My Cat is giving me Heck!

Folgy

I have two cats, Ashbey & MaCree. Oh boy, as soon as they see the suitcase come out they know I'm going somewhere and immediately climb inside or on top. I have to keep moving them off as I pack and they immediately climb back inside.

I do have a roommate and she is starting to dread when I leave even for a weekend. My 2 cats refuse to leave her alone! They get into lots more trouble and have broken several of my roommates picture frames.

As soon as I walk in the door from vacation, they are glued to me! If I don't sit down immediately and cuddle with them for at least 1/2 hour then I get the loud meow cries until I pick them up. At night, each cat sleeps next to me as close as they can get with MaCree under the blankets and Ashbey on top. MaCree also voices her displeasure in the morning by walking on my head and meowing non-stop!!!

Here are pictures:

This is MaCree (her name means "My Heart"):

27692689.MaCreeSunWorships.jpg

This is Ashbey:

26629020.AshbeyCloseUP1.jpg

Oh, and this is my roommates cat, Cleo:

27692509.CleoYawnsv1.jpg

We have quite a lot of cats (breeding and exhibiting is my hobby). We have a great cat sitter who visits only once a day - however, she loves them so much that her one visit often stretches to 4-5 hours of cuddling and play time. They usually love when "Aunt Barbara" is in charge. When we have baby kittens at vacation time, they all go to her house for the duration and are spoiled rotten when I get home.

Oh God, a pet-friendly cruise! I can see it now.....my cats would be the ultimate chair hogs, they would cut in line for the buffet, they would insist on winning a prize at every contest, and Harley (the male) would monopolize the photographer on formal nights, insisting on just one more shot. They would run up and down the halls in the dead of night and continually send the waiter back for more of something. And to top it all off, they would probably complain about everything. They always have to voice their opinion!

Pet-friendly cruise? I think not!

I love all your stories of the Cats in your life. I have been cruising since 1987 and have had a multitude of cats in those times. I can picture each and every story...as my little babies acted the same way! I now have only one big old boy cat, Abernathy. Abbey is 16 years old and has cancer. My next cruise is in January and I know Abbey will have crossed the Rainbow Bridge long before we leave. So come January I will have no one to pout, wail or cause overall mischief...I will miss the travel cat antics more than I can say. Keep loving you cat babies they are so very precious!

Emilygrace,

Ture, true, true! LOL funny. Sounds like our bunch. We acquired a Cheeto

this past week-end and he's being integrated with our other cats. I tease

my DH that he was a cat in a previous life or will be one the next as he

is such a cat freak. DS inherited the same gene. We love our cats! Dogs

too, they're cat friendly and keep the coyotes away at night.

CSW

JH, so sorry to hear about your kitty. We had a pure black kitty for 16 years, she always pulled a disappearing act while we were gone. My girlfriend used to come in to feed her & never saw her, the only way she knew BJ was still alive, the food dish was always EMPTY!

Now we have an orange tabby who is SO SPOILED we have to have someone come to the house & stay while we are gone. He is a mess when the suitcases come out, he will jump in & try to paw the clothes back out, then he curls up on top of them. When we get home he is waiting at the door for us meowing(talk about a GUILT trip) then ignores us for a 1/2 hour or so.

As much as I want to go on our Panama Canal cruise in April not sure how DH & I will be able to get along 10 days without our baby.

We also have 6 "kids" that live outside, we are the neighborhood "suckers" when it comes to stray cats, anybody want a Cat???:D

Karen

My babies are 10 and 9 one modified calico and one ginger tabby...someone (not a cat person) said to me recently, "You know your cats only have another five to six years to live"...I broke down and bawled right then and there. Mean! JH, I'm sorry to hear about your baby...I'll put in a prayer to Bubastis that he crosses to the great catnip fields in the sky without any pain or suffering...

Folgy:

First, let me say how much I enjoyed your Live Serenade posts. We were all living vicariously through you last week. Happy belated birthday.

Our oldest cat, BC (before children), used to leave us "gifts" in the bath tub soon after we would return from a trip. These charming "gifts" were supposed to be deposited in the litter box. His message to us was very clear. We always knew we could expect this of him whenever we traveled. Fortunately, I loved him to pieces so his indiscretions were overlooked. His little feline brother never bothered being testy about our leaving. I guess the oldest guy was "King."

He has long passed from this earth and the new batch of cats came after the children so they are not nearly as self-absorbed. They are actually thrilled to see us and are quite affectionate when we return. I was so trained by the first cat that I still think there is something wrong with them since they don't show their displeasure in our leaving!!

I'm sure Tommy will go back to "normal" soon.

I live daily with the eccentricities of Good Kitty (17), and Bad Kitty (3 1/2). I don't dare change my position in bed during the night, or I will find kitty claw marks on my body in the morning. Good Kitty long ago decided that urping hairballs ONLY on the carpet (instead of the hardwood or the tile) is the only way to urp, since he likes to have a soft, comfortable surface for his kitty-butt when he urps. He has trained his younger pound sister to stalk and attack him between the hours of 2 and 5 AM, so that their name and rabies tags jangle together and make a lot of noise. Bad Kitty learned some really bad manners in the shelter I got her from...she will only drink out of the toilet and then lick my face to get under the covers. They both hate me for having them respectively neutered and spayed, as they have no sex life...but instead, enjoy a very healthy total animosity towards each other. I have long enjoyed waking in the morning, and treading carefully from my bedroom to the kitchen, trying to avoid stepping in fresh hairballs and tufts of kitty fur left from their deliberately orchestrated "play fighting" during the night. If I leave for longer than a day, they refuse to speak to me when I return for at least a couple of days, spurn their canned Friskies, pee right next to the litter box, and extend their middle claw towards me. Now, don't get me wrong. I really love my cats, and the daily purrings and fighting over my lap space keep me tolerating their nonsense!

LOL! I thought it was just my cat who ignored hundreds of square feet of Pergo flooring to ralph all over the carpeting. My cats will only drink out of the bathtub and I am profoundly thankful the toilet/face licking maneuver has never occured to them.

My oldest cat, Keegan, likes to sleep on my head - front paws over one ear, rear paws over the other. Keegan is about 22 pounds and VERY ill tempered. On more than on occassion when I have moved during the night, he has growled at me. So, I lie there in terror, surrounded by razor-sharp claws, too scared to go back to sleep in case I jostle him and unleash hell. I finally figured out that he was growling in his sleep. I'm usually still too scared to move, but I feel a little better about it!

When not sleeping on my head, Keegs is out stalking our little cat, Izzy. Izzy suffers from "little sister syndrome" (something I myself perfected as a little sister). When big brother comes within 3 feet of you, you screech like a banshee and run yowling to your parents. We're awoken a few times a week to the sounds of a raging cat fight.

When we go on vacation, I'm torn between missing the little devils and celebrating 6 nights of uninterrupted sleep!!

My SO Diane has 4 cats... Lucy, the oldest (about 12), Lovey and Thurston (yep... from Gilligan's Island ;) ) and Dewey - Lovey is blind in one eye, but was saved from curbside of the street by her son. Actually, some of our first "dates" were spent feeding Lovey from an eyedropper; Thurston has become diabetic, needs insulin shots twice a day, and is (I think) losing feeling in his back paws, but doesn't really realize it yet. Dewey is the baby - only about 6. Luckily, Diane's son has the time to stay with the cats and more importantly, give Thurston his shots, and they wouldn't be left with strangers or have to be boarded. But they won't fit in the carry-ons...

And I wouldn't trade the 'family' for anything :)

Frank

I really love reading these stories! Brings tears to my eyes, too, Folgy! We got the ancestor of Good Kitty and Bad Kitty when she was only 4 weeks old, and much too young to leave her mother. This was in 1972. Her name was Girl Cat, and we fed her kitty formula from a bottle (from our vet), and Gerber's Rice Cereal. She lived to be 21 1/2 years old, and all of our five kids grew up with her. We got Good Kitty from the pound as a 10-week old infant, and his tail had been cut off by some @#$%&* non-person.. Girl Cat took him under her paw, and tried to nurse him. I cannot even tell you what we went through when Girl Cat passed away, but she had a very good life, and was much-loved. I'm still amazed that Good Kitty is in such great shape for being 17, but we've always had the vet give them feline leukemia shots, and basically keep him inside. Bad Kitty is a pain in the butt. I had boarded G.K. at the vet about 3 years ago, and went to pick him up, and the vet brought out an ugly, scrawny, dirty little feral female cat and said she would have to be euthanized. $500.00 and three years later, she is still a pain in the butt.

JH & unkfranksorry to hear about your kitties. As I am writting this I have one cat that has figured out that the bannister looks like a tree and has decided to use it as a scratching post along with the bed! I can not get him to stop arrrrrgggg..... the other uses the suitecase as scratching post - I always wonder if the airport sniffing dogs ever stop at the suitecase because of the cat smell - hmmmm maybe that is my cats plan, haver our luggage destroyed so that we will never go on vacation again!! They are too smart, do we miss them when we are gone, you bet!!

LOL! I thought it was just my cat who ignored hundreds of square feet of Pergo flooring to ralph all over the carpeting. My cats will only drink out of the bathtub and I am profoundly thankful the toilet/face licking maneuver has never occured to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy barfed on every thing but are new Pergo flooring. He ralphed all over my bedroom carpet.

I guess it realy is a 'take that ' issue with our puddin's :rolleyes:

Do you think that while we're on the ships, our cats log into the "Cruise Kitties" website and trade tips on the best ways to punish their people for leaving them behind?
I never thought about that! Now that you mention it, my kitties are always hanging around the keyboard while I'm on line. I'm sure they must know my passwords by now. ;) Sneaky little buggers...

ever try to convince a 60# dog that she cannot get into a suitcase? I use the spare bedroom to stage for vacations. I have to cover up the clothes that I've put on the bed with a clean sheet or she'll sneak in and roll all over them. We tried closing the door, but she'll sit by it and howl whether or not anyone is in there. She thinks it's her room. Likes to nap on the bed. This last time, we took her to my Mom's in Arizona while we went to Alaska. We had not planned on picking her up until the following weekend. We found ourselves in the truck on Sunday morning at 4AM (we got home late Sat night from Vancouver), driving 5 hrs to pick her up because she decided to "serenade" Grandma every night at 2AM. She has always been happy at Grandma's before. Don't quite understand why this time. I swear she "smiled" all the way home. :D

We used to have three cats, who graciously allowed us to pay their mortgage. We have none now, thru choice, cause we travel a bit.

However, the first time one of us was ever away from them was priceless. DH went to San Fran on business. At bedtime, Glendy (our little tortie-point kitten), constantly paced the bedroom from DH's side of the bed to a pair of his shoes in the closet, yeowling at the top of her lungs. After an hour of this, I called the hotel in SF, and told DH to "Talk to" his cat. Holding the phone to her ear, I heard him say' "Glen-glen Dady's OK. I'll be home in a few days. You lie down and go to sleep."

Well, to my amazement, she meowed sweetly into the phone several times, then curled up and went to sleep!

That cat was fascinated with telephones for the rest of her 17 years, and most of our friends and family learned she had to have her turn, too, when they called.

Archived