Any suggestions for Sitka?

Luvtotrav

This is a wonderful walking city. Consider the Sitka heritage park, purchase the cheap guidebook to enhance your look at the poles. The Raptor center is worthy of admission. If you want puffins- this is the most accessable port- boat trip to St. Lazaria island. Request their visitor guide www.sitka.org

Budget Queen,

Do the puffins migrate? If yes, will they be around in August? I would love to see them when we are in Sitka!!

Erin & Brent

"Friends are the family that you choose for yourself"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EPD:

Budget Queen,

Do the puffins migrate? If yes, will they be around in August? I would love to see them when we are in Sitka!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Puffins are generally still there in August, which is when you asked about?You can get local to take you out to Lazaria or do the long sea otter quest which also goes out to Lazaria.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Allen Marine- does NOT go to St. Lazaria on all the long trips. Most probably but not a given. If the puffins are your priority- you are better off with an independent going just there- you will probally also sight marine wildlife. I have gone on this several times independent.

This might sound stupid??!!!....But what are puffins??

The long trip you are speaking of ...Is this the Sea otter and wildlife quest? Or are we better off seeking an independent when we get there? We would like to go on an excursion in Sitka where we may see whales. I am curious about those puffins though icon_smile.gif

NCL Sunward 1983

Carnival 1995

Regal 1998

Explorer of the Seas 2001

Infinity May 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I Love it when we're Cruisin together!!

Last trip to Alaska every tour we did we just booked when we got on shore. We will definately do the same to see the puffins, now that I know they will be there. I can't wait to see them!!!

Erin & Brent

"Friends are the family that you choose for yourself"

Thanks Budget Queen!!!

Those puffins are really beautiful!!! I definately want to see them . What are your choices in Sitka for independent.

Thanks

NCL Sunward 1983

Carnival 1995

Regal 1998

Explorer of the Seas 2001

Infinity May 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I Love it when we're Cruisin together!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Budget Queen:

The Allen Marine is a ship booked excursion. I have always gone independent- twice on a private "tour".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since some people do use ship tours for their tours, this one by Allen is an excellent one. Have done it and an "independent" tour in Sitka and both were very good. Can highly recommend as one of the "better" ship tours -lots of viewing space, really have good luck with wild life, inside and outside viewing, snacks etc. Very friendly operation.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Archived