Dinner attire for 12 yr old boy?

Looking for a little advice to give some of our travelling companions. They have a 12 year old son whose wardrobe, like that of most 12 yr old boys', runs toward the casual.

The question is: What would you recommend that the boy's parents get for him in the way of dress clothes for dinner?

Thanks!

I took my 12 yr. old this past Spring Break and he wore khaki pants and collared sports shirts for dinner. On formal night, he wore a tux that I borrowed from someone. I must say (even though I'm partial) he looked very nice for a pre-teen. He was comfortable, but yet was semi-casual and appropriate for dinner. Hope this info helps you.

My son alternated between khakis with polo shirts and his suit for formal nights. They're in these clothes for about 2 hours per night so they can be worn repeatedly. I'd suggest two pairs of nice pants, two polo shirts, and the suit with dress shirt. You can always have things cleaned if necessary.

My children are now 15 and 13 and they have been cruising with us for the past 7 years. I bring black colored jeans and khakai pants and a pair of dark pants. Shirts he wears dockers type with a collar....for formal evening, he never wore a suit. Just the dark navy pants with a nice white or blue long sleeve dress shirt and a different tie each formal evening. He never needed a suit or felt out of place and I never felt he was underdressed with others around. I find many kids not wearing suits, no need to buy one for them to wear twice and never wear it again. I also find a number of men not wearing jackets during the last formal evening.......

Just my opinion but don't worry if your son does not have a suit. :)

For my 12 year old (as well as his 9 and 11 year old brothers) on our VOS cruise in 26 days (no I'm not excited!), I got tuxes for each of them on ebay for $30 apiece for the 2 formal nights. If our pics turn out well enough after the first formal night, I'll let them go to Johnny Rockets with the kids club on the 2nd and have an adult night out and spare them dressing up a 2nd time.

For the other nights, I have 2 pairs of dress blue and 2 pairs of khaki pants for each of them (ours is a 9 night cruise), and 7 polo shirts or collared hawaiian shirts. Nearly all the shirts could be worn with either of those type of pants & I doubt anyone is going to be looking for any more on kids than pants and a collar!

We plan to bring my 12 (almost 13) to Portofinos with us one night and I'm bringing a dress shirt and tie for him for that night - skipping the jacket. Although he has one, I'm sure he can get by without it and it's just more to pack! I may ask him if he really wants to wear it that evening though if DH is wearing one!

I think all anyone is looking for at dinner is "nice" clothes. As long as they aren't shorts or bathing suits, or tshirts with obnoxious logos (I'd think even a dressy t-shirt, you know what I mean, dark striped, etc. would be fine), or ripped jeans, no one will care. I've heard recommendations for the zip-off khakis so they can go back to shorts as soon as dinner's over, but my kids never found those comfortable. They always complained that it "rubbed" where the zipper was on the leg.

Good luck, tell them to enjoy the cruise, and don't worry too much about the little things!

Marcie, I have to tell you, that first picture from the Explorer of my then-15-year-old son in his tux and his just-turned-18 sister in her formal gown...........PRICELESS. First time I ever bought a photo on the ship. Gosh, they looked gorgeous. I'm tearing up just thinking about it..........

Carol

Please, please, please, Moms (and wives, 'cause full-grown men need to know this, too)...NO BASEBALL CAPS IN THE DINING ROOM. RUDE RUDE RUDE RUDE RUDE RUDE. (J M not very H O)

The question is: What would you recommend that the boy's parents get for him in the way of dress clothes for dinner?

Would the parents consider a suit or tux? Young men look fantastic in them! If not, how about a sports jacket with a nice shirt, tie and slacks? Slacks, tie and shirt? Or the options above?

I agree hstrybuf! My 12 yr. old looked GREAT in a tux. It was the first time he's ever worn one, and will be the last time, until our next cruise. I took about 24 pictures of him throughout the ship because I just couldn't resist how WONDERFUL he looked. He even felt proud himself, especially when several teenagers complimented him on how great he looked.

Guess I didn't think to post the baseball cap rule. My kids' schools don't allow hats of any kind and my kids rarely wear them. When we go to the beach or an amusement park they all have the foreign legion type hats with big brim and neck flap, but that's for sun protection & they all pull them off as soon as they go indoors anywhere. About the only place my kids wear baseball caps is to ...um...baseball practice!

If the parents opt for a suit, they might see if they could borrow one from a family member or one of his friends. They could also check at a second hand store or on E-bay. I got a really nice sport coat for my 12 year old on E-bay for around $5.

JCPenney always has nice inexpensive suits for boys his age. I bought one for my son when he was 11, and he was soooo excited and proud to be dressed up for his first cruise (and his usual sartorial taste runs to the extremely casual)! Then the next cruise, the jacket still fit and I bought new pants. Then a year later, the pants were still OK, and I bought a new jacket. And so on.

A pair of dress pants and a shirt and tie are fine for formal night - but there's something exciting about being really dressed up, even for a young boy!

Archived