Taking Wine on Board

beemer66

Like you, we both drink in moderation and a little more on vacation since we can't have a Corona at lunch in reality!!!

oh sure you can. it will be our little secret. just keep some peanut butter handy to mask the beer breath.

hehehehehe

Do they check you every time you come back onto the ship from a port? I was thinking of buying some of my favorite alcohol in Greece to bring back home with me... but does this mean that I couldn't do that?

You can do that - they do scan all packages when you reboard - they will hold your greek favorites until the last night and then you can pack them to take home.

Well said, Nythorn!

I totally agree!

We all put money over the bar, and there is nothing wrong in not paying inflated prices if you want to have a nightcap in your cabin.

Well said again, Sir, from your friend in England!

that whole bit about "it's for consumption in our room". i guess that could work for the boxed wines, right? i mean...who would actually bring a box of Franzia to the dining rooms. i mean...that would be pretty lame, right?

i too am not looking to break the rules. i'll pay the corkage. but when you are in your stateroom...it's just nice to have a drink. i rarely drink anything non-alcoholic when cruising....so you know what my weekly bill ends up being...and i think i'm on the low end.

Beleive it or not there was a big disussion about this about 6 months or a year ago. Someone actually said they say nothing wrong with a box of Franzia or Peter V. Of course I put my 3 cents worth in and was answered by the OP that I had no right deciding what her group should or should not do. I don't remember the details for it did go on for several days. As for non acoholic on a cruise or any other vacation, I have to agree with you. I am not a soda drinker period. My drinks of choice: coffee in the morning, maybe a glass of juice, the next 6 hours water and give me my wine or whatever come 5 oclock somewhere. I will say we have gotten in the habit of using the bar set up method. Yes, a bottler (liter) of scotch or vodka is $40 but it certainly beats $7.00 or more at the bars. We do support the bars as well.

Nita

So are you saying and thinking that it is better to carry one the wine rather than in the checked luggage? I wanted to bring a box wine on board the Pearl in August and was going to wrap it in birthday paper. My sister is really coming with us and this is really her birthday present. I guess it might be better as you say to carry it on...

I really doubt you will get a 5 or even 3 liter box of wine thru x ray in your carry on luggage. A bottle or two maybe.

Nita

We always packed 2 bottles of wine in our luggage on our Carnival and Royal Caribbean trips and never had a problem. Last week we were on the CROWN and we got the 'report to the naughty room' note. It would have cost up $30 per (big) bottle (the $15 is the fee for the regular sized bottles). The bottles of wine cost up less that $10 each! BUT I just happen to see our confiscated luggage sitting down the hall in a holding area with a big yellow LIQUOR tape on it and grabbed it and bought is back to the room. Our 'missing' luggage was ever mentioned.:)

Non published - but don't be surprise if you are asked to pay double corkage on a 1.5 liter bottle. It has happened but not often.

On our Freestyle Dailies it specifically says "per 750 ml bottle of wine." That's PoH; don't know if it's for all NCL ships.

beachchick

I really doubt you will get a 5 or even 3 liter box of wine thru x ray in your carry on luggage. A bottle or two maybe.

Nita

I have heard of people wrapping it like a gift in the checked baggage but have to believe they are still looking for the "box". How about taking it out of the box, double bagging it in ziplocks and putting it in checked luggage. I would just pray it wouldn't leak but it would only be in the luggage from Seattle to the stateroom.

Also, how about bottles of Listerine with liquor in it? Are they stopping every single checked bag because they have some sort of liquid in it? I wanted to take a bit of JD with me for my DH for a drink in the room before dinner.

I have heard of people wrapping it like a gift in the checked baggage but have to believe they are still looking for the "box". How about taking it out of the box, double bagging it in ziplocks and putting it in checked luggage. I would just pray it wouldn't leak but it would only be in the luggage from Seattle to the stateroom.

Also, how about bottles of Listerine with liquor in it? Are they stopping every single checked bag because they have some sort of liquid in it? I wanted to take a bit of JD with me for my DH for a drink in the room before dinner.

How about putting $5 a week in a jar and ordering a bottle of wine delivered to your cabin every few days. Not the place since NCL reads the boards to discuss how you intend to circumvent the rules. :rolleyes:

The intent of the corkage fee is to allow use to bring a few special wines onboard. Bring your box. If you get caught pay the corkage, smile , and enjoy the cruise.

Nita...

It would be terribly dissapointing NOT to be able to bring WINE aboard on future cruises.

On our last Princess Star Cruise we brought 16 bottles aboard. They were all $75.00 USD plus 90+ rated vintages. These wines and specific vintages were not available for purchase on-board. We were more than happy to pay a corkage or consumption fee at dinner and tip accordingly for service. Especially on Princess, as there is not 'HAL-X type' wine service at dinner (IE: no sommeliers dedciated to wine n drinks) making it prudent to bring your own, if you wanted to sip pre-app's n salads (lol)

I'm sailing NCL for the first time in Jan 08 on the Jewel. I assume, like Princess they will be no such service at dinner, other than from the head waiter. (Tell me I'm wrong:confused: ) Thanks to Shoreguy, I've also seen the wine-list, at least from 2006. There is very few, if at all 90+ vintages on the list. So for me, I'm more than happy to bring a case or more on NCl and thrilled to pay the $15.00 per bottle. Also happy to pay tips to our server(s), assuming they can supply a decanter and can offer service at dinner.

I aslo don't mind buying wine from NCL, except, I wish, as well for all cruiselines, they could post avails on the website, as most better restaurants in my home city do as a matter of practice.

jc

Toronto

X Galaxy Sept 06

Prin Star Jan 07

X Xpedition Sept 07

NCL Jewel Jan 08

Nita...

It would be terribly dissapointing NOT to be able to bring WINE aboard on future cruises.

I think you are doing just what the corkage fee was put in place for. Bring those special wines enjoy. We all run the risk of a few ruining things for the rest. Sorry to many but it is not about bringing your 4 liter box - o wine to drink for the week. It is about those that enjoy fine wines with a great meal.

Nita...

On our last Princess Star Cruise we brought 16 bottles aboard. They were all $75.00 USD plus 90+ rated vintages. These wines and specific vintages were not available for purchase on-board. We were more than happy to pay a corkage or consumption fee at dinner and tip accordingly for service. Especially on Princess, as there is not 'HAL-X type' wine service at dinner (IE: no sommeliers dedciated to wine n drinks) making it prudent to bring your own, if you wanted to sip pre-app's n salads (lol)

I'm sailing NCL for the first time in Jan 08 on the Jewel. I assume, like Princess they will be no such service at dinner, other than from the head waiter. (Tell me I'm wrong:confused: ) Thanks to Shoreguy, I've also seen the wine-list, at least from 2006. There is very few, if at all 90+ vintages on the list. So for me, I'm more than happy to bring a case or more on NCl and thrilled to pay the $15.00 per bottle. Also happy to pay tips to our server(s), assuming they can supply a decanter and can offer service at dinner.

I aslo don't mind buying wine from NCL, except, I wish, as well for all cruiselines, they could post avails on the website, as most better restaurants in my home city do as a matter of practice.

jc

Toronto

X Galaxy Sept 06

Prin Star Jan 07

X Xpedition Sept 07

NCL Jewel Jan 08

I'm sailing on the Pearl this August and plan on bringing a case on board. I'll post and let you know how it goes. Hopefully they will be able to accommodate my needs with proper stemware, chilling my whites, and decanting.

I hope everyone who enjoys the liberal wine policies on NCL, Princess, HAL, Disney, Carnival, etc. always say so on any comment card. I think RCI and Celebrity bowed to negative publicity and what seemed to be an issue that was not important to cruisers that would net them some bucks when they tightened their beverage policies.

I take every chance to tell the cruise lines how important wine policies are to me. Reminding them that on land vacations, "beverage" policies are a non issue.

I think we need to always say what we appreciate otherwise the bean counters will get caught up is just addressing issues.

We cruise to Alaska on the Star in Sept., first NCL trip. We have taken many Commodore trips (best ones ever--long ago memories but good ones) and many Carnival trips. We usually take a 12 pack of diet cokes and one four pack of small wines in our checked luggage, just for that occasional drink in the room for me while getting ready for dinner. DH enjoys the beer buckets--which by the way--does NCL offer those? Anyway, never any problem with corkage fee or any kinds of questions. Not the case here??? I actually could pass on the wine, but need my diet coke!!!!

We are cruising to Alaska in Sept. on the NW Star. So excited! Have cruised Commodore (in the old days but what great memories) and have cruised Carnival. Have never had any problem checking luggage with 12 pack of diet cokes and small wine bottles (about 4). I can do without the wine but not the diet coke--and is there really a naughty room??

I remember going on a Carnival cruise and the guy in front of me had 2 cases of Bud hoisted on his shoulder, he walked right through check-in without a problem. Of course this was the guy we saw passed out everyday in a lounge chair! I have taken wine aboard RCCL before. I sent it like luggage, with no problem. But I wouldn't do that now. I plan on getting a bar set up for this cruise and bringing some wine that I like and paying the corkage fee. I like a certain wine and it isn't on the wine list (and it's on sale here in NH). I also plan on bringing diet coke and bottled water (just a 6 pack each) for when I want something cold and quick!

Question: Has anyone had (or heard from other passengers) of wine being confiscated from check suitcases other than NCL?

Tucker in Texas

Never heard of NCL confiscating wine from checked bags :confused: They may hold your bag and ask you to open it and pay corkage.

RCI and Celebrity have moved to zero passenger carried alcohol products. In fact RCIs new policy states that if you don't cooperate with the new rules (try and smuggle) you can be denied boarding.:eek: I am happy with the $15 on NCL.

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard?s.gifA: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them

I spoke with an NCL rep yesterday and was informed that we could buy alcohol on board and take it to our cabin, may have to pay duty charge (whatever that means). It's so confusing. The corkage fee for wine is reasonable. Smuggling in wine is not worth the consequences and since I can buy my wine and carry it on and come out better even with the corkage fee, I will do that. I am still looking into my husband buying his liquor on board and taking to cabin.

I spoke with an NCL rep yesterday and was informed that we could buy alcohol on board and take it to our cabin, may have to pay duty charge (whatever that means). It's so confusing. The corkage fee for wine is reasonable. Smuggling in wine is not worth the consequences and since I can buy my wine and carry it on and come out better even with the corkage fee, I will do that. I am still looking into my husband buying his liquor on board and taking to cabin.

You can buy wine by the bottle onboard but if you buy booze you will pay the per shot price :eek: You got bad information. Need a bottle for your cabin get a bar setup before you go. Not available on NCLA ships.

Just came off of the Dawn and was one of those that were sent to the Naughty Room. I had a box of wine and several small bottles of champagne. I had to pay $30 corkage fee which in the long run was much cheaper than buying their wine prices. A glass of Pinot Gris was around $9. We were traveling with friends who also had wine in their luggage and it made it safely on board. The worse that happens if they find it you go to the Naughty Room and pay the $15 fee.

Just came off of the Dawn and was one of those that were sent to the Naughty Room. I had a box of wine and several small bottles of champagne. I had to pay $30 corkage fee which in the long run was much cheaper than buying their wine prices. A glass of Pinot Gris was around $9. We were traveling with friends who also had wine in their luggage and it made it safely on board. The worse that happens if they find it you go to the Naughty Room and pay the $15 fee.

Exactly - what is the big deal - we know the rules - some may try and get around them - if caught - smile and pay the fine - enjoy the cruise :D

I certainly don't mind paying the corkage fee but it should be consistent. One person was told to pay 60.00 for box of wine and I am assuming you paid 15.00 plus the 15.00 was for the champagne. I will pay the 15.00 for my box but really don't want to bring it if it is going to cost 60.00. I am flying so bottles are not an option for me.

I have also faxed in an order for three bon voyage fruit and wine but it has been a week with no email confirmation or charge on my Amex. Now I will have to call them...This is getting very frustrating.

Archived