Man Overboard Carnival

sal7202

Man rescued after jumping off cruise ship

(Last updated: 10:15 AM)

MIAMI (AP) — A Maryland man was rescued early today from the ocean off Florida after he reportedly jumped from a cruise ship, the Coast Guard said.

The Carnival Liberty alerted the Coast Guard around 11:35 p.m. Sunday that Scott Durrin, 29, of Rockville, Md., had possibly jumped overboard, according to the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard was told Durrin appeared to have been intoxicated, Petty Officer James Judge said.

Durrin fell about 36 feet into the water about 50 miles off the coast of Boca Raton. Crew aboard the Liberty threw life-rings and jackets over the side. Coast Guard crews located Durrin about an hour later.

Return to Top of story

© 2007 All rights reserved.

Man rescued after jumping off cruise ship

(Last updated: 10:15 AM)

MIAMI (AP) — A Maryland man was rescued early today from the ocean off Florida after he reportedly jumped from a cruise ship, the Coast Guard said.

The Carnival Liberty alerted the Coast Guard around 11:35 p.m. Sunday that Scott Durrin, 29, of Rockville, Md., had possibly jumped overboard, according to the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard was told Durrin appeared to have been intoxicated, Petty Officer James Judge said.

Durrin fell about 36 feet into the water about 50 miles off the coast of Boca Raton. Crew aboard the Liberty threw life-rings and jackets over the side. Coast Guard crews located Durrin about an hour later.

Do cruise lines or the Coast Guard assess penalties to people who go overboard due to their own intent or stupidity? Getting drunk and jumping is NOT an accident. It seems like about one person a month goes overboard, resulting in significant expense and lost time. Has there been a documented case of a cruise ship passenger going overboard in the last five years that was not their own fault or intent [i think exceedingly drunk is prima facia evidence of it being their fault, and having sex on the railing is also their fault]?

Do cruise lines or the Coast Guard assess penalties to people who go overboard due to their own intent or stupidity? Getting drunk and jumping is NOT an accident. It seems like about one person a month goes overboard, resulting in significant expense and lost time. Has there been a documented case of a cruise ship passenger going overboard in the last five years that was not their own fault or intent [i think exceedingly drunk is prima facia evidence of it being their fault, and having sex on the railing is also their fault]?

I agree with you completely. I spent several years on air and sea rescue duty with the Coast Guard and to the best of my knowledge there never was an assement to any of the idiots.

This was an apparent suicide by a young man who had been beaten, sodomized, and tortured last year by some other teens. Apparently, he had a very difficult time dealing with the stigma. That's what the lead story on CNN is saying.

One jumped off and did not survive, he was in the Gulf of Mexico. The one just off Miami survived. Totally different persons, one was intentionally done, the other was a drunken stupor jump. Both were Carnival ships I believe.

OnlySister is correct. Carnival had 2 jumpers this week! The 18 year old on the ecstasy did not survive. The drunk did. I have been on Carnival about 6 times and have had my share of drinks, but would NEVER think of jumping....I dont get it.

I know there was talk of possibly arresting this guy on this mornings news. They were considering taking him off in handcuffs and changed their minds. I didn't get to watch the noon or evening news so I don't know what happened. They can assess people for the cost of rescues.

ok just pulled this off the nbc6.net website:

According to the Coast Guard, Scott Durbin, 29, is being detained in protective custody at the Coast Guard station in Dania Beach after he reportedly jumped off the Carnival Liberty Sunday night.

"He's not being arrested. He's being detained in protective custody," Coast Guard spokesperson Dana Warr told NBC 6's Tisha Lewis.

The Coast Guard was told Durbin appeared to have been intoxicated.

Durbin and three friends had been drinking when he decided to get into one of the ship's lifeboats, FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela said.

"He took the ax and was struggling to cut the ropes," she said.

When a security officer tried to get him out of the raft, Durbin jumped into the water, she said.

Durbin fell about 36 feet into the water about 50 miles off the coast of Boca Raton. Crew aboard the Liberty threw life-rings and jackets over the side. Coast Guard crews located Durbin about an hour later.

"We were able to get on scene pretty quickly," Warr said. "It's very fortunate for him. You remember the last cruise ship case where somebody fell or jumped off, we were unable to find him."

Petty Officer James Judge said Durbin was being examined early Monday but he did not know if the man had suffered any injuries. A spokesman for Miami-based Carnival did not immediately return a phone message early Monday.

Cruise lines need to do something about this. Including that unfortunate young man who killed himself on Carnival in the Gulf, that's four who've jumped off ships in the past month, with two being on RCCI ships. Perhaps they need to really stop people from bringing on their own booze, or have their servers stop serving drunks, or perhaps fine those who do the drunken jumping and never allow them or their families to cruise again. Maybe if just one gets a $25,000 fine, this would stop. This kind of thing not only causes problems for the crew, but it's a huge pain in the behind for the passengers who are inconvienced.

Cruise lines need to do something about this. Including that unfortunate young man who killed himself on Carnival in the Gulf, that's four who've jumped off ships in the past month, with two being on RCCI ships. Perhaps they need to really stop people from bringing on their own booze, or have their servers stop serving drunks, or perhaps fine those who do the drunken jumping and never allow them or their families to cruise again. Maybe if just one gets a $25,000 fine, this would stop. This kind of thing not only causes problems for the crew, but it's a huge pain in the behind for the passengers who are inconvienced.

Stopping the smuggling of liquor and holding the servers responsible if they serve someone who is drunk, perhaps would help. I don't think I've ever seen a drunk that was bad off enough to do something stupid like jumping, be able to rationalize the consequences of their actions, such as fines or being banned from cruising.

This story is above is quite sad and he was so young. But those people who are drunk and getting into the life boats plzzzzzz .. I dont even like to lean on rails... I think a fine would be in order for sure...

happy sailing

jules

Perhaps making the drunk or his family responsible for the costs to the ship and the coast guard might deter further idiocy!

The drunk needs to be responsible for HIM or her self, NOT their family, they have enough embarresment for the drunk as it is, and that is punishment enough for them.

Here is a link to the story of the young man who died after jumping off the ship Sunday..Not a pretty story...

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/attack-survivor-dies-in-cruise-ship-jump/20070702224709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Oh my how sad that is--how tormented he must have been--now the drunks SHOULD be fined for jumping--I just don't understand this jumping thing...is there not a chance they could be pulled down under the waves of the ship? I also find it hard to believe that there are those who drink so much they really don't know what they are doing.

And unless you're over 7 ft tall, there's no way to just fall overboard. The drunks have to be standing on the railing or furniture to fall over. My oldest son is 6'5" and even leaning over, there's no way he just falls overboard. And what about that couple on the Princess cruise? Everyone knows they were having some sort of "personal encounter" on the railing when they both fell overboard. Never did believe the story the guy told as to why they were naked when fished out---"yeah, like I knew we could float better if we were, like, naked so we took our clothes off". OK!!!

Archived