Venice restaurants

aunteemom

When we were in Venice in May we had an evening meal at Harry's Bar one night and another night we went to a little Italian restaurant down one of the alleyways just off St Marcs Square. Really does depend on how much you want to spend.

I have friends that go to Venice 2 or 3 time a year and they always stick to the smaller restaurants down the back alleys.

I am sure some others will have more suggestions than I. Enjoy Venice when you get there.

Must be one of the biggest rip offs in the world......we went a couple of years ago after a suggestion from a writer in The Times.....

They packed us in, served very average food, and the bill for two was around $350 with 2 Bellinis and a half bottle of average wine.

I would sooner starve than eat there again.

Brian

This was a "starred" restaurant in Fodor's Italy travel guide. We stayed in Venice 3 nights in September 2001 and we ate dinner there the first two nights. The prices were very reasonable, by anyone's standards. I had the Zuppe de Pesce (bowl of seafood soup) with the house bread both nights and we shared a litre of the red house wine. Smallish, just a few steps off the Grand Canal, wonderful atmosphere - very festive - AND it was the best food I ate during our 16 days in Italy. Did I mention that the cost was really moderate?

I wanted to go back again our third and final night in Venice, but DH insisted we roam around looking for another place, which we did, and the food was awful. We still refer to Il Traverso's Zuppe de Pesce as a benchmark when we talk about food I like. (And I love the food on Oceania.)

And, as I said, it was inexpensive! (Hope it's still there - check it out in Fodor's.)

We have yet to be disappointed when we eat at one of Fodor's starred restaurants. The trick is to find one that is also rated $ instead of $$$$. ;)

We stayed in Venice a few days post cruise, and managed to eat at a few good restaurants; the food can be awful in Venice if you eat near the touristy areas. Our favorite was Vini da Gigio; it's a little off the beaten path and there was a good mix of a few tourists and plenty of locals there. The nearest vaporetto stop is Ca'Doro. I had an amazing tortellini in pumpkin sauce with white truffle shavings for an appetizer. We don't drink, and dinner for two was about 70 Euros.

www.vinidagigio.com

You can also try Al Giardinetto, which is away from the tourist areas as well. It has a beautiful little garden you can dine in, and the prices were very reasonable. Their menu features traditional Venetian dishes. However, I enjoyed the food a little more at Vini da Gigio -- it was a bit more modern and inventive.

http://www.algiardinetto.it/

Beach Nut: If it is the restaurant I think you are speaking of, the name is Taverna San Trovaso. It is one of our favorites and we have eaten many a nice dinner there. Reservations are essential if you want to eat at a certain time, otherwise be prepared for a wait.

http://www.tavernasantrovaso.com

email: giorgio.cassan@tin.it

tel: 041 520 37 03 closed on Mondays

Also Trattoria Da Fiore Is very well reviewed and a bit more money(041 523 53 10)

http://www.trattoriadafiore.com closed Tues

Had a memorable dinner on the top floor of the Danieli Hotel overlooking the lagoon. If the weather is warm enough there are tables outside on the terrace.

Also we took the free shuttle from San Marco Sq. to the Cipriani Hotel across the lagoon for a wonderful lunch beside their large pool.

There is a terrific restaurant called Al Covo on a small street off the waterside promenade. I don't remember the name of the street but you cross five bridges from Piazza San Marco (going right if you're facing the square) and then turn left. The seafood is wonderful and so is the service and ambience. It's run by an Italian and his Texan wife.

We have been to Venice many times & have found a restaurant that we LOVE!

It is in a back alley, right near the Rialto bridge.

It's called: Trattoria Alla Madonna

Tel:041/5223824

The seafood risotto is amazing. My husband doesn't like fish & said he had the best lasagna ever.

Not too expensive either. All the gondoliers eat there.

We have gone into Venice-off the ship-just to have lunch there.

Enjoy!

Archived