World cruise-new to Oceania

cwn

We are hoping that the Hong Kong to Athens cruise will be on the list for 2009 or at least something simular. A world cruise is the goal for 2009. I know we need to book asap when things open in a few weeks especially since we are interested in an owners suite - the rear facing ones. Has anyone had one of these suites? Is the balcony large enough for lounging? Which deck is best? A private balcony is very important to us as is the extra cabin space. How is the cabin? Do you get good room service in this cat.

The 2007 and 2008 itineraries are wonderful and hope 2009 will have some of the same ports of call. I enjoyed reading the log kept by a passenger on this springs world cruise. We are very interested in the cruise line's overland trips to the Taj Mahal and Angkor Wat. Has anyone done either of these trips? How was the transportation, the hotels?

We have taken 1 to 3 week cruise vacations once or twice a year for the past 20 years on HAL, Curard, Silver Seas and Princess with the old Royal Princess being our favorite ship. We like the smaller ships, but bigger seems to be the name of the game these days. Princess has been our favorite line mainly because we liked the itineraries and their food and the willingness to work with my food issues and give us a table for two. How about Oceania.

I would love any information on life on Oceania for a month. What about the ports, what are some or the good shore trips? Is it worth getting a private driver?

Thanks.

progress.gif

Life on Oceania for a month is heavenly..There will be no world cruise per se but lots of long trips for us cruiseaholics!!

Owners Suites are beautiful and very comfortable on each ship they have been completely redone..you will love them!!

Jan

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that there is no plan for a long segment or group of segments- Asia to Europe in the spring of 2009 like there has been for the last two years? Our plan is to do a fly, land and long cruise to work our way around the world. I do hope their 2009 spring cruise schedule will allow for us to sail with them.

Is there an owners suite location that is better than the others?

Has any one done any of the land overnight trips during the SE Asia cruises?

In 2009 there should be the same group of cruises there were in 2007 and 2008..I thought you were asking for a world cruise..IMHO 7119 or 7114 are the quietest of the Owners suites

Jan

cwn:

If you insist on a world cruise and on a smaller ship, Silversea has one from January 2008 for 110 days. Since you like the owner's suite, you must be able to afford it, in a silver suite (700 sq.ft.), it will be about $100,000 per person double occupancy. Since you have cruised Silversea before, you must be a Venetian Society member, why don't you visit their website and take it from there. Oceania is nice, but as Jancruz has said, there is no plan for world cruises. If you do go, try to post your experience on the Silversea column of this board, to share the trip with the rest of us who do not have the means to go!

cwn,

I understand what you are meaning. You want to do a cruise say for 35 days or more, then do some land trips and finally fly home, making it a sort of round the world experience.

We will be on this years Hong Kong to Athens cruise and have booked the Taj Mahal excursion and the overnight in Luxor. I think this itinerary first became available around October last year for 2008. We booked in early November, a good 17 months before sailing.

I have read that the Owners Suite balconies are biggest on Deck 6 but am not sure how quiet they are in that position.

We are looking forward to this wonderful itinerary and if you want to read about this years trip go to: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528321 This is a wonderful diary of the entire cruise.

Jennie

You are right, we are looking at the Seabourn Hong Kong to Istanbul - 54 days- for 2009(actually have a CS cat on deposit). I had found that Oceania thread while it was active and followed the trip, sounded great! Oceania' SEAsia and Middle East part is so close to Seabourn's, plus I like the way Oceania does the Angok Wat trip so you have a little time in each post. All that combined has really caused me to question which is the best for us and what we want to do and see.

My husband has no interest in being on a ship for 100 days or so. We like to explore own our on too much. Our plan is to fly to Honolulu and revisit places we love for a week or so then fly to New Zealand, spend some time, a week or so, then on to Australia, do some diving etc for a couple of weeks. We have not been to either country. From there we will go on to Hong Kong for a few days before we board the ship. After the cruise we plan to fly to Rome then drive to Amsterdamn and fly home. If we go with Oceania we will do some of the Greek Islands and Istanbul before we head to Rome. We are planning for three or four months. We have already visited the ports at the begining and end of these cruises. The middle ones will be new.

Cost is always a consideration and we want a suite for for a long cruise. We did not enjoy Silver Seas Wind as much as some other ships- especially for the money involved! I guess that is why I keep looking at Oceania-there are so many good reviews-it is the right size and has one seating dinning (a must) -paying by the glass for drinks is not a problem, nor is tipping. It takes way more in the drink department than we do to make up the cost difference. I am looking for imput on Oceania trips because I think we will be able to book a cabin soon for 2009.

I will look forward to readinf about your Taj Mahal experience. have a great cruise.

I was on the same trip this year and did both the Taj and Luxor..I cannot tell you that I would not have missed either trip for anything!!

The Taj is so beautiful it takes your breath away and made me tear up!!

One thing to be aware of is the heat..it was 113 degrees when we were at the Taj..so cool clothing and lots of water is really important..

The hotel was wonderful and the meals excellent..

I will be happy to answer any questions you have!

Jan

Forgive me for injecting a question here, but my curiosity is aroused. Cwn, what did you mean by "paying by the glass for drinks...?" Do you mean you can't order a bottle of wine, but must buy it by the glass?

Forgive me for injecting a question here, but my curiosity is aroused. Cwn, what did you mean by "paying by the glass for drinks...?" Do you mean you can't order a bottle of wine, but must buy it by the glass?

On Oceania you can buy a bottle wine or bring your own (corkage fee charged)

I think on Seabourn it is included maybe that is the reason for the statement.

Yes, Seabourn and Silver Seas have drinks and wine included, at least most labels. Oceania and lines like Princess are by the glass(liquor and wine) or by the bottle (wine or in some cases small bottles of liquor).

Yes, we have also brought wine on board-on a 19 day cruise from China to Seatle. Bought the wine in China, it was OK, but not to many labels we knew. We are not going to waste luggage weight on hauling wine from the US. We just buy what we want on the ship. Getting what we want on board, having a suite and tipping has never been as costly on say Princess as the fares on the all inclussive ships, but that is not the issue. We like to eat all our meals in the full service dinning room and really like the ships with only one seating otherwise we eat at the late seating. But the main thing we look at is the itinerary and the cabin(size and location). This time Seabourn and Oceania have a very simular itinerary and I am having a hard time. More days and extra Med ports, smaller ship or fewer days mostly same SEAsia and Middle East ports, larger ship.

Jancruzi.

Sorry, some how I missed your reply on the trips. Can you give me more detail on the Taj trip. I haven't found a post on that one. Where did you start and end? How were the Hotels and the flights. I know it will be hot, but it is a not to be missed experience! Any tips good, bad or something different you might have done? Actually for the Taj Mahal or Luxor, since we want to take this cruise to be able to see these wonders and have the comfort of the ship also. Thanks.

We were in a 6th level owners suite, loved it, balcony larger than 7th level. quiet & delightfully comfortable. Perfect for a long cruise. Easy to pickup wine in port & enjoyable to have wine w/appetizers on the balcony. Enjoy your trip - Oceania provides excellent food, perfect size & great friendly service. Shirl

Archived