My Cat is giving me Heck!

Folgy

I am spoiling my cat rotten since we have gotten back home. He won't stop crying really loud.

My cousin checked on him every day and he was fed and watered really well.

Today our postman greeted Tommy at the doorstep as usual and said he demanded extra attention.

Does anyone else experience this?

I am dreading leaving our cat. We don't have kids so she is our only "child". I actually have my Mom coming from out of town to kittysit so that I will have piece of mind while we are gone. I can't bear to think of her sleeping by herself and how lonely she gets. Last year we hired a petsitter, but she only came twice a day. I know exactly how you feel. When we come home she "yells" at us and then she doesn't leave our side for days. She is such a sweet snuggle puss when we return. It's not like children where you can explain to them what is going on and that you'll be back by such and such day and you'll bring them a surprise (even though we always bring her a surprise). It's so hard to be a Mommy!

Carrie

Hi Folgy,

My DD has been "extra-attentive" this last week giving lots of hugs and kisses and saying "I love you Mommy" at "random" times. Not a bad thing to come home to...

However, she's also needing extra reminders about interrupting while Mommy and Daddy are having a conversation. I'm sure she thinks that 10 days away from her should have given us plenty of time to talk to each other... :D

Glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your cruise, and it was fun reliving it through your daily posts. Did Mrs. Folgy have as much fun as you did? :)

Welcome back to reality... I've been home for a week, but I'm cooking my first home-cooked meal tonight! (Had lots of extra dinners in the freezer that my parents didn't eat while they were here)

When is your next cruise, and when are you going? :)

I try to find a catnip toy or something "chaseable" to entertain them when we get home. I found a "kitty" shop in Key West last time. Most of the time they do seem to "demand" more attention after a time without us. I've had mine "hiss" at us like strangers when we first get back!

Just keep the luv coming and they will come around!! >^..^<

Jacquelyn :D

My wife (Lyann) is back to the daily routine and we are in withdrawl shock from such a fanatastic cruise.

I am e-mailing downloaded pictures to our cruise friends on the ship. I think they should all be home now. I can't wait to hear from them as I miss all the new friends we made.

I know what you all mean -- I'll be leaving soon for a 7-night cruise and hate the thought of leaving my sweet cat. If I'm gone for a weekend she follows me everywhere meowing when I return -- I know she's going to be traumatized when I'm gone for a whole week. I've got someone coming by every other day, but I feel like a terrible mommy! :(

It's times like these I wish I had another cat so she could have some company while I'm away.

Swysong77.....we thought having 2 cats would keep them from getting lonely when we went on trips. Well, maybe they're not lonely, but it sure gives them a lot of time to scheme and plot against us! They know all the things that drive me nuts, like pulling all the kitchen towels out of the drawer and knocking down little things. Then when we first get home they snub us and later velcro themselves to us.

But I still feel semi-guilty about leaving them, even though they have each other. This time my stepdaughter is spending every other night here just so they'll have some company. I don't envy her having to explain why both cars are here and we aren't!

I bought the pet sitter video for my cats, its a continuous loop dvd that has hamsters, birds, fish, etc, always on the tv screen, I have had it about 6 months now and everyone laughs at how much they still chase after these things. Its great for when you away because it gives them something to chase. If you dont want to put it on your tv you can also play it on your laptop or computer and it only cost $12, worth every penny.

Looks like I'm in good company. Our cats go on their very best behavior as soon as they see the suitcases come out. When we continue to pack them anyway, they be sure to get as much cat fur onto our clothes as phsyically possible. While we are away, they go nuts - sleep on the counters, pull all their toys out of the toy basket, climb the clothes in the closet and OF COURSE growl at the friends/family we have coming in to check on them. When we return, we get about two days of good behavior out of them - cuddling, purring, kissing, no cat fights....and then when they are sure we're going to stay awhile, they go back to ignoring us! Same cycle whether we're gone for a day or for a few weeks.

Maybe it would help if you left a photo of yourself for the cat? Then you could gauge how angry he was by how much he clawed the picture!

Or, you could send your cat a postcard and reassure kitty that you, too, are lonesome and having difficulty sleeping. Of course, sign it "Mommy". Then when you return, you will also have a nice souvenir for kitty's Creative Memories scrapbook.

Don't forget to bring home a T-shirt that says "My Mama & Daddy went on a cruise and all I got was this lousy T-shirt. And a hairball in my throat from gnawing on the couch."

Oh, I've got it - teach your cat how to use email! If their paws don't work, they can type with the eraser end of a pencil! After all, cats are the smartest animals on Planet Earth!

I don't have any cats myself - maybe I have seen "Cats & Dogs" one time too many?

My cats make a point of breaking my heart by disappearing right before I leave -- no hugs goodbye! When I come back, it's about 2 minutes worth of turning away, tail high, little cat butt in the air, saying "Oh, YOU'RE back? ho hum, didn't even know you were gone..."

Then a few minutes later, I get the sniff-over -- they're checking to see if Mommy's practiced cat infidelity while she was gone. If there's other cat scents (and they ALWAYS tell), I get another half hour of silent treatment.

Once the waiting period is over, they'll velcro themselves to me for the next couple of days. In bed, in the bathroom, everywhere (you try to pee with a cat trying to climb up your back!). As a final touch, they'll blow as much fur as they can on my stuff to ensure Mommy remembers who's boss -- especially on all that newly washed vacation laundry! :)

"Never try to outstubborn a cat." -- Lazarus Long

P.S. Pixel is here on my left, Jerry is here on my right...I'm taking dictation :-). They both insist that cats watching hamsters on TV is just as interesting as people watching Animal Planet (or America's Funniest Home Videos).

Ah, Folgy,

I should have known you were "one of us" -- a cat person! We were only gone for the weekend -- one of our cats looked as if she enjoyed having us away -- the other (the "baby") doesn't stop crying for about a hour! You know, the 'meow', 'meow', ... .....

BTW, it is "childfree", not "childless".

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Bookit

posted by barbarajoy:

Maybe it would help if you left a photo of yourself for the cat? Then you could gauge how angry he was by how much he clawed the picture!

Or, you could send your cat a postcard and reassure kitty that you, too, are lonesome and having difficulty sleeping. Of course, sign it "Mommy". Then when you return, you will also have a nice souvenir for kitty's Creative Memories scrapbook.

Don't forget to bring home a T-shirt that says "My Mama & Daddy went on a cruise and all I got was this lousy T-shirt. And a hairball in my throat from gnawing on the couch."

Oh, I've got it - teach your cat how to use email! If their paws don't work, they can type with the eraser end of a pencil! After all, cats are the smartest animals on Planet Earth!

I don't have any cats myself - maybe I have seen "Cats & Dogs" one time too many?

LMAO! :p

Whenever I go out of town I bring my collection of cat photo's. I affix

them to the mirror in my cabin. My room steward must think I'm crazy

but I don't care. They are my heart and soul. I often wonder what they

are doing while I'm gone. (probably sleeping) I wish I could bring them

with me. Fortunately BF loves cats as much as I do.

Cat Girl

Folgy,

Nice to have read your thread from the Serenade. We were on the Radiance (sister ship) a couple of weeks ago, and had a marvelous time as well.

Our cat gives us the "bum" treatment for a day or so when we return from holidays. He eventually turns around and makes nice. Then he won't leave us alone for a while after. I wonder if male and female cats act differently to vacationing parents??

We too are childless...."parents" of a dog, though. I've been wanting a cat but DH says they're too high maintenance at vacation time. And after reading these posts, I can begin to see his point!

The dog (Marble) just goes to visit "Aunt Patch" at the kennel and she absolutely LOVES it. It's hard on us when we come back because she's always reluctant to come home. I'm not sure if she's holding a grudge for us leaving her or if she just has so much fun with Aunt Patch that she'd rather be there!

First time I left Marble there, I cried all the way home! Now Marble runs toward the entrance of the kennel barking joyfully and with her whole body wagging. And I think I'd rather she act like she's going to miss us!

My boy is not a happy camper when we leave for vacation. Since he's our only child he thinks he should come with us where ever we go.

There was a smoke free ship how about a pet friendly ship?

Here's a pic of Rusty on the deck having a nap sitting up. My only fear would be that he's a CHAIR HOG!!!!:cool:

2057582551_Rustyhavinganap.jpg.5fc1e6e4ff72e471f462364eacdf46ea.jpg

When we go away we put our 2 dogs in kennels. They don't mind the kennels. When we come to collect them, we are almost knocked off our feet with joyful dogs. Maybe for the first half hour at home they are a bit stand offish, but then after that they won't leave our side.

Folgy--What did you expect? Sailing off to beautiful Alaska....tsk tsk. You were very gracious to keep us updated on your lovely cruise but did you ONCE e-mail the cat and tell him you miss him? NOOOOO! You went on and on about all the Orcas and pods of Dolphin, blah, blah, blah. Did you ever mention on a post that you miss your cat? NOOOO! Give em' heck Tommy! They deserve it! :p :p :p :D

Archived