My Cat is giving me Heck!

Folgy

Hi Folgy, welcome back. How did you enjoy your cruise? I just got back from a land vacation,to Gatlinburg,TN and missed your review,if you've done one.

Hi ,

I actually did my little review from the ship each day. There are really good reviews by others that sailed right after me. :o

I'm so glad to see all the "cat people" here. I love cats and it is so funny to see how some people get when it comes to their Kitties. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is kitty crazy.

JH, You are in my thoughts. I have a 2 year old Himmi and I have just now started to live without thinking about the day I lose her. I am a big crybaby and it breaks my heart to think about not having Noelle around. I have started to put it out of my mind and enjoy every minute with her here instead of dreading the day she's not. I hope you do have many more days with your baby.

Carrie

Another fur-coated cruiser here! We used to have just cats and hired a petsitter to come in daily to feed them. Shortly after we got our 4th, Harley, we went away for a week. When we returned, there was a long letter from the petsitter describing the week (she had never done that before).

Our honeymoon photo was face down on the floor every day. She would put it back on the table and the next morning it was on the floor again.

They dug up the dirt from our large potted plants, but only the ones sitting on white carpet.

They ate an entire potted hibiscus (listed as toxic to felines on the Cat Fancy website; they digested it w/o any problem).

Toilet paper in all 3 bathrooms was removed from the rolls & shredded. Thoroughly.

Fortunately, they used the litterboxes.

She ended the letter with, "this is Kitty Hell." We never saw her again. The next trip, she sent her assistant.

Now that we have added 2 dogs to the mix, we have a house/petsitter come stay overnight. It's the same price as boarding the dogs, and they are much happier than they were when we boarded them. The cats (now 5 of them; Chablis crossed the Bridge in 2003 and we acquired Boris & Natasha to help fill the void) seem to be ok with our leaving as long as there is somebody they can snuggle up to & suck the body heat out of.

JH, You are in my thoughts. I have a 2 year old Himmi and I have just now started to live without thinking about the day I lose her. I am a big crybaby and it breaks my heart to think about not having Noelle around. I have started to put it out of my mind and enjoy every minute with her here instead of dreading the day she's not. I hope you do have many more days with your baby.

Don't worry, Carrie - I've been breeding these lovely creatures for nearly 20 years now and most of them have very long lifespans - you should have your baby for at least another 15 years or so.

Wow, I never thought by coming to a cruise website that I would find people as in love with their cats as I am with mine. I am 23 years old and Smokey has been by my side for about 16 years of that. I love her to death and I tell her that every single day several times a day. I worry everytime she doesn't seem to feel well because I know she is getting older and wont live forever. There will be days that I just sit and cry thinking about the day she passes away.

She makes me laugh and she makes me cry. I love it when she likes to snuggle, but that isn't very often. She is pretty much a loner kitty. She doesn't like to be around people that much and REALLY doesn't like strangers in her house and she will let them know by hissing at them several times and then turning around putting her tail in the air and swaggering her butt off to the nearest hiding place. She is an indoor cat. She is scared to go outside and refuses to go near any doors that lead to the outside.

I love my cat and I am so happy to see I'm not as crazy as everyone thinks I am because I love her so much. I have photo albums after photo albums filled of pictures of just her. My parents always laugh because they know whenever I get a roll of film developed that 2/3 of the pictures are ususally of my cat. :)

There was a thread about spray painting your telephone number on your pets in case they were lost in a hurricane.

Knowing that small animals are very sensitive to toxicity and that most paints have toxins I would doubt that spray painting your pets would be a good idea but I have found that a laundry pen works great on your goldfish.

I live in a town where hurricanes are not a big threat we do have tornadoes on occasion, so I thought, what the heck, I might as well be prepared, you can never tell when the next tornado will strike. Searching the garage I found one of the main requirements, a can of red spray paint. I already had two other ingredients to this lunacy in a 40-pound tomcat named Spencer and a petite gray princess cat named Greta Garbo.

I, being close but not quite a complete idiot (nobody’s perfect), decided that I would not be able to spray paint my entire phone number on the cats in one sitting. The nature of a cat requires that it make any human endeavor as difficult as possible. While our beloved cocker spaniel would probably had sat patiently with a smile and a tongue hanging out thinking this was the most fun in the world our cats would not see any humor in becoming graffiti canvas. I made a plan to spray paint one number at a time on the cat’s while they were napping, which as we know cat’s can do better than Uncle George at Sunday’s Sermon. It would be no problem getting my whole phone number on Spencer while on GG I would probably have to skip the area code.

GG presented the first opportunity. Peacefully snoozing on a throw pillow on the sofa, I snuck up on her armed with my can of red spray paint. I had previously taken the spray can outside and shook it so she could not hear the little metal ball inside it bouncing off the sides of the can. Everything was perfect, she was lying on her side making a soft purring/snoring sound indicating she was asleep and not faking it as she often does. I carefully aimed the spray can intending to start with the number nine.

The fist pssst of the spray can left me spray painting a big red splotch on the now vacated sofa throw pillow. The only indication that GG had been present was a gray streak headed for the back rooms. “Well” I thought to myself “this was proving to be far more difficult than envisioned”. GG would spend the rest of the day and most of the night in the back closet. I knew she was in there because of the trail of red paint left on the hallway walls, bedroom carpet and ending with the red smudges on the white sneakers in the closet. She did finally leave her hiding place at about three in the morning to verbally express her displeasure at my attempt to make her more tornado proof. I do have to admit though that the red stripe down her side gave her a kind of punk kitty look.

I was contemplating the reflex speed of our tomcat Spencer. I have seen him move pretty darn fast when the doorbell rings or when we try to take him to be groomed but I figured I could at least get a good start on at least one telephone digit considering the larger expanse I had to spray paint. My wife on the other hand convinced me otherwise and took my spray paint away

I am spoiling my cat rotten since we have gotten back home. He won't stop crying really loud.

My cousin checked on him every day and he was fed and watered really well.

Today our postman greeted Tommy at the doorstep as usual and said he demanded extra attention.

Does anyone else experience this?

our cat always acts strange when we come back from vacation, but after a bit of "extra attention" she is back to her normal self!

dean & alice

txcarrie

Yes she's just fine I guess. She's a shorthair so it will take a while before the stripe goes away. One thing leads to another though, I came home the other day and she had got her nose pierced. Kids.

thanks

disclaimer - no animals (nonhuman) were actually harmed or abused during these fictitious alusias

Just wait 'til she gets the bottoms of her paws tattooed! We had QUITE the time with Bad Kitty when she snuck out and had a picture of Spike - the next door chihuahua - tattooed on the bottom of her right paw with a big heart on his chest, saying "B.K. luvs Spike". I am NOT at all prepared to handle this kind of inter-species relationship! Any suggestions?

Oddly enough, my wife and I have not had much happen on recent vacations. We now have 4 cats, 3 permanent females and a male that is 'alledgedly' up for adoption through the local animal shelter. (methinks the wife is fibbing about that part.:) ) Anyway, they all seem to entertain one another so they dont miss us all that badly. Heck, they're probably glad the dog goes away too! (sometimes to the kennel, sometimes with us, it depends on the trip) The one interesting thing that happened was 4 years ago when we went to Ottawa. At the time, one of our two cats was the proud mamma of 7 kittens. When we left the kittens were pretty much confined to the drawer where they were born. When we came back 5 days later they had scattered to the wind and we spent quite a while hunting them down throughout the house. (headcounting hyperactive kittens is hard!:)

I'd second the pet friendly cruise(only for my dog, our cats travel very badly), unfortunately I'm guessing that international travel regs regarding pets are just too great a barrier...hell, the US dept of Agric gets p.o.ed if you bring a piece of FRUIT off the boat. They'd have an all out conniption(sp?) if you walked down the hall with a pet.

Last 2 cruises on Celebrity, next cruise on the Voyager. Thought I would check this board out and since I am the mother of 3 (cats) I feel right at home. I have so much trouble when I pack to go away. Our baby, an all white Persian, loves to climb in the suitcases. His hair on the clothes is enough to drive me nuts! I found a solution, I got out a suitcase that I was not going use and lined it with a plastic bag. I left it open on the spare room bed, where I do the packing, and he climbed in. Over the next several weeks, everytime I packed an item or 2, he jumped in "his" suitcase and kept me company. I'm sure he thought he was right in the middle of the action, but when it was time to leave, his just "disappeared" until the next trip! I have thought seriously about smuggling a cat or two onboard. Someday, when your on a ship and you think you hear a faint "meow" coming from somewhere - it just might be for real!

Margie

Archived