resort I stayed at, they were on the other side of the fence on the beach all day, every day calling out to everyone to buy their wares. I came with an open mind and eagerness to talk with the locals, so we ventured to "the other side." Yes, they were pretty desperate for us to buy something, as this is how they survive...I did buy some jewelry and for the rest of our stay, they never bothered us again. But most importantly, we treated each other like human beings...for the rest of our stay, whenever we saw each other, we bumped fists with RESPECT.

To all who are worried about going ashore, only you can make that decision because safety is always of utmost importance...my thoughts are that if you do go ashore, go with an open mind and realize that Jamaica is not what you're used to.

We have been there a couple of times over the last 30 years or so, the most recent being about 3 years ago. While we never felt threatened while we were there, the recent reports have us wondering whether we should stay on the ship this time. I guess we will just wait and see. It is a shame, because we really like Dunn's River Falls. :confused:

We just returned from W. Caribb. cruise aboard Carnival Triumph. We were in Ocho Rios on Thursday. Did an excursion 1.5 hours from port. Had an awesome time and NEVER once felt unsafe. This was our first cruise visit. We've done 10 week long land trips to JA since 1998 including 3 with our teenage daughter. Again we've never felt unsafe there. The robbery was unfortunate and very frightening for those envolved. Crime happens everythere. If we stopped traveling to any country including our own because of crime there would be no place to go. You have a choice to choose your own vacation itenerary. If we felt JA was unsafe we wouldn't go.

We stopped in Jamaica at the end of April while on the Star Princess and I never felt unsafe while there. DH and my father went back to the ship after our excursion with Phil Lafayette and my mother and I went to Island Village to shop. Let me say we were never hassled to buy stuff. Yes they politely asked but a simple no thanks was all that was needed.

Now if you are nervous about pushy vendors then avoid cozumel. I was walking down the street once again with my mother and someone offered us to go the their store we said no thanks (it was a jewelry store and we weren't looking for jewelry) and they took my arm and led me in. That did not happen only once.

I think Jamaica is as safe as anywhere else and I won't hesitate to go back there. I may avoid cozumel though, or just stay on the ship.

Can anyone tell me why the cruise ships keep going to Jamaica if it is so dangerous? This is our eighth cruise and we have never done a western Caribbean but now I'm not so sure I want to leave the ship!

Because it isn't any more dangerous than any big city in the U.S.

Everyone thinks differently but in my opinion I feel safer in Jamaica than Mexico. Not to say I wouldn't go to Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to this site and am taking my first cruise in August on the Carnival Conquest. Our first stop is Montego Bay and this is the only stop that we don't have an excursion planned. Not because Ive heard anything bad about the place since today is the first Ive heard that it was unsafe but because I wanted to play it by ear. I kinda wanted to go over to Doctors cave beach for awhile and then take a walk to Margaritaville. My son is adamant that I check it out while I'm there and he's right how often does one have the chance to visit Jimmy Buffets "Margaritaville"? But now I am reconsidering because of the things Ive read here.

Is making the trip to Margaritaville something I should really reconsider? As I stated this is my first cruise and I don't want anything to take away from the experience and certainly don't want to put myself and my BF in any dangerous situation. If I have to I can stay aboard the ship and still enjoy myself since its all so new to me.

Anyone have any suggestions or input for me? PLEASE.

We did the Doctor cave beach and Margaritaville last year. The beach was nice and everyone was very helpful and kind, but on the walk to Margaritaville (very close) we got bombared with taxi cab driver wanting to take us to other places and Margaritaville is not like the Margaritaville in Orlando(Universal Studios).....when we went it was dirty, the main area was mainly a crowded dance floor. It was very hard to maneuver around and the gift shop was very small .

This trip we'll be trying sunset beach...I think:)

I posted this in another thread where folks were expressing fear about visiting Jamaica:

I've vacationed MANY times in Jamaica and never had any problems. I do recall that on my first visit a Rastaman tried to sell me some Ganja within earshot of a customs agent! That was the extent of the difficulties I've had.

I love the Jamaican people. Seeing the young Jamaican kids, decked out in their school uniforms, with their clean, smiling faces enjoying interacting with the tourists has always been a treat. "Yes, sir. No, sir. Yes, Mame. No, Mame." Polite to a fault and thrilled to have their pictures taken, these kids are gems.

Sure, there's bad apples in Jamaica. Where aren't there any? Let me know and I'm booking a cruise for there right now. I can't think of a single resort town anywhere that hasn't had it's share of crime. Unfortunately, this incident happened recently and got a bunch of press.

I'm going back to Jamaica in September and I'll be going back again next year.

Irie!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=587674

There is a great deal of unfounded concern about travel in Jamaica. Think about the closest medium to large city near you. How many folks are robbed, mugged, beaten or murdered during any one week period? I suspect that crime on tourists is no worse in Jamaica than it is in Washington DC, Miami, or New York, perhaps lower.

Don't be swayed by one incident. Don't condemn the entire population because of the actions of a few rotten apples.

Archived