As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

This is from Becky Jo who was on the Noordam Panama Canal sail with Retired Mustang:

AYWD - We did this, and found it great to meet our needs. We went to dinner on our schedule. We had a wait one evening around 7:00 - so I stepped around the corner to the RR and returned to find my DH was already seated.

We did not reserve a table on the Noordam, in May, and walked in when we wanted to dine. We did not experience any wait. Given the current Noordam sailing seems to have a lot of folk who want very early seating, it probably makes sense to reserve a table.

Funny how it was not that long ago, that late seating was the one that filled faster and passengers would be defaulted to early seating. I wonder why there has been a noticable shift in preference, on most sails.

Funny how it was not that long ago, that late seating was the one that filled faster and passengers would be defaulted to early seating. I wonder why there has been a noticable shift in preference, on most sails.

I never found this to be true on a Hal cruise. Early always filled up first.

Frick & Frack,

Thanks for posting your parents' experience with AYWD. Quite frankly, I could not be bothered with having to make sure I called for reservations every day, let along at 8 am. :eek:

Another reason why I want traditional. I know I'll have a standing reservation every night.

Roz

Roz, from what I have seen posted on this forum from HAL passengers who have already participated in AYWD, not one person, without a reservation, has reported having to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes to get a table at the time they wanted to eat. We are extremely happy to be in AYWD on our Volendam cruise next month and I do not plan to go to the bother of making reservations either, we are in a group of 6 and we plan to just show up at the dining room when WE are ready to dine not when the cruise line tells us they want us to dine. We like to sit down for dinner between 6:30 and 7:00 and 5:45 is way too early and 8:00 way too late. In the past the early 6:15 seating times have always been the first to fill up on HAL and we have had to take the late seatings or the 5:45 because that was what HAL told us was available, now we do not have to ever accept a dining time other than what we want. My prediction is that as AYWD becomes more and more acceptable and successful all cruise lines will adopt some type of open seating configuration and I think you will see the traditional seating on HAL get smaller and smaller as more and more HAL passengers opt for that option.:p :p :p ;) :D

Roz, I am in such agreement with you!!!! No way I'm going to be sure to be calling reservations every day at 8:00 a.m.!!! I pay little attention to time in the morning when I'm on a cruise.

The problem ends up being that sometimes it's all working out fine and other times it's just not. So it's the luck of the draw and I'm not willing to take that chance on the one cruise we take all year. After our next HAL cruise (which is still Traditional) we have nothing booked with HAL. The chances are, we likely never will. But you just never know:) .

Come on Heather never say never!! Where will you do your cruising when the other lines will most likely go to some form of open dining? Insiders are saying that Celebrity will go to it next year and that Carnival is taking a very close look at doing the same, Princess already has made the switch and NCL was the leader in the movement. I have not seen one poster in CC say they were denied their request for traditional seating once they embarked. Many have complained about being waitlisted prior to the cruise, but once they boarded HAL was accommodating every one who wanted traditional seating. The only complaint I recall was someone who wanted AYWD and didn’t get it on the Noordam ( I think) :confused: because a large group had booked the lower dining room on their cruise.

Come on Heather never say never!! Where will you do your cruising when the other lines will most likely go to some form of open dining? Insiders are saying that Celebrity will go to it next year and that Carnival is taking a very close look at doing the same, Princess already has made the switch and NCL was the leader in the movement. I have not seen one poster in CC say they were denied their request for traditional seating once they embarked. Many have complained about being waitlisted prior to the cruise, but once they boarded HAL was accommodating every one who wanted traditional seating. The only complaint I recall was someone who wanted AYWD and didn’t get it on the Noordam ( I think) :confused: because a large group had booked the lower dining room on their cruise.

Terry - My parents (well, technically they don't post to CC - I do for them) requested traditional and upon boarding were denied. They have made AYWD into "traditional" by requesting the same waiter every night/same time. They just need to be early in making their phone call :D

Terry - My parents (well, technically they don't post to CC - I do for them) requested traditional and upon boarding were denied. They have made AYWD into "traditional" by requesting the same waiter every night/same time. They just need to be early in making their phone call :D

May be I am confused, but from an earlier post you said your parents boarded the ship already in AYWD and asked to switch over to traditional. Why were they not waitlisted for a traditional seating time? My under standing is that HAL has been accommodating anyone waitlisted for traditional, but is not allowing those who are boarding confirmed in AYWD to switch back to traditional. When we booked our Volendam cruise for next month last January we were confirmed in the 6:15 seating and when HAL announced the AYWD on our cruise in April or May we got put into the AYWD because there no longer was a 6:15 seating time. My TA called ma about the change and we had the option of staying AYWD or being waitlisted in the 5:45 traditional seating. HAL assured my TA that if we wanted the 5:45 waitlisted time we would get it prior to or upon boarding, but obviously, we were extremely happy about the AYWD option. Had my TA not known about the change and had I not been a cc poster I would have known nothing about the AYWD and the cancellation of my 6:15 time. Even when our trip docs that came from HAL 2 weeks ago they showed waitlisted for 5:45 dining time

My parents were moved from lower traditional early to AYWD and we got them waitlisted for early traditional from the beginning; however, upon boarding, they asked for the change and were advised that no changes were being made and that they could have a reservation, daily call, for 5:30 or 5:45 or wait for one after 8PM or just walk up. According to their PVP at HAL, they were still number 81 on the list on day of embarkation.

I guess it just depends on the ship and the week.

My parents were moved from lower traditional early to AYWD and we got them waitlisted for early traditional from the beginning; however, upon boarding, they asked for the change and were advised that no changes were being made and that they could have a reservation, daily call, for 5:30 or 5:45 or wait for one after 8PM or just walk up. According to their PVP at HAL, they were still number 81 on the list on day of embarkation.

I guess it just depends on the ship and the week.

At least it sounds like they still got what they wanted, and I hope they are having a fantastic cruise.:D

Come on Heather never say never!! Where will you do your cruising when the other lines will most likely go to some form of open dining? Insiders are saying that Celebrity will go to it next year .......................Princess already has made the switch ........... I have not seen one poster in CC say they were denied their request for traditional seating once they embarked. Many have complained about being waitlisted prior to the cruise, but once they boarded HAL was accommodating every one who wanted traditional seating. ..........

I didn't say "never":) ... that's why I wrote "....you never know", because you never do;) . But it's doubtful and not just because of AYW dining. There are other issues. A lot depends on our next experience on HAL which is coming very soon.

You say you haven't seen one post about someone who wanted Traditional who was denied it on embarkation, but right on this thread Frick and Frack have said that's what happened to his/her parents. So.......

I heard that Celebrity is considering abandoning "Traditional only" for next year which is a concern, but we'll just have to see how it all sorts out. We may try Princess in the future because they are set up very differently and the ships are built to accommodate both choices. Still, for the most part we find their ships too huge.

In the end, we are fortunate to have cruised for 27 years. If cruising continues to change as much as I think it will to accommodate the "new" cruising public, we'll do all the other kinds of travelling we've put off all this time. It's a big country and a big world ... lots of great ways to see it:) .

I

I heard that Celebrity is considering abandoning "Traditional only" for next year which is a concern, but we'll just have to see how it all sorts out. QUOTE]Do you mean that Celebrity is going to do a combination of traditional/open seating like the present RCI trial on Freedom of the Seas and on HAL? Or did you hear that they were going to a pure open dining program like NCL?

I

I heard that Celebrity is considering abandoning "Traditional only" for next year which is a concern, but we'll just have to see how it all sorts out. QUOTE]Do you mean that Celebrity is going to do a combination of traditional/open seating like the present RCI trial on Freedom of the Seas and on HAL? Or did you hear that they were going to a pure open dining program like NCL?

I think it reasonable to assume that every cruise line with strictly fixed seating has and will continue to seriously evaluate an open seating concept. What any cruise line's plans are is pure speculation, at this time.

Speculation on my part, when I say it is reasonable to assume that open seating is not a fad and each cruise line will, at some future date, embrace it in some form.

I heard that Celebrity is considering abandoning "Traditional only" for next year which is a concern, but we'll just have to see how it all sorts out. We may try Princess in the future because they are set up very differently and the ships are built to accommodate both choices. Still, for the most part we find their ships too huge. .

Heather;

A friend of mine who works for a major cruise industry magazine told me that Celebrity will announce a new open dining in the first quarter ‘08 very similar to what HAL is rolling out this year. This information was the deciding factor in us booking our trip on the Century departing from Barcelona next September over HAL departing from Rome. If they do not announce the change we intend to cancel our cruise on the Century and book with HAL. Now that we have so many choices other than NCL for an open dining concept, I will not book any cruises in the future that offer Traditional dining only. I agree that the Princess ships are way to large and we most likely will cruise in the future will either HAL or Celebrity provided Celebrity does go to open dining.

Heather;

A friend of mine who works for a major cruise industry magazine told me that Celebrity will announce a new open dining in the first quarter ‘08 very similar to what HAL is rolling out this year. This information was the deciding factor in us booking our trip on the Century departing from Barcelona next September over HAL departing from Rome. If they do not announce the change we intend to cancel our cruise on the Century and book with HAL. Now that we have so many choices other than NCL for an open dining concept, I will not book any cruises in the future that offer Traditional dining only. I agree that the Princess ships are way to large and we most likely will cruise in the future will either HAL or Celebrity provided Celebrity does go to open dining.

Wonder if Celebrity will run a trial like RCI is doing on Freedom of the Seas or just institute an open dining option.

Do you mean that Celebrity is going to do a combination of traditional/open seating like the present RCI trial on Freedom of the Seas and on HAL? Or did you hear that they were going to a pure open dining program like NCL?

When I said "I heard", I meant that literally. I have no information at all and was responding more to Terry's post saying Celebrity was going to do it in '08.

So that means one of us is happy, one of us isn't. We'll see what happens and how they handle it. We're cruising with friends so it might not be quite as big an issue, but it still leaves us with the problem of different waiters every night which is my biggest issue with AYW.

As Hammy says, times they are a'changin' and we either roll with the tide or move on. Initially I was really upset and very vocal about this, but it is what it is and I'm way past worrying about it:) .

With all the real problems I could have, where and when I dine on a cruise really doesn't rise to the top.

As Hammy says, times they are a'changin' and we either roll with the tide or move on. Initially I was really upset and very vocal about this, but it is what it is and I'm way past worrying about it:) .

With all the real problems I could have, where and when I dine on a cruise really doesn't rise to the top.

Hammybee did not say this. Hammybee is usually not capable of being so pithy. :D Hammybee does however, agree with it.

Your perspective is refreshing, Heather.

Hammybee did not say this. Hammybee is usually not capable of being so pithy. :D Hammybee does however, agree with it.

Your perspective is refreshing, Heather.

Sorry, Hammybee!!!:) You never said that exactly so I didn't put it in quotes .... I really meant that you had suggested it as we've moved through this and I suddenly realized along the path that you are, of course, right.

For anyone who doesn't show signatures, mine says "It's easier to ride the horse in the direction he's going".

I try so hard to keep that line of thinking in the forefront of my mind, but sometimes I forget. We can't buck the tide, no point beating our heads against a brick wall. Get a grip, realize how really tiny this is in the scheme of things, and just be darned glad we can cruise at all.:D

For anyone who doesn't show signatures, mine says "It's easier to ride the horse in the direction he's going".

Heather, as usual I love your attitude! (and your signature) ;)

Personally I'm looking forward to trying AYW dining, but I certainly can understand your feelings about it. You're worried that something you love will be gone, and that must be hard. I do hope that everyone will be happy when it all shakes out.

As You Wish dining will begin on the following dates:

Date Ship

Operational Now Noordam

Operational Now Ryndam

11/13/07 Volendam

12/18/07 Statendam

01/5/08 Oosterdam

01/27/08 Rotterdam

02/3/08 Zaandam

02/24/08 Westerdam

03/15/08 Zuiderdam

04/6/08 Veendam

04/24/08 Maasdam

05/16/08 Amsterdam

05/23/08 Prinsendam

07/5/08 Eurodam (upon delivery)

As You Wish dining - the latest addition to Holland America's Signature of Excellence initiative - makes onboard dining more inviting with options to suit every taste. Guests will be able to choose a traditional pre-set seating and dining time or a flexible, open seating schedule in the Main Dining Room.

I was so against the concept - initially. Then we ended up with it on the Noordam, and you know what? It wasn't bad at all.

We prefer to avoid the hassle of being on a wailist or anything else like that, so we normally just go with the flow and take what's available. The best option at this point is lower level 8:30pm. Even though it's pretty late (even for us) we've adapted to it and now quite enjoy it. :)

We've found the service is terrific because it's not so crowded and it doesn't get so hot in the D/R (a real plus for DH) and we can take our time... a nice plus when we have great tablemates like we did on the Oosterdam in March.

If we are assigned AYW in the future, well - that's okay too. :)

I was so against the concept - initially. Then we ended up with it on the Noordam, and you know what? It wasn't bad at all.

We prefer to avoid the hassle of being on a wailist or anything else like that, so we normally just go with the flow and take what's available. The best option at this point is lower level 8:30pm. Even though it's pretty late (even for us) we've adapted to it and now quite enjoy it. :)

We've found the service is terrific because it's not so crowded and it doesn't get so hot in the D/R (a real plus for DH) and we can take our time... a nice plus when we have great tablemates like we did on the Oosterdam in March.

If we are assigned AYW in the future, well - that's okay too. :)

Thanks for your update on AYWD. Sounds like you made reservations for a later seating, did you have a chance to witness what the waits if any were like at earlier times like between 6:30 and 7:30? What comments do you observe from other AYWD participants on your cruise?:confused:

My parents indicated yesterday (they called as promised) that at 5:30PM the AYWD section was really quite full from what they have noticed. They didn't really notice people waiting too long while they have been eating. I asked them to pay close attention for the remainder of the cruise so I can give everyone an update (since they normally are done 6:30/7PM with dinner).

They've been preoccupied a bit for a few days. Mom took a bad fall in the cabin early Friday morning (per Mom - "The Ship Zigged and I Zagged" :rolleyes: ) - resulting in a tipped over chair and lots of bruising and cancelled tours.

They are having a great time though (plus Dad can make fun of her limping around - doesn't get much better for him) ;)

Thanks for your update on AYWD. Sounds like you made reservations for a later seating, did you have a chance to witness what the waits if any were like at earlier times like between 6:30 and 7:30? What comments do you observe from other AYWD participants on your cruise?:confused:

Terrydtx,

I am thinking that it matters not what happens on someone else's cruise because the passenger dining dynamics change each and every cruise. It does not matter if it's fixed or AYWD.

That a cruise with only fixed seating is waitlisting one or both seatings is happening. There are countless posts where people have not gotten their desired fixed seating and it has nothing to do with AYWD and it's most certainly not limited to HAL.

And if all AYWD diners get a bee in their bonnet, and show for dinner at the same time, some of them are going to have to wait. Does this mean, the AYWD concept is doomed?

Lisa ( laffnvegas) was on the Noordam again, in September. She reported that her early fixed seating was a ghost town. She also reported that the subsequent sailing was going to be the opposite.

Unless someone positions themselves full time, at the entrance to the lower level, AYWD area, between 5:30-9:00 PM and observes, there is no way to know what is happening. One person's experience or observation is limited to their own experience and timing.

Like most, I am curious as to how this will play out. I am also realistic. Passengers sometimes don't always get what they want on mass-marketed cruise lines.

.............They've been preoccupied a bit for a few days. Mom took a bad fall in the cabin early Friday morning (per Mom - "The Ship Zigged and I Zagged" :rolleyes: ) - resulting in a tipped over chair and lots of bruising and cancelled tours.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom!! I hope it doesn't have a big effect on the rest of their cruise. What a darned shame.:(

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom!! I hope it doesn't have a big effect on the rest of their cruise. What a darned shame.:(

Thanks Heather. The seas this trip have been a bit rougher than other cruises and "falls" happen. ;) They're taking it in stride; though they were disappointed to miss Barbados and St. Maartin. They hadn't intended to go anywhere in Puerto Rico anyway. They're just taking it slow and Dad's being annoying....so, it's a normal day - just at sea :D As always, the staff is just super-nice so they're doing fine. But, if they told me...then she's got to be banged up pretty good - and noticeable - and they figured they would say something *before* I see it Wednesday.